Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:57 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I'm building a kennel for Pecos and Sadie. It is 16'x16'x8'. I have everything figured out except the ground cover. I was planning on using approximately 4" of 3/8" washed limestone contained by 6"x6" timbers inside the kennel but then I was told I could have problems with moisture retention in the rock. I am building the kennel on a slope and cutting drainage slots in the timbers so it should drain. I was told I should go with concrete pavers... So what is working for you?

Attachments:
uploadfromtaptalk1376366201266.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1376366201266.jpg [ 162.11 KiB | Viewed 1308 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:43 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

We have a concrete pad under ours. Definitely expensive, but it was something we had been looking forward to for years.

I have heard of folks using pavers, but those seem just about as expensive as pouring concrete. The plus side to pavers is that they can be moved.

This was before we added the roof and the platforms.

Attachments:
download.jpg
download.jpg [ 54.33 KiB | Viewed 1296 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:55 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

AmberLowMiddleton wrote:
We have a concrete pad under ours. Definitely expensive, but it was something we had been looking forward to for years.

I have heard of folks using pavers, but those seem just about as expensive as pouring concrete. The plus side to pavers is that they can be moved.

This was before we added the roof and the platforms.

Wow, that is a very nice setup!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:05 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

We had our dogs on dirt for about 6 years before we could afford the new kennels. We love the new setup!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:14 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I've been toying with the idea of this new fake grass, it's pet safe and has drainage holes. The ground around here is all rock so they can't dig out. But I would like them to be a little more comfortable.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:14 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

robby wrote:
I've been toying with the idea of this new fake grass, it's pet safe and has drainage holes. The ground around here is all rock so they can't dig out. But I would like them to be a little more comfortable.

Seems like it would get gross eventually. Do you just spray it off?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:26 am 

We've used pavers this last time with the pups kennel. So far easy clean up .... but there is a little issue of drainage but I think we just need to space the pavers out a little more to allow better drainage. But all in all I'm pretty happy with it. :) Pups only go whee in there now ... they wait to go the the "big dogs" backyard for poo lol!! Such well behaved pups!

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:20 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

AmberLowMiddleton wrote:
robby wrote:

Seems like it would get gross eventually. Do you just spray it off?

From what I have read you can just hose it down. Idk?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:30 pm 
NLDA Board of Directors

robby wrote:

I never claimed to be an expert but plastic grass sounds like an expensive Lacy chew toy to me.

Your area looks heavily shaded. Not sure how the soil is so wondering how fast it would drain and dry. I wonder if cement might be a good idea.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:44 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Jamie wrote:
robby wrote:

I never claimed to be an expert but plastic grass sounds like an expensive Lacy chew toy to me.

Your area looks heavily shaded. Not sure how the soil is so wondering how fast it would drain and dry. I wonder if cement might be a good idea.

The soil is sand. I was thinking the slope would help with drainage. Not sure what I am going with now....

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:15 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

robby wrote:
.... it's pet safe.....blah, blah, blah

I gotta agree with Jamie.....

pet safe is a long way from Lacy-safe! :))

Board index » General » Around the Campfire