Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:03 pm 

Well I have had trav for awhile and I am wondering am I doing the right thing I dont want to see trav go but I want him to be a great all around dog that can hunt, track and retrieve and be friendly if he sees that I am ok with the person (might be asking to much). I have talked out with my grandmother and she said that the new puppy smell is wearing off. Which isnt true, by the way.

see my case is my house has fenced in back yard I live in town and the gates dont shut the fence stands about 6.5ft and is all metal, and on top of that we got cats. And no outside dog kennel either

I do go out to my buddies place every time I get the chance and trav enjoys running off leash with his dog blue a 6 year old blue lacy (female) it makes me feel bad that he cant run like that more often

I have always wanted a lacy, and I knew what kind of dog I was buying.

I am wondering if I am teaching my boy correctly and help me out I am trying to be a better master. I do get on to him via hands on if I see him doing something wrong like chewing my bed or his bed, plastic (he learned to sallow fast and avoid me in the process. I grab his muzzle as focus and listen to me treatment. 70% it works. I have tried gentle, and stern

I dont know if he is afraid of me or not for instance the leash slipped out of my hand I called him and he came back. Same with my grandmother (sje isnt used to walking a big dog (compared to buddy) she did tell me that when I was at my dads house overnight she said that when he was outside on the leash he would walk slowly looking for me. Poor boy

I want to be able to go to one of those meets so maybe trav and I can get some knowledge and meet some of yall. and he can learn snake avoidance and tracking I would like to teach him to retrieve dove (I want to use him this season) he does great with a tennis ball (I havemt used a gun yet while throwing the ball) but dropping it is another story and I haven't gun broken him yet did shoot at a squirrel (missed)with my 20 gauge he didnt seem to care. But getting him to stay by my side off the leash until I say go get the dove

thank yall for reading my post, I had to talk to somebody outside of family and friends

Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:15 am 
Site Admin

When it comes to dog behavior modification and training, I'm a big proponent of positive-reinforcement and operant-conditioning dog training. It drives some people crazy but, in a nutshell, it means concentrating on setting a dog up to succeed, and then rewarding him when he does succeed, rather than punishing him for mistakes. I believe these techniques are effective and better for building a strong relationship with the dog.

I'm not completely against aversives (e-collar, swatting, ect) and I do use them in my training, but the problem is most people don't know how to use them correctly. Their timing is usually bad and their actions often send conflicting messages to the dog...potentially leading to anxiety and fear.

For example, when you are punishing a dog, never force him to make eye contact with you. A dog going in to submission will avert their gaze. Direct eye contact - in their language - is a direct challenge.

On the other hand, it's really easy to be successful with positive reinforcement. You almost can't mess it up.

The idea is that behavior is under the control of its consequences. Since we know this, we can deliberately manipulate consequences to control the dog's behavior.

Instead of "getting on to" your dog every time he has done something bad, try rewarding him every time you catch him doing something good. Chewing on a bone instead of your furniture? Good boy! Remember, you can't scold them for doing something if you didn't catch them in the act of doing it. It just doesn't work with dogs. If you do catch him in the act of chewing on an off-limits item, it's much more effective to offer a trade up item rather than punish him for what he is doing. In other words, you can't have that but you can have this...and offer a more desirable item like a ball or bone.

Some people might see this is rewarding the dog for chewing on furniture but if you elect to use punishment, each punishment makes you the bad guy and increases the likelihood the dog will delay his entire day's chewing for when you are gone so he can behave normally in peace. Direct the bulk of your efforts at getting the dog chewing chew toys in your presence and absence by 1) making the chew toys really attractive and interesting 2) giving the dog no other choices and 3) playing interactive games incorporating the toys.

I highly recommend "The Power of Positive Dog Training" and "Culture Clash" books by Pat Miller and Jean Donaldson. Leerburg.com also has an online library of excellent instructional videos and articles on reward based training for working dogs.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:47 am 

Thank ya Courtney. I will have to look in to the books. When I first got trav he was a wreck not minding and not wanting to do anything. but I kept calm and used treats. like crazy he hated the leash so I would use treats, sane for kennel now he will go in when ever I say. And sit and lay down now I can leave him in the truck and he won't chew on anything like last time (long story short he chewed up the wires to my sat radio lucky I had an extra set of each wire so its all good) I use a mixed style of punishment and positive, when he is chewing on my bed thats bad dog, when he is chewing his toys good dog.

a loud but stern voice command works most of the time I gave the hands on as worst one ever and thats is seldom. (ex he was aggravating my grandmother while we were watching a movie, long story short I gave the command to lay down he dropped in that position (she was in the recliner and he was in her lap trying to mess with buddy.

I am for raising a great dog to be obedient in public or when other people or dog are around.

