Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: a good read
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:59 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:46 pm
Posts: 4640 ... n=20130621

By Dr. Becker

According to the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center, more than 180,000 pets were exposed to potentially toxic substances in 2012. And for the fifth year running, topping the list are prescription human medications.

Top 10 Pet Poisons in 2012

Prescription medications (for humans). The Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) fielded 25,000 human prescription drug poisoning calls in 2012. The top three culprits were blood pressure pills, antidepressants, and painkillers (opioids and prescription NSAIDs). The most common scenario: a pet owner drops a pill on the floor and the dog grabs it right up.
Insecticides. While only 11 percent of calls to the APCC were for insecticide poisoning, over half of all calls involving cats are related to insecticides. The APCC advises pet owners to always read the label before applying any insecticide directly on your pet, in your home, or in your yard.
Over-the-counter medications (for humans). These drugs accounted for more than 18,000 calls to the APCC in 2012. Medications included acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), and naproxen, as well as herbal and other types of supplements (for example, fish oil). Many of these products smell or taste yummy to pets.
Veterinary products and medications. These products accounted for about six percent of poisoning calls in 2012. Flavored pills and liquids make it easier to give supplements and medications, but it also makes them more enticing to pets.
Household products. This category includes everything from logs for the fireplace to cleaning agents, and accounted for more than 10,000 calls to the APCC last year.
People food. Over five percent of 2012 cases reported to the APCC concerned pets ingesting people food. One particularly problematic substance is xylitol, a sugar substitute that is highly toxic to dogs.
Chocolate. Chocolate remains the number one toxic people food pets ingest – the APCC received over 8,500 calls last year for just this one substance.
Plants. The APCC received over 7,000 calls about animals eating potentially toxic plants. Cats lead dogs in this category. You can refer to this excellent ASPCA resource for more information.
Rodenticides. About four percent of calls to the APCC last year were related to rodent bait poisoning. You can learn more about the dangers of rodent bait here, here and here.
Lawn and garden products. Fertilizers and other lawn and garden products accounted for about 3,600 calls to the APCC in 2012.

Dog Dies After Ingesting a Penny

In a very sad story out of Colorado, a little dog lost her life after eating a very common household item – a penny. Pennies produced after 1982 contain zinc, which is toxic to dogs and cats.

Sierra, a West Highland White Terrier, was always attracted to coins, according to her owner, Maryann Goldstein, in an interview with CBS Denver. In fact, as a puppy, Sierra ate 32 cents and underwent surgery to remove the coins.

This past March, Sierra became very ill and Goldstein took her to the vet. X-rays showed a quarter and a penny in her stomach. The penny, though smaller than the quarter, was the bigger problem because of its zinc content.

The reason pennies are so dangerous is because gastric acid in the stomach eats into the penny very quickly, releasing the zinc and causing it to be absorbed by the body. Zinc inhibits the production of red blood cells and the longer the exposure to the zinc, the greater the damage to red blood cells.

Zinc toxicity symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy, jaundice, and red-tinged urine.

According to Dr. Rebecca Jackson, a staff veterinarian at Petplan pet insurance:

"Zinc toxicosis is more commonly seen in dogs, but cats can get sick from eating pennies, too," warned Jackson. "Be sure to bank your spare change before curious pets can get their paws on it -- and if they do, get them to the emergency vet immediately."

Smelly Socks and Shoulder Pads

According to Dr. Karen Halligan, director of veterinary services for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Los Angeles, hundreds of pets require surgery every year to remove articles of clothing and similar items from their stomachs and intestines.

There was the toy Poodle that swallowed a tube sock. Dr. Halligan made the dog vomit and removed a foot-long sock from the tiny dog. Dirty socks are among the most commonly ingested items of clothing. Your pet really loves your socks because they smell like you.

There was also the Great Dane who required multiple surgeries after eating shoulder pads.

While these stories may seem funny, the fact is non-food items such as these can be very dangerous if ingested by a pet. Fabric items don’t appear on x-rays, and within about 48 hours, a pet who has swallowed a piece of clothing will have symptoms like vomiting, loss of appetite and lethargy.

If ingested cloth is removed early, normally the pet has a full recovery. But if your dog (or much less commonly, your cat) eats something you aren’t aware of and time passes, the intestines will begin to die from lack of a blood supply. Sometimes the only option to save the pet is to remove the intestines. Surgeries to deal with odd things pets swallow are costly – at least $2,500 to $5,000 according to Dr. Halligan.

Left untreated, an ingested cloth item can result in a fatal case of dehydration or peritonitis caused by bacteria invading the stomach.

If you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please contact your veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center’s 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435.


"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

 Post subject: Re: a good read
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:14 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:48 pm
Posts: 2226
Location: Alto, TX
I saw a case on "Dr. Pol" where a dog died from ingesting a toothpick. They took her in because she wasn't acting right, and he kept her for observation. The next morning she was dead, and he found that the toothpick had punctured her intestine in the necropsy. Sad.

“We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It’s the best deal man has ever made.”
M. Facklam

 Post subject: Re: a good read
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:19 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 9:57 am
Posts: 350
Location: Spicewood, TX
Oh lordy, do I need to have my lacy litter come with a warning about socks and shoes? [-x

B/c both Belle but mainly Sam are notorious for this ... so far everything thing seems to come out the other end. But this is great info to have in case something one day does not pass thru.

Lauri Lowry
Texas Hill Country Trackers

 Post subject: Re: a good read
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:57 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:43 pm
Posts: 1607
Location: Dripping Springs, Texas
you have to be careful about anything a dog can chew on.......just ask Clifford what they found in his little girls belly.........she lived, but it was very expensive and preventable...

Funny how falling feels like flying....for a little while

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: