Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » The Right Match

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:43 pm 

G'day.

I'm a keen hog hunter from Australia. I run Jack Russell Terriers on small game (bunnies/hares/foxes) with the help of a Whippet and shot-gun. I also have 3 Catahoulas, 2 were bred out here and I shipped in a gyp last year from Mississippi that I run of hogs. I also use Bull Arabs as 'running catch dogs'. I hunt long and hard in some steep un-forgiving country (I'll share some pics at a later date) so the question I put to you good folk is...

Would a Lacy be right for me?

I've been 'eyeing' the Blue Lacy Game Dog for some time now. There is not any here Downunder. I know of some in New Zealand but all attempts to contact the 'breeder' have gone un-answered. Therefore I am turning to the idea of importing my own from solid working kennels/bloodlines.

I think that will do for now. Thanks for having me aboard.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:29 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Welcome! It sounds like you could provide a good working home for a Lacy.

You may run into trouble finding a breeder willing to ship a dog that far. I'm not sure about the customs laws in Australia. Would it have to be in quarantine for a period?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:49 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I know it can get really expensive shipping dogs over there. The lacys in New Zeland took a lot time and effort to get there. I would really do my homework in looking for the right breeder that hunts/works there dogs.

Glad your here! I always find it interesting how different people hunt in different parts of the world.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:19 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Welcome! Great to see an Aussie interested in Lacy Dogs.

What do you think of your Catahoulas? I still haven't gotten the hang of exactly what the terminology is for doggers down under, but essentially that is how a Lacy is going to hunt. Same range, same nose, but I think Lacys have more brains. Their size does make a difference though. They do a good job of sizing up pigs, they'll get gritty but won't go kamikaze like I've heard Cats do, and I partially attribute that to their smaller stature. I also think their size is an advantage in thick brush, they are faster and more agile than a larger dog when things get tight.

If you were able to import a Catahoula from Mississippi, I assume the process would be the same for a dog from Texas. And our breeders definitely have proven hog dog stock that will get the job done.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:19 am 

Thankyou for the welcome.

From first deciding to ship a Catahoula out here to the moment I picked her up was about two and a half years. The first year and a half was research, calling, emailing, speaking to breeders/hunters/old timers going through pedigrees... and so on. So if I decided to ship a pair of Lacys out here it would not be until towards the end of next year, going by my last effort. Plenty of time to learn more of this breed and start calling around to have a yarn with some Lacy folk! But it is a real hassle getting a dog into Australia.

Is there any good reading on the Blue Lacy?

What is the difference between the TLGDA and the NLDA? I joined the TLGDA forum some time ago (maybe over a year) and didn't get a very warm reception so I canned the whole idea until I found the NLDA web site and forum as well as the 'true blue' web site.

Last edited by Downunder on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:18 am 

Well you came to the wright place to find WORKING Lacys. WELCOME. :ymapplause: :-BD

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:27 am 

I did a TON of research on Lacy dogs before making my decision last year, and found the NDLA to be the best for resources and honest feedback more than the other forums and blogs around.

Plus, I talked with quite a few different groups over the phone about Lacys, and the NLDA folks were by far the nicest and most informative of the many different organizations. This forum has a load of information about the breed and fantastic advice. So speaking from experience, your in the right place.

Good luck with your research!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:52 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Jimmy pretty much hit the nail on the head. The driving force behind the NLDA was to create an association that supported working Lacys. That is, after all, what this breed was developed to do. We saw the trend of breeding unproven pets and selling to unprepared pet homes as a death sentence for true Lacys. When it comes to preserving the past and creating a strong legacy for the future, maintaining working drive and ability should be the top priority. And IMO the NLDA is the only group that focuses on that. Of course placing quality over quantity means we have less puppies available, but if you are looking for the best working dog possible, it's worth the wait.

I hope Cynthia's experience is typical of those who deal with the NLDA. From the start education and preservation have been our goal, not puppy sales. And I think that makes everyone - breeder, buyer and dog - happiest in the long run.

As far as reading goes, unfortunately there is no book on Lacys. My favorite reading has been the historic documents that show what Lacys were like decades ago: http://www.nationallacydog.org/history.html. I think the Helen Gibbs videos are really neat too, she is the granddaughter of George Lacy and a fascinating lady: http://www.nationallacydog.org/lacyvideos.html. We do have a blog for the NLDA, though it is fairly informal and you've probably seen it already: http://workinglacys.wordpress.com/.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:58 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Welcome. Very welcome indeed, as it's great to meet someone who wants to do it right. Post all the specific questions you have, and I'm sure you will get answers. The hog hunters here don't wear rose tinted glasses. They'll give you the good, the bad, and the ugly, because they want what is best for the breed, which is to ensure there is a great match.

I don't hunt my Lacy. What I can tell you, is that I've owned a lot of dogs, and the only other dog that had smarts that came close to my Lacy was an Aussie Cattle Dog. :-)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:45 pm 

Welcome! I have always wanted to go hunting in Australia. Seen some awesome videos of hunts down there. :)

I would suggest looking deep and scrutinizing all the lines you can. I won't say that you won't get good dogs from the TLGDA. I have seen many awesome Lacys from the TLGDA as well as from the NLDA. You will get poor-quality dogs from lines that are not proven and don't have any work in them regardless of registry. In my opinion, the NLDA does do more to pursue the best quality of working Lacys and cull out dogs with lesser abilities. The NLDA works to better the Lacy by putting emphasis on working ability and owner education, instead of unfair rules and randomly shifting guidelines.

I used to run Cats, and, as far as hunting style, Lacys are less catchy than Catahoulas. I have one who will get real gritty, and the others will bay loose untill they have to put the brakes on one or the catch dog gets there. Also, my Lacys get ripped up far less than my Catahoulas and hounds used to. Like Julie said, they seem to be more able to size up their hog and are agile enough to avoid the cutters most of the time. Lacys are pretty solid short-range dogs, but the good ones will stick on a hot trail till they get what they're after. They're really smart dogs and will learn to work with you and the way you like to hunt so long as you give them the time and practice. Sometimes the intelligence can be more of a hassle than a blessing. :))

-- Rachael Connally

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:14 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Rachael Connally wrote:
Sometimes the intelligence can be more of a hassle than a blessing. :))

-- Rachael Connally

Ain't that the truth! "Why didn't I just get a stupid dog?" is what I curse at myself on the days when that intelligence is really trying.. like when he figured out that, even if he couldn't get into the chicken coop, he could let the chickens out.

Board index » General » The Right Match