Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post subject: looking for a lacy pup
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:04 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Due to all the talk on the Face Book pages about the different groups of lacy dog people and all the drama that always goes along with discussions about the breed, I decided that I would start a post about how to find a good breeder of any breed, but particularly the lacy breed and to find the best pup. I'm pretty sure that this will make some people even more angry than they are, but people need to know, not only for themselves but for this wonderful breed. If anyone has suggestions or comments, please feel free to post.

There are a lot of good lacy breeders. There are good lacy breeders on both the NLDA and the TLGDA. Then, their are ones who are not so good and both groups have had them. I will say that right now, the NLDA only has good ones! Unfortunately, we have just a few, but they are good breeders, breeding good dogs.

When looking for a puppy, people will do a search on the internet, make some calls, etc. Once they find someone that has a puppy, they will generally ask what color is the pup. This is NOT what is important with the lacy breed. A lot of lacy breeders will not even answer emails where the first question is to color. That's what I did, but I was one of those people who knew virtually nothing about the breed, just wanted a tri-colored female lacy.

Either the first or second question will be about the price. This is also not one of the most important questions, altho I can understand it is an important piece of information unless you have a ton of money.

So, what is the first questions you should ask? Right now, this is just all my opinion, and others, hopefully, will have input.

I dont know that I can line these points up in importance, but here are the things that I would do now that I have been in the lacy breeding world for a while.

You want to talk with the breeder him/herself. You do not want to go thru a middle man! I cannot stress that enough. That breeder should be finding the right home for his pups. If that breeder doesnt care enough for his pups to work to find the right home, then you do not want one of his pups. A lot of top notch breeders only breed when they have enough interest from good homes to assure that a litter of puppies will already be placed before the breeding. Some breeders breed once every year or so and those breeders usually have the puppies placed by the time the breeding takes place. If you are looking at a breeder who constantly has puppies for sale- well, that could be a warning sign right there. It's not always the case, but more times than not a person who has a lot of female dogs, a couple of stud dogs and litters on the ground several times a year, I would do a lot of very serious investigation of said breeder.

The lacy breed is a working breed, just in case you dont know that! :D If you dont have a strong hand, dont intend to provide your pup with plenty of stimulation, dont have a job for the pup, then you probably dont need a lacy. This is not always the case, but most of the time it will stand. Lacys were bred to round up hogs and move them to market. They were ranch dogs who could protect the homestead from whatever happened to be about. They may have rested when not working at something, but they were always alert and ready to jump at a seconds notice. These are ACTIVE dogs. They have a high prey drive. They can go in and bay a wild hog, sometimes doing more than baying!, take on coyotes, hunt for mountain lions or climb a tree looking for a squirrel. They thrive on doing that. So, if you are wanting a lacy, talk with your breeder and let that breeder decide if their line of lacys is going to do well in your home. There are breeders of woods dogs that will not sell to you if you dont have a full time, working home. And, by the same token, if you want a pet, you do not want one of their pups.

I will add more, but need to do more than sit at this computer, so I will be back.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:21 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

A potential buyer should obviously ask a lot of questions, but I'd also like to add that if the breeder doesn't ask the buyer any questions, that should throw up a red flag.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

The demand for quality working lacys is high and a lot of breeders keep a waiting list.
Responsible breeders don't usually produce a litter in a breed like this without having a waiting list of a few committed puppy buyers in place.

It's up to the buyer to do their research. If you are looking for a lacy to perform a specific job, look for a breeder that breeds lacys for that purpose (tracking, hog hunting, companion dog, ect.)
You need to get a pup from parents whose drive and activity level match your living situation.

And don't be misled by fancy websites or brags and don't buy casually or from people who breed too easily, sell too readily, seem too eager to talk pups, or seem to lack knowledge about performance dogs. Shop wisely...both for your own satisfaction and for the sake of the breed.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:25 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Quote:
A potential buyer should obviously ask a lot of questions, but I'd also like to add that if the breeder doesn't ask the buyer any questions, that should throw up a red flag.
Absolutely!! If the breeder doesn't ask any questions, all they are interested in is getting the money for the pup. A buyer and seller of a puppy should have a quality back and forth conversation. A breeder of a quality pup will talk to several potential buyers. They may want to talk to you more than once. If you really want a quality dog, you should have to convince that breeder that your home is where the breeder wants to place the pup. Breeders do not have to sell you a pup. A quality breeder is looking for a home where the pup will grow into a dog that the breeder,not just the owner, will be proud of. You can never tell whether a breeder is not telling the truth, but if you talk long enough and listen to what they are saying, you can get a pretty good idea of what is going on. And, the breeder can also pick up on whether you might be trying to pull the wool over their eyes. This is a good time to listen to your intuition.

