Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:32 pm 

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. My husband and I adopted a puppy around a year and a half ago. He was left behind, tied at a dog park. We had no idea what he could be but did some research, the older he got. At first, we finally thought we knew what he might be, a cur. But then he didn't continue to grow. He had a lot of cur characteristics and the coloring so we thought he might just be from someone's small game line. I took him home to my dad who is a deer and small game hunter in MO. He said he agreed, he looked very cur like.
Now my dog is about 1 1/2, to the best estimates of a vet.
He is around 35 lbs. Hes very athletic but not very quick. He has a black mouth with dark gums and black roof of his mouth. Very high energy, displays scent hound tracking charactoristics(he searches open fields with almost 100% accuracy using a serphentine pattern to find a toy or ball), is a guarding the home type with a deep bark, attracted to moving things and small game, birds, lizards and squirrels. He is also very vocal when he wants something(to go outside, hungry, etc).
Axel is an unusual red cinnamon with little to no white markings(a few tiny spots on feet), faded mask, slight sadle or dark stripe, and black or dark grey on the tail. The underside of his tail has a pure cinamon red stripe I often see in Lacy dog pictures.
We came across info on Blue Lacy dogs and right away felt, that was our boy! We're pretty certain he's a lacy, I feel he could be a mix. His ears randomly fold forward and will stay that way for a while. Please let me know what you think. We found him in and live in Texas.

Attachments:
File comment: ears folded- usually when he's serious of perplexed
redo.JPG
redo.JPG [ 219.97 KiB | Viewed 1062 times ]
File comment: ousidewithdad
axplay.jpeg
axplay.jpeg [ 168.51 KiB | Viewed 1065 times ]
File comment: insideagain
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 119.91 KiB | Viewed 1065 times ]
File comment: outside
outside ax.jpeg
outside ax.jpeg [ 112.59 KiB | Viewed 1065 times ]
File comment: inside
axel1.jpeg
axel1.jpeg [ 145.45 KiB | Viewed 1065 times ]

Last edited by MariaMartin1 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:44 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Hi Maria! He doesn't look like a Lacy to me, but it's possible that he is a Lacy mix. He resembles a lacy/pit bull mix that my cousin used to have. He looks like a sweet dog...I hate that he was abandoned. I'm glad he's found a happy home with you.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:55 pm 

Thank you! We're glad hes with us too! I have the feeling sometimes that he does look a little pitty, and others at the dog park say it too. But when standing right next to one, he doesnt look much like one at all. All his body lines are different. I do sometimes feel his head looks large as compared to other Lacy dog pictures. We havent met one in person yet.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:09 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Maria,

I guess leaving a dog at a dog park is better than dumping it out of a car somewhere out in the sticks! We had a wonderful dog that my son found abandoned out at the lake. She was just the best dog, but nearly dead when the kids found her. So very sad. But, your dog is very fortunate now and has a good life, so it turned out good in the long run for him!

I am like Amber and think that he probably has some pit in him. He's definitely not all lacy, altho some pure bred lacys dont look like lacys! LOL! But, I would say that he's not. Doesnt make him any less the dog tho, as you well know.

Glad to have you here and hope that you will continue to take part in the forum. We have other people who dont have pure bred lacys and everyone is welcome.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:52 pm 

Thank you Betty, appreciate the warm welcome as well and your opinion. Knowing what he is won't make him any more loved, and he is. We just wish we could just ask him!

Board index » General » Around the Campfire