Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:13 pm 

Hi everyone, I have a 7 month old blue lacy her name is briar. my question is she has broke out in bumps twice so far. took her to the vet they told me it was a allergic reaction to something and was told to give her Benadryl and it seemed to work but she's getting them back. just looking to see if anyone could help me out thanks for your time.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:13 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The first thing I do with an allergy is to look to the food. Allergies are a sign of the immune system being out of whack. Corn, soy, wheat are all things that will cause an allergic reaction. What one must understand is even if the dog has episodes that come and go, the corn, wheat, soy, or whatever, that the dog may be eating on a regular basis, could be the very cause of the varying episodes. So, my first suggestion is to look at the food and see what you are actually feeding. The best foods are ones that have meat listed first. There is a lot to know about what is in the food that you are feeding and I dont know it, but I do know that you never want to feed corn, wheat or soy. I feed my dogs raw and have for a good while and in that time, a lot of 'good' dog foods have hit the market, so IF you are feeding a dog food that isnt so good, switch to a better one. There are a few websites that tell you how to determine a good food, but I dont know them, but maybe someone else will post them up.

The next thing that I would do is to get some good coconut oil and start feeding her the coconut oil. I figure that people are again thinking that I have gone nuts over coconut oil, but it is doing so much good for so many things. You can get coconut oil at health food stores, Central Market, some HEBs. Pretty generally, the more you pay, the better the oil. If she is having an episode, give her about 2 tsp a day. And, you can put it on the spots. Just slather it all over her. If she is not having an episode, just give her one tsp a day and you will be strengthening her immune system and doing all kinds of good stuff for her.

If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask. Also, read some of the posts under the Dr. Dog part of this forum. If you are interested in raw feeding, I will also be happy to help you with that. Raw feeding will by all means, be the best for an allergic dog.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:48 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I feed her precise holistic complete lamb meal & turkey meal formula with garbanzo beans a cup and a half a day. which the breeder I got her from recommended this food. and I also give her Carlson Norwegian salmon oil tablets 1000mg every other day. also ester-c 250mg daily. this is what the breeder told me to do. does this sound ok or should I make some changes. again thanks anyone with any info.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:38 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Well, that's certainly better than most people feed. Let me do some checking.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:04 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

INGREDIENTS:

Lamb Meal, Garbanzo Beans, Spring Yellow Pea Flour, Spring Yellow Pea Starch, Turkey Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbyl Palmitate), Citrus Fiber, Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Flaxseed, Lecithin, Menhaden Fish Oil, Fat Product (natural source of omega-3 DHA from algae), Chicken Cartilage (source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate), Dried Kelp, Dried Apples, Dried Carrots, Dried Cranberries, Dried Blueberries, Chamomile, Dandelion, Peppermint, Rosemary, Turmeric, Dried Bacillus coagulans fermentation product, Chicory Root (a source of Inulin), Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino¬ Acid Chelate, Biotin, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, DL-Methionine, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Folic Acid, Selenium Yeast, Calcium Iodate.
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Crude Protein 27.00% (min), Crude Fat 17.00% (min), Crude Fiber 3.50% (max), Moisture 10.00% (max), Omega-6 Fatty Acids 2.70% (min)*, Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.55% (min)*, DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 0.10% (min)*, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 25 mg/lb (min)*, Glucosamine 350 mg/kg*, Chondroitin Sulfate 275 mg/kg*
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile.

The first thing that I noticed is that the food itself has fish oils and vit c in it. I dont know how much a dog needs of either, but I would discontinue the additional supplements until you check further on the needs of the dog. The fish oils that are in the food are questionable. There are however, questionable oils in the Carlson also. Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin, so the extra that you are giving is probably not a problem, but until you figure out what is going on, I would not be giving extra supplements.

As I said before, I know little about manufactured dog food. Here is a link to a website that also has a forum and some good links to other websites about dog food. http://dogfoodchat.com/ There are so many dog foods out there that say they are good, then when you look at the ingredients, you find all kinds of stuff that a dog should not be eating. Check out the website and see what you can find. In the mean time, get some coconut oil and start giving it to her. I have just spent an hour trying to find a 'good' dog food and am more confused than when I started!! :))

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:42 pm 

ok betty thank you so much for doing the research ad trying to help me out. im going to check the website out you told me about. Your so right about all the dog foods out there its crazy. I just wanta make sure im giving her the very best so shes healthy. and will be ordering the coconut oil asap thanks again.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:44 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I'm not sure that I helped much, but anytime that something is amiss, it never hurts to look into the food. My husband cannot eat lobster, but he can eat other kinds of shell fish. Allergies rarely make sense. Some dogs are so sensitive to grain that they cannot eat a meat from an animal that has consumed the grain. These are rare conditions, but they can happen. So, Briar could be reacting so something in the food that normally wouldnt bother her, but at times, it does.

Another thing that you can look at is any chemicals that might be used either in the house or in the yard. Think about what she has been exposed to as far as washing clothes and bedding. When I say chemical, I am referring to anything that is foreign to the body, such as washing powder and bedding. If she is breaking out again, think back to anything that you might be doing different. Have you given her any treat that is different? I gave my dog a treat one night that was listed as all natural, blah, blah. Well, pretty soon his head was a mass of bumps! He looked like the dogs in cartoons where they have been stung by a mass of hornets! The only thing that I could figure out was that there was peanut butter in the treats. The bumbs went away fairly soon, but it was pretty strange!

At any rate, good luck in your quest and I hope that the coconut oil will help. I certainly expect it to.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:32 pm 

My blue Gus had the same problem. I changed his food many times. I talked to John Wyble about it and he suggested I use Victor Dog Food. It is glutin free. He has never had the bumps again. I'm sure it was the glutin free and not the brand. Good luck!

Board index » General » Around the Campfire