Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post subject: thinking out loud.
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:08 am 

well I have been wondering if re homing trav is a great idea, I love him but he doesn't get to do anything that a lacy is ment for. I can tell he wants to bay, but that's not allowed because its my gmas cats

any ideas I really dont like the idea about rehoming him.

Post subject: Re: thinking out loud.
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:58 pm 

i guess i fell down about myself when i thought about getting him and all the stuff i would do well that didnt plan out like i wanted but i would love to have him learn some good commands like when he does bay and to guard the truck. and no matter how much i give the command he doesnt seem to listen to me, thats when i lose my temper. like i said before i dont want him to think i am the bad guy here and i try to be good to him. and i know he is a pup 10months old tomorrow.

i have been giving him more freedom from running around in the cemetery, to being outside in the back yard, and to sleeping outside of his crate at night. he is doing great but i still have some trouble maybe making a trip to a learning school for him will be great.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:37 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Ron,

No one can tell you what to do about rehoming your dog. It depends solely on you and what you feel about Travler. A lacy is happiest when it works, but that does not mean that one cant be happy without working. If he is getting out and running, is well fed (which I know he is) and is well treated, then he should be in a good home. Maybe not the "ideal" home, but there are many, many lacys that are not in ideal homes. If you are concerned about you getting mad at him, then try to hold your temper and understand that he is still young. Lucy is 8 and still doesnt always mind us. This breed is known for being a little hard headed and if Trav is being hard headed, then you need to be a little more patient and figure out how to deal with it.

Rehoming a dog, especially one like a lacy, has to be hard on the dog. Robby recently got an older dog. I met the woman in Kerrville and picked the dog up. Then, we had the dog for a couple of days as Rob was out of town. The dog was friendly, but you could tell that her life had just been turned up side down. This dog was rehomed because the owner realized that she wasnt doing as good as she would be if she was out in the country. She is coming around and bonding with Robs family, but as I watched her when I picked her up, I realized that all I had ever thought about rehoming a dog was true. Even if they are not in a great home, it is the home that they know and they have usually bonded with their owner. When an owner has to get rid of the dog, then everything the dog knows changes and it has to affect the dog. If the new home is better, then I guess that what the dog has gone thru was worth it.

At any rate, just do the very best that you can do and if Trav is happy and not having any big issues, then I would say that he is fine. But, like I said, only you will really know and be able to make that decision.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:40 am 

sorry its been awhile since i been on the site.
i knew the lacy breed was hardheaded but i guess 2 hardheads dont mix,
trav is doing well, i just feel bad at times because i try everything to keep him happy. but he still manages to tear up some bed sheets. but i got to learn to keep him from tearing up stuff (he has chew toys) plus another hardhead moment is when i put him in the back seat or make him move so i can see around him well he comes right back to where i dont want him to be. you would think after several hard pushes to the back he would get the point

he is pretty smart dog, i just point at the cage or the back seat, and he goes in well i have to get his attention.

Board index » General » Around the Campfire