Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:28 pm 

My 6 month old puppy passed away today from Meningitis. I am devastated to say the least. I went to a vet on Monday (turned out to be a bad decision because of a wrong diagnosis) and found a new vet today who was way more helpful and knowledgeable. Unfortunately, it was too late. If it was detected earlier, much more could have been done. I have since educated myself on this horrible disease. I am heartbroken and can't believe Remi is gone. He was an awesome Lacy and also my first one. I was so looking forward to hunting with him this year. I guess all I can do at this point is try to move on, but this has really hit me where it hurts.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Breaks my heart...
Very sorry for your loss

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:40 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

So sorry. :(

I've never heard of a dog with meningitis, so I googled to research the symptoms. Apparently, it is often misdiagnosed because it's pretty rare. Thanks for making us aware, Crash.

Quote:
Neurological symptoms often associated with meningitis, meningoencephalitis, and meningomyelitis such as impaired movement, altered mental state, and seizures, may be profound and progressive. Other symptoms generally seen in dogs suffering from one of these conditions include:

Depression
Shock
Low blood pressure
Fever
Vomiting
Abnormal increase in sensitivity to various stimuli (hyperesthesia)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:54 am 

Crash, as a first time owner of a 5 month old lacy myself, I can't imagine how hurt and saddened you are. My thoughts are with you friend. Keep your head up and know that you did all you could for your puppy but somethings are TOTALLY out of our control.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:25 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Meningitis is a bug a boo in any case. I looked up the causes and the causes would be hard to figure out unless the dog just had a specific wound or bite around the neck and head. The rest of the symptoms are pretty nondescript.

Quote:
Causes of Canine Meningitis

Most cases of canine meningitis are caused by secondary complications of diseases that start elsewhere in the body, including viral, protozoan, bacterial, parasitic or fungal infections. The causative agent can be anything that triggers inflammation in a particular dog. Some known causes are infected bite wounds on the head and neck and bacterial migration to the brain from infected sinuses, nasal passages, middle ears or elsewhere. Meningitis can also be aseptic, which means that it is caused by a non-bacterial disease of unknown origin. Aseptic meningitis tends to affect young, large-breed dogs between 4 and 24 months of age. Meningitis is an extremely serious condition that should not be taken lightly.
Preventing Meningitis

There is no way to prevent meningitis, other than preventing the underlying cause of the condition. As with most illnesses, a high-quality diet, free access to fresh water, good housing conditions and regular veterinary check-ups will support a healthy immune system in domestic dogs and reduce the risk of infectious disease.

I am so sorry for your loss. To lose a puppy is awful and my heart goes out to you.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:30 pm 

Oh Crash so sorry to hear about Remington passing away. Our hearts go out to you.

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:28 am 

My heart aches for you. I am so sorry for your loss.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:11 pm 

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. I have educated myself on this disease. Remi showed several symptoms of it and the first vet should have at least let me know it was a possibility. He looked drunk (losing balance and falling over), back spasms that looked like full body cramps at times, pain around the base of the neck, etc.... everything he showed I found as symptoms of meningitis. I told that vet all of these things and no mention of a meningitis possibility. The 2nd vet said there was no way I could have prevented this. He had no bite marks or any sign of inflammation anywhere. I guess I will never know how he got it. I did contact my breeder to let him know what had happened and to ask him if he had ever heard of anything like this before. He has been breeding Lacy's since 1977. He felt very bad about the whole situation and especially for my 6 yr old boy who was very attached to him. He offered to give us a female out of the same litter free of charge. What a classy guy! I brought her home today and she is so sweet and VERY smart! We are excited about the future with her, but will never forget my boy Remi.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:39 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Not only have you educated yourself, but you have educated others by sharing your story. It's so hard to write about losing a pet, but I think that it is always good when we share either the illness or the accident so that others can learn.

I'm glad that your breeder got you the little female, especially for your son. Another dog will not take Remi's place, but it will fill the void and she will find her own place in your heart. They say that your first Lacy is always the best. I dont know about that, but each one is special in their own way and it sounds like your little girl is gonna be a good one.

One of the pups from Lucy's last litter got real sick- dont remember now what it was called, but the dog was in a lot of pain and was also a little paralyzed. When they finally figured out what it was, they were able to save him, but they never had a clue as to where the dog got what he did. It was something that dogs dont even normally get! Anyway, I guess that with them being like they are, it is easy for them to pick up stuff that we wouldnt even know what was. There's no telling what they run across in each and every day!

Good luck with the pup! I'm glad that you got her! :D

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » General » Around the Campfire