Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:01 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I thought the example of comparing your dog's rib cage to your hand was really interesting. We keep our dogs lean and, like the author, we've received comments about them being "too skinny" or "starving".

http://www.successjustclicks.com/fit-fido-or-fat-fido/

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:13 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Great article! I just hate to see so many fat dogs around. My dogs, except maybe Abe, are always a little overweight. I'm thinking that Lucy may have a thyroid condition, for several reasons, but she is lacking in energy and is a bit overweight. Larry, he's just a chow hound and would weigh a LOT more if I let him. When the weather is right, they can all eat more and burn it off, but when it is too hot, or too cold, they will put on more weight, the same as I do!

One thing that people should know is that if you are feeding a kibble that has too many carbohydrates in it, your dog will likely put on weight. A dog turns protein into carbs. So, if you are feeding a kibble that has high protein and then carbs too, then it will be harder to maintain a lower weight because the dog is using the protein and turning it into carbs for energy. Then, he may have carbs left over and those carbs will then be stored as fat. If you are feeding your dog a cup of kibble and the dog is putting on weight- you feel the need to cut back on the cup of feed- that still doesnt bring the weight down- the dog is exercising but is still too heavy, try changing to a different feed. It can make a difference.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:45 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Betty, a thyroid test is relatively cheap and easy...just a blood draw. The medicine to treat hypothyroidism is cheap as well.

We went way too long before we got our Rat Terrier Chief tested. I just thought he had less energy and gained weight because he was getting older. When his hair started falling out, we had him tested, and once he started the medicine, he was like a different dog!

Because we keep our dogs on the lean side, it IS easy to let them get too thin. DJ adjusts their rations constantly, depending on the weather (they burn more calories when it's cold), how much they're hunting, etc.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:42 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I just need to take Lucy into San Angelo. I think that she loses more hair than the other 2 dogs and her feet are doing something funny. The vet in Menard said that I had her calcium to phosphorus ratio messed up, but one of the people on the raw chat said that low thyroid would cause the ligaments to loosen. So, I'm going to have her tested, just dont get it done. She was vaccinated a lot for the first 2 years of her life and that they say runs along with low thyroid dogs.

Adjusting the dogs food is something that a lot of people just dont think about. It certainly makes sense. I dont know about other breeds, but the lacys that I am familiar with can lose every bit of fat when they are working or running a lot. Billy is so hyper that he is always too thin looking and people comment on it all the time. But, if he puts on the least little bit of extra, all he has to do is run out here a bit and it is all gone. I could probably put some weight on him, but it would take a lot of food! :))

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » General » Around the Campfire