Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post subject: What's the Difference
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:11 am 

OK, I am going to go out on a limb a bit and ask the question I can't seem to find the answer to. What is the difference between NDLA and TLGDA? It would appear that it is the same breed. Are there two different registries or are all the Lacys registered with NLDA and that is just a group that is more interested in game than say herding?

I hope I have not opened a can of worms but as the saying goes..."Inquiring minds want to know!" Feel free to PM me if you would rather...

Thanks

Werner

The reason that animal-rights groups oppose fur coats rather than leather jackets is because it's easier -and safer - to protest against rich women than motorcycle gangs.

"Horses aren’t lazy and they’re not greedy and they’re not jealous and they’re not spiteful, they’re not hateful. They’re not that way. But the human can sometimes only describe a horse in the way that they view other human beings."
- Buck Brannaman

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:56 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

You are right, not the first time this question has been asked. I looked for some of those threads, but couldnt find them and things have changed a bit since those discussions, so here is my answer.

Unfortunately, there are more than just 2 registries for the Lacy breed. Dog owners are picky people and lacy dog owners are no exception. It seems that different people have different ideas about how to control the breed.

In 2008, the NLDA was started by a handful of people who were not happy with the way the TLGDA was being run. ( I was one of them.) There were different ideas about what a lacy should look like, whether it should work, dog things. Then, there were some who were unhappy with the way the association was run and how it's members were treated. So, a new association was formed to try and deal with these problems.

Now, in 2013, there are 5 registries for the lacy breed and 4 different associations. The circumstances are just about the same. Some people were not happy with the way the breed was being treated and others were not happy about how the people were treated. I might add that some of these people were not happy at the TLGDA, the ABLA and now are not happy with the NLDA. Go figure. These people have gone their own ways and are starting their own groups and their own registries based on what they believe. Time will tell if any of the new registries or the new groups are going to do anything for the breed or merely give discontents a place to be discontent.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:25 pm 

Thanks!
I suspected it was something along those lines and it happens in LOTS of associations. And yes time will tell where things go...

Thanks again.

Werner

The reason that animal-rights groups oppose fur coats rather than leather jackets is because it's easier -and safer - to protest against rich women than motorcycle gangs.

"Horses aren’t lazy and they’re not greedy and they’re not jealous and they’re not spiteful, they’re not hateful. They’re not that way. But the human can sometimes only describe a horse in the way that they view other human beings."
- Buck Brannaman

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

This is a very good question.

First, in the lacy world, there is a difference between the breed clubs and their chosen registries. Both the TLGDA and the NLDA are nonprofit organizations operating for the purpose of breed conservation.

The NLDA was formed because some breeders and owners felt the other organization wasn't doing enough to conserve the breed. At that time, there were very real differences between the philosophies of the lacy groups and what each believed should be done to further the breed.
For example, the founders and supporters of the NLDA feared the Lacy Dog would not survive as a true working breed and go the way of so many AKC breeds that have had their working characteristics sacrificed to the alter of popular demand and financial gain.
Therefore, the NLDA believed (and still believes) that a dog must prove itself in the field, and meet some basic conformance guidelines before it is bred.

The NLDA fullfills its mission statement by:

- Encouraging breeding only working lacys that meet the standard.
- Providing opportunities for breeders and owners to prove their dogs meets a standard for conformation or working ability (via the registry and sanctioned field trial.)
- Sponsoring events and trials where the dog's qualities can be proven. (Performance competitions and titling are something the NLDA has been aiming for since the very beginning. It is a huge undertaking that will continue to evolve over time, but we have put our mission statement in to action by hosting several major performance events.)
- Encouraging breeders to plan breedings carefully, selling pups to the appropriate home - preferrably a working home.
- Having a code of ethics, and encouraging breeders with higher standards to become approved breeders
- Promoting only breeders that take their goals to produce structurally sound, healthy, working Lacy dogs to heart. (Not simply providing an advertising section for breeders.)
- Placing an emphasis on improving the breed - not just selling dogs
- Educating the public about the welfare and enjoyment of dogs with informative articles and seminars

About the registries...

A registry records dogs and keeps track of them. These records usually also include a pedigree, and any titles earned by any of the dogs involved. The Animal Research Foundation became the first registry to recognize the Lacy breed in 1976.

So, if all a registry does is record information, why are there so many? What's the difference?

Some registries are stricter than others as to what dogs they will register. The NLDR gives breeders a little more freedom to breed the way they wish because the NLDR allows breeders to register litters than have been line bred. It is an open stud book registry, however, to keep quality dogs coming into the gene pool single dog registration is open only to dogs that meet the breed standard, show working ability, and appear free from genetic defects.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:57 pm 

Yes for the breed to survive intact, it must be cared for. I have seen several "registered cowdogs" that would not herd and had no idea what a cow was. My wife was given a yorkie that was "registered." Turns out is was a "kitchen table" registry and if that dog is a purebred yorkie I'll kiss your... eh..foot!

I bought my cowdog from a highly recommended breeder in Calif. He knew what he was doing from day one and has been a great dog. Sire and dam were both working dogs and did limited breedings. I can appreciate the work that goes into keeping a breed prue and true to it's roots.

Thanks

- Buck Brannaman

Board index » General » Around the Campfire