Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » The Right Match

Post subject: Interested in Oregon
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:20 pm 

Good afternoon,

I am posting a question on this forum for the first time. My wife and i live in the Willamete Valley in Oregon. We have no formal ties to ranching or livestock. The reason I am here is to try and gather some information about the Lacy breed from actual owners. While we have no ties to the ranching lifestyle we have owned Red Heelers for years and love the breed. Our oldest of two dogs is fourteen. While he is still very content(and walked every day) he has been blind for the past few years and a couple of weeks ago the vet informed us that he has developed cancer. We have become used to having two dogs and are in the process of researching a replacment brother for our youngest Heeler when the day arrives. We are fully aware of all that comes with the "working dog" breed in regard to physical and mental stimulation. Both myself and my wife take pride in the fact that our dogs are well mannered and completly trustworthy. Both our dogs have always been well exercised, never chained or left in a run all day, and are very much part of our everyday lives. I would have no hesitation when she and I decide to have children bringing another Heeler into our family, immediate and otherwise. What can you help me learn about the Lacy breed other than what I read. What are any negatives, concerns, short comings? Working type dogs do not worry me, rather we welcome the intelligence, loyalty, and devotion that comes with. Thank you for any input you may have!

Sincerely,

Interested in Oregon

Post subject: Re: Interested in Oregon
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:33 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

First of all let me say hello! I have typed this out twice and lost it! ~X( So heres the short.....One of the main problems is that people do not know what they are getting when picking a working dog. Most people will get a lacy because of the cuteness factor. Lacys are problem solvers. If a lacy gets board and wants out.....they will find a way. Lacys tend to bond with one person or family. This means that your family may never have an aggresion problem, but your friends and other childern might. Like any hearding breed lacys will see kids and other pets as play things. A lacy will bay anything from a pig to a vacuum cleaner. These dogs can be a handfull! I would not recommend one to a first time dog owner. If someone is educated on the fact that they are getting a working dog many of the problems can be avoided.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:04 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I have gotten to the point that I do not recommend a lacy for a young couple who has no children as yet. I know that there are a lot of couples out there that keep their lacy after they have a baby, but there are also so many who simply cannot handle their lacy after a child has come into their lives. And, that breaks my heart for someone to have to give up a dog that they loved because of the prey drive and heart and stamina that lacys have do not fit in with a baby. Especially, if that lacy is not going to be worked at hunting, cattle herding, or something that really uses its prey drive. Lacys are different from many other working breeds. Just because you are used to a working dog like a Heeler, doesnt mean that you would be used to a lacy. True, I have never had a heeler, but I have listened to many stories about lacys compared to other breeds. Lacys are simply different.

Robby is right, lacys tend to be one person dogs. They can be very protective which only adds fuel to their high prey drive. I have 2 lacys that I will trust around any one and most any situation. Then, I have one that I dont trust past the length of my arm. I am never at ease when he is around any one besides me and my husband. Even between the 2 of us, he can be possessive and too protective.

Lacys dont know the meaning of the word quit and they tend to be late bloomers. If you were to get a high strung lacy that had a high prey drive and that never quit, you simply could not satisfy that dog by simple exercise. My first lacy nearly drove me crazy before she turned 2 plus years old and begin to really understand what the things that I was trying to teach her really meant. She herded everything in sight. She bit and just in general drove me crazy. I was told that I wasnt 'the boss' and she knew it, but then, those who criticized me for not being stern enough couldnt do anything with her either. She is now one that I take with me to shows and I am very proud of her and how she minds me, but it took us more than 2 years to get to that point.

These dogs are head strong and will buck you at any chance they can. They will outsmart you and you will constantly have to be on your toes. When the child comes along, will that child be able to deal with a dog like that? My granddaughter is 10 and does real good with her head strong, constant motion lacy, but I just dont see many kids being able to contend with that dog. He never lays down for longer than 3 minutes and at night, he is still on the move. When he is here at the ranch, I make him stay in another room so that I will be able to sleep. He is skin and bones, no matter how much he is fed, because he is as ADHD as any dog could be. If he is in a crate, he is still moving around.

I could go on, but I think that you will understand where I am coming from. I do not recommend a lacy dog for anyone who has no means for the dog to get in some real work. Exercise for a lacy is simply not work.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:55 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Quote:
I could go on, but I think that you will understand where I am coming from. I do not recommend a lacy dog for anyone who has no means for the dog to get in some real work. Exercise for a lacy is simply not work.

I agree with this statement. Exercise is great, and will "take the edge off", but for a Lacy to be happy, it needs real WORK.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:15 pm 

My lacy now lives with my mother-in-law. Long story short..he is property possessive..in other words, anything he lies on or is chewing on is considered his. He will cooperate with me or my wife when told to move or surrender whatever it is. Not so with the kids or anyone else. My son was 2 and learning how to open doors. He got into the dog room where the dogs are kept. There were two dogs loose in the room. One of the dogs was my lacy. The other one was an older border collie mix with hip problems. End result? My son got bitten rather severely. Had to go to the hospital and get stitches on his forehead and eye and top of his scalp. He nearly lost his eye and now he refuses to get a hair cut (used to have long hair before and after the stitches came out, we cut it short) for that reason. He's also afraid of dogs now..black ones in particular so we think it was the old dog but the city authorities said no reliable testimony from a 2 year old so both dogs were signed over to my mother-in-law who was overjoyed to get them because she didn't want to have my lacy go back into hog hunting. Needless to say, she doesn't know I'm getting a puppy this year and going back into hog hunting :)) my son does not like black dogs at all now.

When my lacy moved over there..turned out he would bite people who would tell him to get off the couch. I had to tell them to verbally scold him and to make him get off at ALL TIMES! Now he obeys them.

Board index » General » The Right Match