Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » The Right Match

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:55 am 

We live in East Texas on a small working ranch. We own a few head of cattle, pigs, chickens, a horse and a cat.

Our cattle are a gentle breed, but one of the bulls gets out if we don't keep him in an area with a hotwire. We have problems with raccoons, bobcats and foxes killing our free range chickens. They've killed approximately 80 chickens in the last 6 months. We've had wild dogs take down a calf and almost attack my husband. He managed to take down two of the dogs. He just happened to be armed for once.

There are snakes that come onto the property. And armadillos, moles and voles wreak havoc on our yard.

My husband has a very bad habit of working in the pastures without a weapon. He is 60% disabled and need a working dog to help him. He has also spotted a wild hog on the property while he was yet unarmed again. Thank heavens when he shouted at the hog it ran off. There are plenty of wild hogs in the area.

We live on 18+ acres of land and have another 80 acres that we plan to work. My husband also like deer hunting and duck hunting.

Do you think a lacy would make a good working dog for us? We originally considered the catahoula, until I ran across a lacy for sale and investigated the breed. I think we have enough wild life around him for one to keep at bay to protect my husband and the animals on the property.

Please provide input.

Thank you,

grannyjo

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:04 am 

It sounds like what you need is a good old fashion ranch dog to keep the varmints in check, save some chickens, and accompany your husband into the field. I see no reason that a lacy wouldn't fit that bill, and the right one would be specially suited for such conditions. I have no idea how to teach one that chickens are for protecting, not eating, but I know that it has been done.

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:34 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Hi Grannyjo,

I see you live in Timpson...I'm glad to see another East Texan on the board! I think a Lacy could be good for you, but I'd definitely get a puppy. I think chickens would be too tempting for an adult dog that wasn't raised around them. We've actually sold two puppies who ended up guarding and herding chickens as a secondary job. In those cases, I think it worked because a)they were exposed to the chickens as young puppies b)they had another job (working cattle) to expend their energy and prey drive.

Keep asking questions, and we'll do our best to answer them.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:38 am 

Yes a Lacy would be a good breed for you I.M.O. Just be SURE you get one out of WORKING stock and good true Lacy blood lines. And be sure to get a puppy. If it growes up with chickens it should be O.K. it may still kill some but you can break it from that.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:03 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Just lost a chicken yesterday. The dumb thing went into the yard where Cannon is penned when the chickens are out. Usually he will ignore them unless there is a person there, in which case he decides it's his job to bay them - something they don't always survive. My wife got home and the chicken was in Cannon's area, beaten up, and it didn't survive. Don't know whether one of the kids was out there causing him to go into baying mode, or if he just got bored.

We should have had the chickens around him from the pup stage, but even then he would terrorize them. I'm going to try to teach him to leave them alone, and will let everyone knows how that goes.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:18 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Mom lives 10 miles out of Timpson (east). We're headed up there Friday morning for a long weekend. It will be Paradise's first trip to the farm so we'll see how she does.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:34 am 

Jim, Ain't "chicken" and "dumb" synonymous? If they didn't have edible breast and lay eggs, I think they might be useless :)

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:48 am 

I had mine all trained to leave my chickens alone and not to go near the coop -- we even had the chickens living in the same yard as we let the dogs out in. Then, we brought home one stupid pit who was an unstoppable chicken massacring machine and he turned all those Lacys around in about two seconds! X( Our little banties were a little wiser than your average chicken and quickly relocated to my neighbors house. lol

It sounds to me like a well-trained Lacy would be quite helpful to your ranch. I would suggest investigating lines that are of true working quality and finding a dog that would fit your needs. Most Lacys should take instinctively to herding and will chase just about anything you sick 'em on. It's also not too difficult to train a young pup for blood trailing deer. :)

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:59 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Grannyjo--PM sent.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:21 pm 

Catahoulas are good dogs but they can really have too much energy. I've had both breeds and am still partial to both! Lacys are far more obedient (to a degree) compared to the catahoula which can have the attitude of make my day! type. You may have that with the lacy but only when the pup is a teenager and trying to test you while some catahoulas will do that constantly which is one reason why they make excellent hog dogs because they don't quit when told to by some cranky hog or cow. Lacys are good in hunting/herding but can relax when told to. Hope this is of some help.

Board index » General » The Right Match