Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:09 pm 

I just joined the forum this morning but have read a good bit of it over the past few days. WOW!! What a dedicated group. My main reason for joining was education. No I don't have a Lacy yet and won't for a few years yet. I currently have a 13 YO Australian Cattle Dog who, when I am home was a constant shadow until a couple of years ago. Now he just lies around where he can see me and watches. I am never out of his sight. In the past he has worked cows and been in charge of ranch security. He had a VERY strong prey drive when he was younger and loved to work. We sold the cows in 2010 at the beginning of the drought for a lot of reasons but timing was good and while I miss messing with them it was a good move at the time.

I first heard of Lacys a few years ago when a friend bought a pair to track with. Unfortunately his died from a cause a still am not sure about. I like the size and work ethic and the fact that they are a short haired breed. My cow dog sheds a dog everyday. My plan is that I can retire in 4 years and I will look for a new dog at that time. I work 60 miles from home and no one is home during the day so it is not fair to the pup. At that time I will also buy a few cows and get back into that as well as I will have the time and the commute will be shorter. I live in Hemphill and work in Woodville. I am looking forward to learning about Lacys and hope to attend some events to see them in action. My choice for my next dog will either be a Lacy or another cow dog. My wife votes for the Lacy because of the shedding issue as our dogs come in the house.

On a different note, I was reading about the TPW Meetings about using dogs to track wounded deer and just as I finished reading the posts the phone rang and it was the guy from TPW wanting to know what facilities we had for his meeting (I am the IT director for the school district where the meeting is being held). I thought that a pretty strange coincidence. If any of y'all are at the meeting in Hemphill, make yourself known, I'd love to meet you...I'll be the guy with the big mustache...

Anyway, thanks for the add and I look forward to learning....

Werner

The reason that animal-rights groups oppose fur coats rather than leather jackets is because it's easier -and safer - to protest against rich women than motorcycle gangs.

"Horses aren’t lazy and they’re not greedy and they’re not jealous and they’re not spiteful, they’re not hateful. They’re not that way. But the human can sometimes only describe a horse in the way that they view other human beings."
- Buck Brannaman

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:31 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

We're glad to have you here! It sounds like a Lacy would be a good fit for you.

p.s. There aren't too many East Texans on the forum, but I'm one of them! We live in Alto, and I work in Nacogdoches.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:34 pm 

Thanks...and I noticed that East Texas was lacking in representation...I saw you in the breeders list. You are the closest I think. Would love to see your dogs sometime...

The reason that animal-rights groups oppose fur coats rather than leather jackets is because it's easier -and safer - to protest against rich women than motorcycle gangs.

"Horses aren’t lazy and they’re not greedy and they’re not jealous and they’re not spiteful, they’re not hateful. They’re not that way. But the human can sometimes only describe a horse in the way that they view other human beings."
- Buck Brannaman

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:43 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sure thing!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:49 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Welcome! Glad to have you here!

(and I'm originally from Longview, for what it's worth....:))

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:39 pm 

Thanks! That is about 2 hrs north.

- Buck Brannaman

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:04 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Hey! Glad to have you here! Hopefully you will have a lacy dog in your future!

I kept my sisters dog for her for a couple of weeks back in May. Her dog is part blue heeler and something else in the way of cow dog. She has pretty black pointy ears and nice white long hair. I am still vacuuming up long white hair!!! Smart little dog, lots of energy and reacted well to staying here on the ranch for a while. But, that long hair!! Geez!! Get a lacy dog!! :)) :))

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:21 pm 

Thanks...yes they do shed!!! Some shed once/twice a year all at once by blowing their coat. Lasts a couple of weeks but I have found most shed constantly...A LOT!!! They are a great dog and yes smart. I'd have a couple of them, but my wife says otherwise and I am too old to live alone...;) She says one is enough...But she might consider 2 Lacys...HMMMMM!!!

As I stated earlier, my next dog is some years away...with 4 horses and a cow dog, I have enough to say grace over already...

- Buck Brannaman

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:03 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Welcome! Glad you found us! :-BD

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:24 pm 

Thanks...I can't believe the info here.

- Buck Brannaman

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:59 am 

Welcome Werner! And I can totally relate to the shedding besides Belle and SAm and their 7 lil lacy pups we also have a full blood blue heeler and a mix heeler and the fur balls abound no matter if you just swept/vacuumed or not!! But I love them as much as our Lacys! Welcome to the group and enjoy the plethora of info!!

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:54 pm 

Thanks, and yes there is LOTS of info.

One question I have concerning Lacys, are there genetic conditions that exist in the breed? Cowdogs can be born deaf and can have Progressive Retina Atrophy as well as hip dysplasia. Many cowdog breeders do a BAER test for hearing on their pups and there is a genetic test to determine if the dog is not effected, is a carrier, or will develop PRA. My dog is classed as a B, carrier but won't develop. He has been cut but if we had bred him he should have been bred to an A if I remember correctly. I am not interested in breeding though.

Thanks again..

- Buck Brannaman

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:45 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Good questions. I have never heard of a Lacy with PRA or deafness.

There have been a few cases of hip dysplasia that I know about, but it's not common. They are generally very healthy dogs.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:59 pm 

Thanks, the deafness in a cowdog is thought to be from the Dalmatian in them. There are several breeds that suffer from PRA. It usually manifest itself in older dogs 7-8 years old. HD is an horrible condition, and many breeders have their breeding stock tested (xray) I think it is done at 2 YO,

- Buck Brannaman

Board index » General » Around the Campfire