Quote:
And don't be misled by fancy websites
A website is a great way to find a puppy. But, it can out and out lie to you. The things a good website will show is good pictures of the stud and bitch. It will show pictures of the dogs working-both the female and male should be working. So many, many breeders have working males, but the female is nothing but a commodity that produces pups. The female is important in the breeding of good dogs. She should not be left in a kennel all day while the boys go out and play! A real pet peeve of mine!! I would love to see a website that is updated often, has good pictures so that you can see the conformation of the parents, shows previous litters and pics of those dogs grown up. It shows the dogs working, at rest and at play. One of my favorite websites for dogs is http://www.chromadane.com/index.php/en/ Not a lot of people have the drive and time that JP Yousha does for their dogs or their website, but her website shows and tells all about her, her dogs and the pups. She shows the dogs that her kennel has produced and what they have accomplished. A lacy breeder doesnt have all the show pics, but a hog dog breeder can sure show pics of hogs they have caught, blood trackers can show the deer found. Then, when you talk to the breeder, have them talk about some of the experiences they have had with their dogs. If they dont have any tales to tell, their website is pretty much a scam.

Few people go out nowadays without their cameras. If you are purchasing a pup from a breeder, ask for pictures of their kennels, their dogs in their daily life, pics of them working, anything that will show that they are producing what they say. I dont have a thing against kennels, but kennels are a room for a dog to spend some time in- not their whole lives. They need to get out, meet people, meet other dogs, meet kids-basically a dog continues thru it's life to be socialized. I'm not an expert on kennels, but there are some good ones that lacy owners have. My main thing about kennels is that the dog in the kennel should be large enough for the dog to run around some, it should have protection from heat and cold, water, of course and for a lacy maybe a pool!! :)) Maybe some people who have kennels will post about theirs and why they are good. At any rate, if I was buying a pup from someone who had kennels, I would like to see a picture of their kennel.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:30 am 

Well I'll add some of my experience from my first lacy litter ... Shane and I asked a lot of questions for each buyer making sure they were a person/or family that will work the pups and give it a great working home environment. That they understood the breed and it's high prey drive and all the little lacy kinks that come with them.

In fact the best experience I can say is that when one of our pups were showing some face snapping about a week or 2 before he was to go home to a family with a lil girl ... needless to say I called the buyer and explained that I was worried, he discussed with wifey and they decided they still wanted him ... by time he was picked up it was a barely a problem and Gunner is now a constant companion to that lil girl ... he evens will play princess with her lol. He's already into retrieving birds and training on blood tracking too, he is also being trained using a clicker and hand signals ... it was amazing to see a 4 month old lacy responding intensely to the clicker training.

Another of our pups, Wyatt, is turning into a tracking machine! He has I believe 14 wounded deer under his belt!! Sergio should be able to elaborate more on everything him and Iris have down with Wyatt and their lacy-mix Casey.

So proud of our puppy owners! They all are working these pups!! We lucked out and every single one of our 7 pups are all working in tracking or hogging or herding.

We made sure our pups were always in a clean kennel, wormed, had shots and stayed healthy. We socialized them with our son so they would know how to deal with children, we introduced them and let them play with our other dogs so they would be used to meeting and behaving when meeting new dogs, we introduced them to blood and started them on small tracks until they left for their new homes, we took the time to gun break them so they would be used to the sound when they started out hunting with their new owners from day one. I also unwittingly potty trained them for the most part too! They were trained to wait until they were let out of the outside kennel to go potty. It just naturally happened and going forward I will always do this for each litter. Potty trained pups are awesome!! (not to say they didn't have an accident now and then ... they are only pups)

I posted constant photos (yes just check out my FB pages lol) as they were born and still to this day I post every updated photo of our pups and their accomplishments! I have an enormous passion for this breed and we did everything we could think of to prepare these pups for the world. I know it was a lot of work but I'm am so very proud of how they are all turning out. They will be 8months old next month and I look forward to seeing them grow and work for the rest of their lives with excitement and love for this awesome breed. Our puppy buyers know that they can always call us no matter what, when or how. :D

Feel free to look me up on FB https://www.facebook.com/llowry3 and look thru the huge amount of photos lol ... I try posting pics here but I never have the patience or the right program to attach photos on the forum.

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Board index » General » Around the Campfire