Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:32 pm 

Spring is on the way and having Augy with me at the ranch my concern is him getting snake bit. Does anyone have any advise on breaking dogs on sanke avoidance. We primarily deal with rattlesnakes and a few copperheads in north central texas so any advise would be well appreciated,

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:30 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

We will have Fred Reyna at the event in April. Fred has been doing snake breaking clinics for a good while now. I believe in it.

I had my males broke at a clinic and San Angelo, but Lucy, my female, was pregnant, so didnt do her. She always had a natural aversion to them anyway, so I was never too worried about her. However, over the years, she had gotten to where she was getting too close to them when she found them and, she would completely not sense them, if she was running or involved in something. I had Fred do her at the last event so that maybe she would be more aware of them.

My male, Larry, was snake broke at the clinic in San Angelo, but came up on a snake when he was running with Abe. He tried to avoid the snake, but was going too fast and got bit on the hind leg. I know that he was trying to avoid the snake by the way he was trying to put on the brakes!! I also had him done again last time by Fred because he will alert to the snakes-we only have rattlesnakes our here- but he was getting too close for comfort. Fred 'moved him back' so that he, hopefully, will not get quite so close. I can tell when Larry is on a snake.

Abe, the other male was done in SA also, but he wasnt co-operative with the handler, so he didnt get the treatment, but he has never-knock on wood- alerted to a snake, nor has he ever seem to have noticed one.

I think that most people will tell you that the treatment works. Some people say that you have to keep re-doing it, but I only had Larry re done because of him getting too close. Fred hit Larry so hard that Larry did a back flip, bless his heart. We havent run across any snakes since then.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:44 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

If he's going to be around rattlesnakes, I would recommend coming in April and doing the snake breaking with Fred. Fred uses rattlesnakes with his training...apparently, different types of snakes smell differently.

A rattlesnake bite can be lethal, but dogs don't react to a Copperhead bite like humans do. We have a lot of them around here, but a dose of Benadryl is usually sufficient to treat a Copperhead bite.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:40 am 

Id say it works

Sonny

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:01 pm 

Betty what is that clinic name in san angelo?
and is this the event that takes place in brunet in april correct?

thank ya.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:44 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The San Angelo Clay Bird Assoc. has the snake clinic in San Angelo.

Fred Reyna will be at our event on April 12, which will be at Reveille Peak Ranch near Burnet.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:00 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The Clay Bird guys usually put theirs on just before bird season.

I have had my dogs done by three different people and Fred was by far the best. My dogs like may lacys will not go out on lead with someone other than me. As an on looker the other two had stuggles with getting my dogs to the snake. I felt like the dogs never really made the connection with the snake because they were to worried about leaving with a strange person. Fred took extra time to make sure the dogs saw the snake and made sure they had responded to the snake. He even took time later in the day to see if they had made the connection.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:16 am 

Betty L. wrote:
The San Angelo Clay Bird Assoc. has the snake clinic in San Angelo.

Fred Reyna will be at our event on April 12, which will be at Reveille Peak Ranch near Burnet.

thank you, i plan on making it out that way. i guess there will be more info when we get closer to the date. hopefully trav is better trained (people wise)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:00 pm 

Ron20 you ought to come to help Trav there's many of us who will be there that may be able to help you with Trav give some pointers & advice and be able to see him in person. Plus it's so much fun I bet he would have a blast and learn from the older dogs too.

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:58 am 

Thanks for the information! I plan on attending the field day and getting with Fred on the training. The only question I would have is that Augy is 6 months old and would that be too young to put him through the avoidance clinic?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

6 months is usually when I start with e-collar training so I would say that is a fine age to do snake avoidance. It really depends on the maturity level of the dog and if they are able to make the correct associations.

Board index » General » Around the Campfire