Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post subject: Dishonest People
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:59 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Two incidents in the past couple of weeks have me so riled up, I just need to vent.

A few weeks ago when Courtney was up for the TPWD meetings, she and DJ took the dogs out hog hunting. They caught one, then rolled out after another one. DJ tracked them to a county road, where two cars were stopped. He yelled out from several hundred yards away, and one car drove off. When he finally made it to the road (he was running), Aggie and Hazel were missing their cut collars and tracking collars, and the man was trying to catch Howdy. He had the collars in his hand...he was just going to take them! After a few words, he handed the collars to DJ and drove off. All's well that ends well, I suppose. I'm glad our dogs are clearly branded with a big 'M'. Otherwise, he probably would have taken them along with the collars.

Now, you all know about my cousin's son Cooper passing away last week. Some of you may not know that he also has a Lacy dog named Cooper. His wife always liked the name, and when it didn't look like they'd be having more kids, they used the name for their dog. They tried changing his name when baby Cooper came along, but it just didn't stick. Heath lost his dog Cooper while he was hunting back in May. We looked for weeks, but never found him. Some of you probably remember him from the field day.

It turns out that a teenage kid picked him up that same night he was lost and took his collar off. He's been hunting him ever since! Another teenage boy (with morals...not to be confused with the first guy) found out, and told him to give the dog back. He refused, saying that Cooper was his best dog. So the good kid gave him a day or so to do the right thing, then called Heath to let him know. So last night, DJ, Heath, and Aaron took a little trip to the kid's house. When his mom answered the door and Aaron told him why they were there, he bolted off the couch and out the back.

Sure enough, Cooper was in the back yard. He could barely get up because he has an awful cut on his side that's infected. His tail was going 90 miles an hour when he saw Heath, though! The boys who called about him wouldn't take a reward and were happy to help. That took some courage, since they go to school with the thief.

If there's a point to these stories, I guess it's this. If you hog hunt, or do any other activities where it's possible that your dog could get away from you, you should consider freeze branding your dog. It discourages a thief, and helps ID the dog if they are stolen. We recovered our dog Aggie this way over three years ago, and I think it discouraged the guys that DJ encountered a few weeks ago.

Post subject: Re: Dishonest People
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:08 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

My hat is off to the young man who did the right thing

My offer still stands.....

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:22 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

So glad that Heath got Cooper back!! And, hope that Cooper will recover from his wound!

Our world has gotten pretty bad, you see it everywhere, but perhaps there are still good people around and those boys who told about Cooper are some of them. Hats off to those boys!

Freeze branding is the way to go if your dog is ever out of your site, that's for sure!!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:24 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Atfulldraw wrote:
My hat is off to the young man who did the right thing

My offer still stands.....

One of them is the kid on TBH that we talked about last week.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:41 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I am glad to hear that that boy did the right thing. That certainly took courage.

I assume that freeze branding works pretty much the same way as heat branding? Just use liquid nitrogen to get your brand very cold? I need to do this to my dogs.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:54 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yes, you use liquid nitrogen. You have to use a brand that's made for freeze branding, though. We got ours here: https://www.lhbrandingirons.com/branders/freeze.asp. Nothing custom, just a 4-inch "M". My brother has a custom freeze brand that's the same as his cattle brand.

We treat the dogs with Acepromazine (prescription from the vet) to keep them calm, then trim the hair and rub alcohol over the area (IMPORTANT) before branding. It's kind of tricky...you want to hold the brand there long enough that the hair turns white, but not so long that the hair won't grow back. It has taken several dogs to get it right.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:06 pm 

Glad he got the dog back. DJ and I discussed the freeze branding the Sat of the meeting. We have our horses done. Thankfully this has a happy ending and the cut will heal.

Trust everyone but brand your livestock!

Werner

The reason that animal-rights groups oppose fur coats rather than leather jackets is because it's easier -and safer - to protest against rich women than motorcycle gangs.

"Horses aren’t lazy and they’re not greedy and they’re not jealous and they’re not spiteful, they’re not hateful. They’re not that way. But the human can sometimes only describe a horse in the way that they view other human beings."
- Buck Brannaman

Board index » General » Around the Campfire