Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post subject: Guarantee pup will work?
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:20 am 

Ran into something new while negotiating a puppy sale and I would love to hear your experience or advice.

We had a buyer call wanting us to guarantee our pup will hunt. Well at 8 weeks old I don't believe I can honestly guarantee that pup will be tracking, herding, etc. 6 months down the line. We are already introducing them to the scent and taste of blood and will be starting the pups on blood tracking and hopefully some hog baying before they go to their new homes. We worked it out with this buyer that Shane will pick the best one with the most potential for what the buyer wants and if it doesn't work out we'll take the pup back and help replace it.

I would like to know what you would do in this situation or what you have done for your pup buyers in the past. The more info the better prepared we are to handle anything thrown our way! ;)

(If I posted in the wrong area please move it to the correct area!!)

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:46 am 

I had someone,whom I consider to be a wise man,tell me that if someone guarantees the pup will hunt ,they are lying.It doesnt just come down to genetics,but also training.Id tell the buyer that you provide a pup with drive,its up to them to provide the training

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:49 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Laurie,

I wouldnt guarantee that the pup would work to anyone. You have done what you can and that's about it.

You dont have to sell those pups to anyone that you dont want to. If this person or any other person that might come along is making you uncomfortable, send them packing. The best advise that anyone can give you about selling your pups is to go with your gut feeling. There are other pups out there for sale and if you have ANY bad feelings about a prospective buyer, just wait for another. Listen to your heart or your gut!

James has posted his response since I started this and I agree with him 100%.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:00 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

We guarantee *most* of our puppies. There have been a couple that were sold to do jobs that are "non-traditional" for a Lacy dog (like working with a falconer), and a couple that didn't show as much drive as the rest and were sold as ranch companions. The rest were sold with a guarantee that they would do the job the new owners and I had discussed.

Out of five litters, there has been one dog that didn't work like her new owner wanted her to, and we made that right with him. We offered him a puppy from another litter, and he has been really happy with it.

If you are going to put a guarantee on your pups, you have to be clear about your terms. We tell the buyers that we want regular updates about how the dog is working, for multiple reasons. 1) To help us make breeding decisions down the line, and 2) To avoid getting a call out of the blue when it's two years old saying that it didn't work so they shot it, and now they want another one.

Like I said, we've only had this issue once, and it was well worth giving the man another dog to maintain our reputation and the reputation of the breed.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:03 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sorry, I was typing while HardKnocks and Betty posted. They are right that a lot of the working ability is up to the new owner. That's one reason we stay in touch with our buyers...to make sure the owners are giving the dogs training and opportunities to work.

Also, I guess guaranteeing that a dog will work can mean different things to different people. Our guarantee means that if the dog doesn't work, we will give them another one.

Lauri, we've discussed this before, but Betty is right that you have to GO WITH YOUR GUT when you're selling dogs. If a buyer says all the right things, but you still feel uneasy about them, don't sell to them. They are your dogs, and you have every right to say "Sorry, but no" to anyone.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:13 am 

If someone had never driven before and didn't have a map, would you sell them a car and guarantee they would make it to Canada? If they head south its never gonna happen. Even though ur car is perfectly capable of getting there. Dogs (and cars) need maintenance and direction to get them where u want to be.

From the Evo

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:49 am 

Thank you James, Amber, Betty and Brandon!

[/quote]
Hard Knocks wrote:
I had someone,whom I consider to be a wise man,tell me that if someone guarantees the pup will hunt ,they are lying.It doesnt just come down to genetics,but also training.Id tell the buyer that you provide a pup with drive,its up to them to provide the training

See this is what we were saying to the buyer. We can provide the a pup from our litter with a good drive but once it leaves here it's up to you how you work and train the dog to work.

The buyer was wording what he wanted the wrong way at the end of the call we all figured out what he's needing ... a pup with a drive for him to train. :) But please keep the advice and info coming!!

AmberLowMiddleton wrote:
If you are going to put a guarantee on your pups, you have to be clear about your terms. We tell the buyers that we want regular updates about how the dog is working, for multiple reasons. 1) To help us make breeding decisions down the line, and 2) To avoid getting a call out of the blue when it's two years old saying that it didn't work so they shot it, and now they want another one.

Like I said, we've only had this issue once, and it was well worth giving the man another dog to maintain our reputation and the reputation of the breed.

Now that second issue Amber is what is worrying me the most, being a mother I have that tendency to worry about where my child is and if he's taken care of ... I have this same tendency with my pups, 1) Will this be a good home for him/her? 2) Will this buyer work the pup like it needs?, etc. I have this huge fear of opening up FB, watching the news or seeing an article and there will be a story about one of our pups being in a shelter, abused or killed. We've had to turn down a few that gave us the weird "gut" feeling and a few who are just looking for a pet and thought a Lacy would be cool. We feel bad but cannot in good conscience let one go to a home not suited to a Lacy.

All great info thank you and keep it coming!!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:59 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Laurie,

You will never loose the love for your pups. I felt pretty good about all of the pups that I sold out of 3 litters.

The first litter I sold a red pup to the stud owner for pick of the litter. That pup went to a home that was less than desirable, but I didnt know it at the time. He was slashed while out hog hunting and turned septic and died. I never got over that, but at the same time, I felt like he was better off than living his life in a crapped kennel and not having a good life.

Another pup went to a young man that I dearly loved and went to work with him everyday on a ranch. The pup got caught up with a back hoe and died. I never, never will get over that.

Others have been stolen, others have been killed also and some I dont hear from and some have wonderful homes. I keep up with some of the families and some have just gone away, but I did the best that I could do and that is all you can do. It hurts tremendously when one of them gets hurt, but you live with it. Just do the best that you can do.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:20 am 

Awww Betty :ymhug: Well I know life is a hard reality at times and I'll have to deal with some of those you mentioned Betty over the years. I'll just have to toughen up. :(( lol!

Board index » General » Around the Campfire