Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Around the Campfire

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:52 am 

I am wanting to use my blood tracking lacy(wyatt) for hog dogging because i know he can do both jobs . I am sure he will figure it out as far as what he is hunting, blood-tracking=bell hog dogging= no bell. I mean deer season is only 3-4 months and I need to keep him busy year around, the tennis ball and Frisbee only go so far!!
It would also be good for him to run hogs right now so that I could also break him off live deer before season rolls around, along with working on his baying skills.
I am just wanting some pointers on what and what not to do so that when deer season rolls around he isn't trashing on hogs.I know they used to do this all the time when the breed was created so I need all the pointers i can get.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

Some people cross train dogs. The advantage of a cur dog or a lacy is their versatility. You can work cows on Monday, run traps on Tuesday, hunt hogs on Wednesday, and track a deer on Thursday.

There are two reasons I no longer take my good deer dogs hog hunting. First, Lacys love hunting hogs. It's in their blood and, if they run across a hot hog track while on a blood trail or if they bump a sounder, they are very likely to abandon the blood trail.

Second, a good deer dog is very valuable and there is no good reason to put him in harm's way. Sure, the life of a working dog is inherently dangerous no matter what, but the odds of a dog getting trashed by a hog are high enough that it isn't worth the risk to me.

I may put an up and coming tracker in a bay pen a couple of times early on to build drive and give him the experience of baying large game but I don't make it a regular part of our training.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:42 pm 

Thanks Courtney, every reason you said has been the reason I haven't put him on hogs yet. He has seen a hog or two and he is a natural , but I was just wanting to work him more.
I had read something saying that you could work cows all day and blood track all night.
But I have a feeling he would rather bay a hog than track a deer.

Another question, what is the best way to break a deer dog off live deer? I have always heard shock collar and commands but where I hunt I wouldn't be able to tell if it's a live deer or "the wounded deer" because of the terrain.

Sonny

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:39 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

It's definitely possible to cross-train Lacy dogs. My dad still talks about a Lacy they had in the early 1970s...they would hog hunt in the morning, work cows all day, then go coon hunting after dark. That said, most people agree that if you want your dog to be really good at their job, you should stick to one discipline.

And I agree with Courtney...if your part-time hog dog is blood tracking and comes across a hot hog track, I can't imagine them not following it. If you're worried about him being bored during the off-season, there are other possibilities, like training to find shed antlers or retrieving.

Board index » General » Around the Campfire