Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:33 pm 

Well baby boy is about to be 9 months old next few days, i have some problems with him, and i hope yall can help me out with him. i dont want to rehome him as its not needed. i think this is mostly age related. and bad thing is i cant work with him on this because of how he is around others and plus i stay home all day i dont have much of a life you might say.

1. is behaving around others, today i wanted to let this little girl pet him and it i fought trying to keep him at bay but he won so i put him up, he wasnt aggressive, just hyper.

2. is minding me around others, ok today he slipped past my cuz and wouldnt recall. so i got him by the collar and drug him to the truck about 10 ft maybe.

3. this is a treat for him running off leash at the cemetery its about 3 arces of piece. he enjoys that but again he doesnt seem to mind when he does he runs past me then finally comes around to me.

here's what i would like to happen to take him to people and he minds and lets them pet him. and for him to come to me when i give the command.

thank yall for any advice, i need it i am tempted to go to obedience classes once a week since i dont live close to one that i know of?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:37 pm 

i didnt know rather to post this in training or the general talk.

trav is a great dog but i need to get through his hard head, but i understand most of this will go away with age

off topic but when would be a good time to let him sleep out of his cage at night, he seems to do ok when i take a nap during the day.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:34 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I think that you understand about Travlers age, so I am just going to reaffirm this. Travler is basically a teenager now. He will test you on just about anything. He will obey you one minute, not the next. You need to let him know what you expect and always be consistent in that. He will eventually get to where he minds you MOST of the time.

Lacy's are hard headed. I've gotten in arguments with people over this, but my experience is that they are hard headed, strong willed, whatever you want to call it. Plus, they think for themselves. They will decide if what they want to do is worth the punishment! I'm not a trainer and have always just raised my dogs pretty much like I raised my kids. They are praised when good and yelled at when not. That hasnt done much with Abe- he still barks too much and only shuts up when he wants to. He will decide to bark and flinch when he does, because he knows he's gonna get hit! So, I'm really not the one to tell you how to handle the dog, other than he still needs to age some and to be consistent. Most lacys are pretty much considered grown at about 2 years, so he has some time to go. Then, he will mind you the biggest percent of the time, but it's my experience that they will always do some things that they decide to do regardless. ;)

He can sleep out of his cage when he behaves himself while everyone else is sleeping. My son has a lacy that I would keep in a crate all the time if he was mine. He never sleeps very long and roams the house at all hours. He stays in my grandsons room with the door closed so that he doesnt bother any one else. But, he is an exception, so I would just say, if he sleeps most of the night and doesnt bother anyone else, he would be ok. Some dogs sleep in crates all of their lives. Just depends on what the owner wants, I think.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:00 pm 

thank you betty i always look forward to your advice. he minds about 60% of the time when he is in my bedroom, outside off leash (30%) around people on leash 5%

he still pulls like crazy even with the choke chain, i pop the leash against his back.

i tried discipline via leash in hand when he got into somebody's flowers at the cemetery he darted off when he saw me walking towards him, then i grabbed him by collar and drug him to the road, about 5ft maybe then he sat down tail tucked between legs (right where i was standing) see i dont want him to think i am the bad guy here. same thing yesterday he got past my cuz, and didnt listen to any of us, i grabbed him and through him in the truck, then his gf acts all sad (if you get my point)

and today i had trav in the crate at home, while i was mowing the lawn, well to my surprise gma lets him out, she said he was barking up a storm, so he knows that if he crys he will get her to let him out pretty much. then i get yelled at for telling him to be quiet in a deep harsh tone.

i want to let him sleep with me, i think i am going to try that BUT i have to remember not to get mad when he chews something up, he does scratch the wooden floor of his crate so i am not sure if he is bored or wants out.

do you have any advice on working with him around people,

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:46 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

No, I really dont know much about training. The more that you socialize her, the better it will be for her. Again, dogs are kinda like kids- they tend to misbehave when you least want them to! :))

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:45 pm 

ya, trav doesnt get to see people much which is my falt, only to go on his run then its back to my room, he is a great dog just needs work with people skills.

i dont hang out with people that much either.

so i am thinking about if i am around somebody and he is doing want i want he gets rewarded.

and i am also worried about if i correct him he cowards down, and walks towards me, i dont what him to be scared of me, since i do bob him, but so far i think he understands the difference between me mad and happy, but then again if i get in trouble because my family considers this abuse?

on sleeping out of his cage i think i will let him get a year old first before i think about it, he is only limited to my room

Board index » General » Around the Campfire