I thought about using a choke chain for him pulling so much but I am worried that I might hurt him. (My buddy raised blue on a choke chain and she is easy to walk she is 6 years and. only pulls when she is in a new area). I really want to break him of pulling towards cats and cars (when we walk in the cemetery a car will pass and he will be wanting to pull) same with cats he got hit on the side of the face no claws by a stray and strange he still goes back. And ones at the house also. I dont want him to think that I dont want him to not chase I just want him not to pull on the leash any while walking.
I guess we have some wired training ideas but I respect any way that works for the owner. Buddy I dont even have to raise my voice expect when he is outside and he needs to come back in. Gma does the same to him also.

I am glad I was able to start this post I have been wondering about how to ask questions and in general how to type it up. I don't do well with typing so I am sorry if post doesn't make sense to yall. (Not important just me taking)

On the bright side of things we have our daily routine down I wake up around 7 most days lay in bed till 7:10 put my contacts in, etc get dressed and me and trav are out the door and he does his morning duties..

trav has helped me out also used to I would stay up till 6:00am on most nights or 3:00am on a regular night and sleep till noon now I am in bed by 1:00am at the latest and I am up by 7 every morning and 8 on a rare occasion

Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:08 am 
Site Admin

Correction collars (choke chains, pinch collars, ect) aren't really for leash pullers. Though pinch collars can be effective at limiting the amount of pull, they don't really train the dog not to pull. The result is, as soon as you get a normal collar on the dog, he goes right back to pulling.

There are some halters and collars made to assist handlers in teaching their dog to heel better by giving you more control of the head, but most dogs can be conditioned to walk beautifully with a loose leash with your average dog collar.

Start with anti pull training. The rule of the game is that, while on a walk with the dog, you may only move forward if the leash is loose. As soon as the dog tightens the leash, you freeze. The loose leash is the green light (move forward) and the tight leash is the red light (we stop.) Moving in the direction your dog wants to go is a potent reinforcer, which you must never give for pulling on the leash.
The first time you try this, your dog will no doubt lunge and pull. Simply wait until, by chance, he slackens the leash. Then start walking. As soon as you do, he will re-energize and, no doubt, pull to the end of the leash, causing you to stop again. And so on. It will take many repetitions so be patient.

Now, if you have an entrenched pulling problem, or a fierce lunger, play the game with heavier penalties. When the dog starts lunging or pulling, retreat some or turn 180 degrees and walk the other way.

You should also start working on your recall...as that will give you more control over a dog that lunges at exciting objects or animals. Leash work and e collars are beautiful tools for teaching recall though I would recommend starting with a leash before moving on to the e collar.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:32 am 

thank ya we will start first yhing this morning

Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:55 pm 

Well that didn't go as planned I out him on a short leash and made him walk right beside me

Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:30 pm 

Well me and trav went to see my buddy lucky its a 60mi drive round trip which isnt bad. Man trav was excited to be free (off leash) he enjoyed being with blue. Right now both lacys are outside I am worried about him running off but since blue is around he won't they have shade (under a camper and a water supply trough.

I will be out here more when it gets cooler weather working with trav. On blood trail and varmint hunting. That will be his supper or breakfast only way I will feed raw meat to him. .22 ammo is cheaper then kibble but bad thing is I will have to bring home at least a lot of meat. squirrels, coons and jack rabbits. Or when I get deer processed get the meat for him (I will post questions in the alt food thread)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:17 pm 

I forgot to add it was so funny to watch trav walk across a cattle guard for the first time he could go around but went through. Should had a video camera out. He did fall through twice on the last cattle guard on the way back to the house. I didn't try to help him out since I dont have the best footing on one. And he has to be able to do it on his own.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:23 pm 

I uploaded new photos in the pic section. He is such a great dog I am proud of him. Here Tuesday it was late about 10:30pm or later we had both lacys out so while I was getting stuff put up trav and blue were out. Well I went to the kennel and called him it took 10 times but he came I say 50ft or more but we had cattle pins in the way. And he came back I was impressed, he knows kennel well even when its not his normal kennel. He does howl for a while and cry but I assume it lasts for 5min maybe then he is quiet.

He enjoyed being able to run free I wish it could have lasted longer but he will be gone for a week.

Blue the 6 year old (fixed) blue lacy is the best teacher my buddy will have her get after stuff and trav is trying to understand, plus when its them 2 she helps him like if he gets 2 far away from the masters she will heard him back to the camper.

Travler is living up to his name, we had both dogs in my truck while we went out of town and both dogs went to sleep while we were away not bad for a 6 month old. and we were gone for 10hrs. They had ac 99% of the day and cold water.

I will say are lacys normally jealous of other dogs I was petting trav and blue came up wanting petting also, (trav does the same thing even at home) with bud

also another pup moment we needed to let the dogs run so we got out of the truck then blue took off running home trav he didnt understand and turned around and waited then figured out to follow blue

Board index » General » Around the Campfire