Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post subject: Tank, the Sar dog
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:12 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

We received this letter from Kathy McDaniel today.

Tank, Yeager, Karma and I would like to express our deep appreciation for the recent hospitality that was extended to us in Burnett, Texas during The Lacy Field Day. To say that we enjoyed ourselves is downplaying what we felt from each person that we encountered.

I would personally like to thank again the individuals that allowed me to tag along during the Jr blood trials as well as the opportunity to expose Tank to the Hogs. Part of training for search work is to expose our dogs to different environments so that we as K9 handlers can watch our dogs interact whether it be at a PR event with 50 children crowding around or a gathering with people and other types of animals.

Thank you to the "victim" that I placed in the woods and the other two that I did not know about. Tank is currently being trained for area search and he found everyone in the area. He did his job.

As you are aware a portion of the funds raised with the fundraiser were allocated to help support Tank and myself as we continue down the road of Lacy in SAR. I only feel it important for the organization to know how Tank and I came to be a team.
I had never heard of the breed until last year at the Reliant Dog Show. Once I was told of their tracking capabilities and hunting I was determined to make this my next dog. I was warned that this breed could be standoffish and not to social. I began my research and through this organization I was provided a list of breeders. I contacted a couple- no pups on the ground. One breeder Bleed Blue Kennels was due to have pups soon. We talked some I explained who I was and what I wanted to do. John was completely on board. The more I read the more I was hooked. The day came when I took Tank home. It was love at first sight. Never in my years did a pup show such focus and prey drive at the mere age of 7 weeks.
One week later we began our training. Tank amazes me everyday with the look of intelligence he gives me, the devotion he shows in wanting to please me, his unlimited amount of energy. He won't stop until I make him and then it is like a person on a sugar crash. He will crash only to be rejuvenated and ready to go do it all over again. Nothing fazes him ,well the horse that kicked him slowed him down, but he has incredible nerve strength. He is protective yet sociable.

We have just begun our journey and we thank you for the support you provided to someone whom you had never met. I know you all believed in the breed but you also believed in me as a handler. Although I am a volunteer, this does not lessen the deep personal commitment of time, tears, laughter and energy that I will put forth to fulfill our role as Certified K9Team Tank.

The Lacy Breed is like no other and we hope to make each of our supporters proud and educate the rest of the world.

Thank you

Team Tank

Courtney is traveling today, so I am posting this. The NLDA is so proud to have Kathy and Tank as a part of our group! We all look forward to Kathy keeping us updated on Tanks success!

Thanks, Kathy!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Re: Tank, the Sar dog
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:10 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Thanks for the update, Kathy. We are proud of you and Tank!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:11 pm 

Sounds like the both of you are doing a great job

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:20 am 

Kathy & Tank, Karma (my little love bug) and Yaeger! Great job @ the Working Dog Field day and Tank you are awesome!!! You show them SARs what a Lacy can do and that's amazing! Glad to get to know you and look forward to seeing you all at upcoming events.

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:49 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Welcome to the forum, Kathy!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:05 am 

I just wanted to update the people who are supporters of Tank on a decision that I have made regarding his working.
I have made the decision to change Tank from wilderness live find to Human Remains Detection. This decision was made mainly due to the type of call outs that my team is receiving and the other teams. It was also made so that we can apply for the Texas Task Force in the future. Tank has been in training since he was 8 weeks old and has excelled in his training. He knows the game and has already proven that this transition will be one of ease. I started working with him three weeks ago with only a scented ball. At one point, I had gotten the ball stuck in a tree (will never be on a softball team) Tank used one tree to get to the other to get the scented ball. Last week, I had several source out some very difficult as Yeager will be getting an outside cert in October. If Tank continues he could easily get a certification in October as well. I really didn't think that Tank would find the hard hides but he like always surprised me and found the hard ones first. He constantly amazes me and is truly a great dog who I want to ensure has an opportunity to show what a real working dog can do. I don't want people to think that I am cross training as I am not. In SAR world a cross trained would be once a dog has a certification in one area and then you train a new alert, etc for a new area. :O3

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:10 am 

How awesome Kathy!!! sounds like you are really working everyone to their best abilities. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress!

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:22 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

congratulations Kathy....Tank will excel in whatever you ask of him.........Just hope he doesnt have to look for me....

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Board index » General » Around the Campfire