Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:36 am 

I got to feel Belle's puppies move last night!!! So excited, Monday we find out how many are coming! Belle has started nesting, in fact has made spot under the window a/c unit, she pulls the drapes over her and now won't let Sam sleep next to her anymore. Poor Sam he doesn't understand why he can't sleep next to Belle. His feelings were hurt when she growled and barked at him to get away last night. :p

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:37 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Poor Sam. I understand what you are going thru.

When Lucy was pregnant with her second litter- out of Bull, Larry was about 6 mo old. He was constantly around Lucy up until the pups were born. Then, she wouldnt let him anywhere near her or the pups. He was so very funny tho. He wanted to get close to those pups so very bad. Whenever Lucy would go outside, he would go lay with the pups. Lucy finally got to where she didnt mind him there and he would look over the edge of the pool, resting his chin on the pool. He even regurgitated food for the pups!! Lucy never did that, but Larry did! :)) It took me a while to figure out what was going on. He would only throw up in the pool with the pups. And, it wasnt a lot. Crazy dog- he really loved those pups. But, when he had his own litter, he was rather aloof to them.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:02 am 

Oh my that is too funny about Larry. But I don't see Sam sharing food in any way .... he's a glutton if we don't watch him.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how every one is going to react to Belle having pups. Leia our heeler mix has been grooming her lately and the b*tch fits have lessened, Luc our blue heeler is just walking around like he's unloved ... no matter how much attention he gets! :)) Wish us luck we get this dang puppy pen finished before the pups come. My smashed fingers and Shane's back has caused some delays. :O3

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:49 am 

Confirmed with the Vet this morning we will have 7 for sure, possibly 8 and he also adjusted back a week to June 27th, like I had calculated originally. Only thing he was worried about was that her milk should be coming in more than it has. Any advice on getting her to produce her milk?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:10 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

In the picture I saw on FB, it looked like her milk was starting to come in, and she's still 10 days away. I really wouldn't worry about it. Our dogs have never had trouble feeding their babies, but my brother gave his dog one of those calcium chews that women take for osteoporosis every day, and she had LOADS of milk. I'm not suggesting that b/c I haven't researched it, but I thought it was interesting.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:28 am 

AmberLowMiddleton wrote:
In the picture I saw on FB, it looked like her milk was starting to come in, and she's still 10 days away. I really wouldn't worry about it. Our dogs have never had trouble feeding their babies, but my brother gave his dog one of those calcium chews that women take for osteoporosis every day, and she had LOADS of milk. I'm not suggesting that b/c I haven't researched it, but I thought it was interesting.

Thanks Amber. That's what I was thinking and the milk is coming in, I guess the vet figures she should be coming in more... but shoot she's still got time! And I agree on the calcium chews since it's not researched. Just thought if there was any certain food or RAW (hey Betty!!?) diet that may help with producing more milk.
I'm on reading duty right now on whelping so I can be as prepared as I can when she gives birth. I'm hoping she gives birth BEFORE Shane goes out of town. We have her little den set up and all ready and she has CLAIMED her area... everyone else gets chased away. lol!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:34 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I'm like Amber, I wouldnt worry about it as yet.

I do know that there are things that will increase her milk, but will have to find it. She should, if she didnt have quite enough milk at first, that the sucking of the pups would increase it. Will find the info for you.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:47 pm 

You should be able to express some liquid from her teats about two days before she delivers.The first thing that comes out is not milk anyway, it's colostrum... Giving the mother dog any dairy product will enhance milk production....

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:08 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Laurie,

I dont expect you to have any problems. Sit easy and let mother nature take care of things. IF any problems occur, such as not enough milk, you can deal with it then.

The mother does not need any extra calcium before whelping. If you are raw feeding, you might even notice that the mother will quit eating bone a couple of weeks before whelping. Too much calcium can cause problems. Then, if, she doesnt produce enough milk, then you can give her calcium. But, I would not give it before.

The first 'milk' will be colostrum and is very important. It contains all of the good stuff that puppies need for the immune system. The bitch produces this for a couple of days, I believe. If some thing does happen to where the mama doesnt produce enough milk for all the puppies, then you would want to give goats milk to the pups, including some goats colostrum if you can find it. My neighbors raise goats and they always have goats colostrum in the freezer in case they need it. With a little work, you should be able to find some goat rancher that has it. Maybe they might even make powdered goat colostrum, dont know, but maybe. Cow colostrum would be the next best thing, then go to regular goat milk.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:33 pm 

Thanks Clifford! I figured since we already are able to do that then we're good on the milk. It actually started doing that last week if you pull on her teats.

Betty, thank you for the extra info and you're right she hasn't been chowing down on bones like she used to the last 2 weeks. I'm thinking I'm just a little anxious so anything and everything sounds like a huge issue ... I'm sure once everything starts things will be just fine. I'm apparently the only one with the nerves right now.

lol Although Belle keeps giving her stomach a look every time a pup gives a strong kick or roll like "What the Hell was THAT?!" She's just as lovey as all get out right now. She's ecstatic if you get down and lay with her. She'll lay right down and fall asleep and not move.

Vet says there's 7 for sure and they're all little ... but crammed pack in there right now. I hope she delivers next week so they don't get too much bigger than they are now for whelping. :-ss Just nervous Nelly here until I have pups born and I'm probably over thinking everything and she'll handle everything just fine. #-o

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:31 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

She'll probably have them when you're sleeping, and you won't even be able to help. :))

When Pearl had her puppies in February, my cousin Heath stopped by and asked when she had them. DJ told him that she wasn't due for a few more days, and Heath said, "Well, there are 8 puppies in her dog house!" :-o A few hours before, she wasn't even showing signs of being in labor!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:49 pm 

AmberLowMiddleton wrote:
She'll probably have them when you're sleeping, and you won't even be able to help. :))

When Pearl had her puppies in February, my cousin Heath stopped by and asked when she had them. DJ told him that she wasn't due for a few more days, and Heath said, "Well, there are 8 puppies in her dog house!" :-o A few hours before, she wasn't even showing signs of being in labor!

I would be one happy camper if that happened! Less for me to stress on before it happens, just wake up and puppies! Wheee! =p~ I'm such a idjit sometimes and I ALWAYS overthink when I'm excited ... but this has been one of my longest excitement runs in a long time and I may now be on delusional excitement. :-@ or just talking everyone's ears off. lol!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:28 am 

Belle has turned her nose up to food this morning and we tried everything to get her to eat ...

Post Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:58 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

try ice cream.....

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:25 pm 

If she doesn't eat tonight I will get her some doggie ice cream!

Board index » General » Around the Campfire