Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » The Right Match

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:53 am 

I am a barrel racer. I live on a ranch with chickens, cats, other dogs, horses, and cattle. I am looking at getting a working dog and a dog that I can take with me on the road when I rodeo. I think that a Lacy would be perfect but I am looking for advice from people you have owned or own a Lacy. I want the dog to be able to protect me while on the road and be a good companion. Thanks for your time.

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:30 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Welcome to the forum.

A Lacy MIGHT be right for you, but it depends on several factors. How much time will the dog spend in the truck vs. time working? What will the dog be doing at home--just hanging out or actually working cattle, etc?

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:03 pm 

Can you train a Lacy to be a guard dog in addition to being a working dog? Are they protective of their owner and the owner's family?

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:13 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yup, I agree with Amber. The basics are there, but the number one thing I encourage people to think about is what will daily life be like for the dog. Lacys need a challenging job, one that they do on a very consistent basis, and when they aren't working, you need to figure out how you'll channel that drive. I've found that just turning them out on land isn't enough, they need the interaction. If you don't give them a job, they'll create a job, and you may not like it!

Even though they aren't guard dogs in the traditional sense, most Lacys I know are very protective of their people. I never worry about my safety or my property when Sadie is around. But I do have to worry about other people and other dogs! Sadie is worse than most, but I would be very selective about the lineage of your dog if you plan to have it crowded public spaces with kids around like a rodeo. I wouldn't say human aggression is common, but I hear more and more stories about dog aggression, and my dog has both in spades. But I attribute 90% of that to bad breeding.

Also, I hope those cats are dog savvy, cause they'll go through nine lives pretty fast with a driven Lacy around!

Lacys aren't for everyone, they are a lot of dog in a very capable package. But for the right person in the right environment, a well-bred Lacy is a great working companion.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:29 pm 

On the note of Lacys as guard dogs, I keep Levi in the house overnight and always around when I am somewhere alone. He won't let anyone come up and grab me unless he seriously knows that I will allow it. He barks at my dad and will get up in his face if he comes up and grabs me. He's never bit him, but I would have no doubt that he would put teeth on a stranger. Levi, though, isn't afraid of being hit with sticks or anything. My dad and I worked to instill the lack of fear into him by never threatening for being defensive of our property and selves. Chula is the same way with the yard, but she's more afraid of people. Her and Levi look scarier than the pit bulls when someone comes up to my gate! lol.

On the flip side, he has never bitten a child and will sit for hours and let kids pet him and play with him. I always keep a close eye on him, regardless, because he's getting older and more prone to random spurts of meanness... I think the majority of his disposition comes from him being around lots of kids and the way we have trained him, though Julie is correct in how breeding affects disposition. We bought Levi knowing that his parents were ranch dogs who were good with kids and we chose him because of his personality at only about 10 weeks. You really have to choose the dog that will best fit your family and what you need him for.

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:38 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Dont know how long the chickens would last!! :)) My dogs chase anything! The things that run from them will get a run for their money!! The dogs will herd the cattle at any time, so I have to watch them when we are around the cows.

You do need to do your research on breeders. I will take 2 of my dogs anywhere and trust them around most any situation. The 3rd one is always iffy and I really have to watch him, especially around active kids. He's never done anything bad, just dont trust him. When you find a breeder, talk to them about the pups that they have sold and what kind of homes they are in and how they are doing.

These dogs are active dogs. They love to work, love to play. My dogs have plenty of acreage to run on, but hang around the house. They will drive me crazy to take them walking, every day. They insist on their time!!! Add to that the breeds intelligence and you have your hands full. I think that you are on the right track, just continue to look into the breed, breeders and your time and ability to keep the dog working and active.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:12 pm 

We have our dogs around when we rope and the kids work on the barrels. They do OK. I have one I have to really watch as she will be in the arena in no time to bay the steers. If we let her out in the pasture she bays them up like crazy. My male loves the steers also but doesn't always chase them. My third female is ok with being by me and chasing the steers. I think they love this the most. I don't think the rodeo owners would like your dogs to chase any livestock. They really want in with the chickens, the chickens are in a enclosed pen. As far a protective, they will protect the ones they love. They don't let anything come near your or the ones they know they are suppose to protect.
A Lacy would be a great addition to your family if it has something to do. We have been trying trapping and we let them bring the steers up to the arena just to keep them busy.

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:19 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I've been fortunate with my Lacy Cannon, as he hasn't shown aggression towards people or other dogs. He'll chase any animal that runs, and catches a bird now and then on his own, because hey... these dogs are fast. As far as guarding goes, he lets us know if someone is there, and puts on the "junk yard dog" act, but if the person is confident when they come in, he calms down. Part of that is due to our having lots of workers around lately. He's gotten used to that, and only barks when it is someone knew. So he is a great 'alarm system' dog, and he keeps people who don't belong from coming on the property, because they don't realize what he is doing is mostly bluff.

Now if a stray dog comes on his property.. watch out, as all bets are off. He knows every scent on every blade of grass, and if any dog has been there uninvited, it really pisses him off.

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:36 pm 

The fact that you care enough to do in depth research bodes well for you. That being said, if the individual dog is selected appropriately, has a job, and a good handle (training), I think it could work.

BUT, if it does not have a job, you won't have the handle (even if you think that you do), and you can say good buy to your cats, chickens and aspirations of a rodeo partner.

One of my lacy's has a horse shoe indention in her forehead...... If you don't give it something to catch, kill, track, heard or bay on command, it will find something on its own and you might not like the result.

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:10 am 
Site Admin

Our dogs are part of our family, and work when we need them to. I really wish they could do more, but I don't think they are frustrated at all with our lifestyle.

I realize our situation is not ideal but like many lacy owners our dogs get to hog hunt and blood trail a few months out of the year and then they get a lot of down time. We walk/jog every day and they get to roam when we take them to the ranch.
They take their jobs as house and family (and truck) guardians very seriously. I could pull up to a wal mart in a bad neighborhood with the dogs in the cab, doors unlocked, windows cracked and no one will dare get in.

Every lacy has a different personality and some have an easier handle than others but I believe as long as you have a good handle on your dog, provide them with physical activity and some kind of job where they can focus their drive (doesn't necessarily have to be every day) you should not have a problem raising a healthy stable lacy.

Like I said, ours are companion dogs first, working dogs second, and I would not hesitate to say they are generally calm, happy dogs....however...they did not come from hog dog / hunting stock. One came from a rancher with cow dogs and one came from a family with companion/blood trailing lacies. The breeding makes a difference.

Last edited by Courtney on Thu May 20, 2010 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:28 am 

You could also consider a catahoula or blackmouth cur. They're bigger than the lacy and are more intimidating and more willing to bite or guard their property/person. I've had all three breeds and can tell you that my lacy would bark and act like he was gonna rip your arm off but if you are the calm natured type of person, he sits and waits for me to decide what to do. Catahoulas/blackmouth curs are far more hard headed and have tons of energy. They are still acting like pups around 3-4 years of age though so be forewarned. Lacys mature faster.

With all 3 breeds, you DO have to be the alpha or else they'll walk over you.

Board index » General » The Right Match