Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post subject: what a day
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:23 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Boy, I have had a screw ball day.

It started out nice. The weather was cool enough for me to go walking with Roy and the dogs. As we were headed back, Larry startled up a white tail fawn. It was a really new one and never had a chance. I was furious with the dogs. They would not stop and would not come back. Roy shot the gun off several times and they still would not break off. They got into so much trouble! Lucy knew not to chase it, but the boys were in hot pursuit and were focused on the fawn. I hate it that they chase babies and it pretty much makes me sick at my stomach. I know that to them, it is no different from chasing a jack rabbit, but to me it sure is.

My donkey, 'Sissy' has foundered and we kept her in the pens for several days and had been giving her medicine. We let the donkeys out a couple of days ago, but hadnt seen them today, so this evening, we went looking for them. We found them and Sissy was laying down and wouldnt get up. Roy finally got her up and we made the way to the pens. I had the oat bucket and sat it in the pen thinking that she would go into the pens to get the oats.

As I sat the bucket down, I heard a rattlesnake. Ugh! That is so scary when you hear them, but cant see them! I didnt know whether to go right, go left or up!! I just decided to walk forward and go get the gun. When I got back with the shotgun, I still couldnt see the snake. They are just so well camouflaged. Then I saw him moving. Since we had the donkeys in the pen for a few days, there is a lot of grain laying around out there. The snake had a bulge, so he had eaten something that was eating the grain. My adrenalin levels like to have never go back down!

We got the medicine down Sissy and she is laying down in the pen we are all relaxing, but I would have rather not had this day!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Re: what a day
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:22 am 

:ymhug: I so sorry you had a bad day. Anything I can do to make it better? How is Sissy today? Is the rattlesnake gone?

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:28 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sissy is doing much better this morning. Thanks. We'll see how she feels later this evening. She has always had pretty sorry feet.

Yes, the rattlesnake is gone. A couple of 12 ga shots took care of him!! I get so wound up when I see a rattlesnake that I dont aim hardly at all, so it takes more than on shot to kill one. :)) :)) :)) One night I had to try and shot a rattler and for some stupid reason, I got the pistol instead of a shot gun. I was holding a Q Beam in one hand and trying to shoot the gun with the other. I unloaded a whole clip and didnt hit the snake once!!! :))

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:13 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

lol :D

hope today is a better day!

Board index » General » Around the Campfire