Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:46 pm 

I just got a call about a buck that was shot this morning, they found a pool of blood about 8" around and then "nothing" and then backed out for a couple of hours.

Sounds perfect until I find out 8-10 people have been out there for 2 hours walking circles. :(

On one hand I say it is close by so I may as well try then on the other hand I feel like I'm setting my dog up for failure.

Would you take this call?

If it influences your opinion this is an 8 1/2 month old pup who's last 2 tracks have been in excess off 200 yards and 20 & 24 hours old.

All opinions appreciated.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:59 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Unless you have smart hunters I am going to say that 90% of the time you will have every tom dick and harry out there looking for the deer before you get the call. Even though I belive you want your dog to have sucessfull tracks you have to take them in the beginning, you will start to learn your dog and the way it reacts on a good trail and one thats no good.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:29 am 

It has been my experience on a call that it is never what they tell you on the phone, they have already been all over the area-and if the deer is nearby chances are they have pushed him even farther. The blood trail is never as bad as they make it out to be, and the hunter always made a good shot. I got a call on a big deer a month ago--same scenerio as above. After a unsuccessful recovery I stated my opinion that the deer was not hurt-not what they wanted to hear or believe. They took the deer last week, he had been grazed on the brisket. I use my dog on the ranch and take few calls--if a deer leaves the road/scendero/field I do not push the deer at all.. Will wait at least 30 min. and go get the dog-I have a very high success rate doing this. If you can get your friends to call you when they take a deer-no matter if the trail is short it will help your dog plus set him up later on for a tough track. It is a win/win situation for you and your friends, It is my opinion that a young dog needs all the positive tracks he/she can get. If I can help with any questions let me know.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:12 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I second what has already been said. I will say that a young dog would have trouble with a track that had no blood after the initial spot. Once Blue has experience, a track with no blood will be no trouble. I would have not taken that call with that young of a dog. I know that you and Blue need experience, but get that experience from better tracks. You will learn how Blue works and how to read him. Remember that he is young. He is a good dog, but nothing compared to what he will be when he is around 4 years. You have a ways to go, so take it easy, and enjoy the ride. It will be the best ride (other than with your boys) that you will take.

Keven is 100% right in saying that the hunters will not tell you what all they have done. That is why questions are so important when you are first talking to them. Usually, they will trip themselves up and you will find that numerous people have been all over the trail. In the hunters behalf, I understand that they would rather find the deer themselves than pay a dog to find it. The hunters that I have tracked for are completely in the dark about how a dog works and what the hunter should do or not do. I have had hunters that would admit that the shot was a bad shot, but not many. Most of the time, it was a good shot, according the the person that shot it. They will blame the dog, or anyone other than themselves! But, thats ok. Thats human nature. The fact is that if the deer was down, the dog would find it.

Take tracks that you determine that Blue can find the deer. That doesnt mean turn down ones that people have tracked all up, because you will be turning down most calls if you go on that premise alone. But, take the calls that you think sound promising, kinda go by your gut feeling besides the questions. You will make mistakes, but dont beat yourself up on it. You and Blue have a lot to learn and the only way you will learn is by experience. And that means sometimes taking a bad call.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » General » Around the Campfire