Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » The Right Match

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:12 am 

I need information please. I adopted a "possible" 5 yr old female Lacy from Lab Rescue. She was fostered for one month when recovering from severe yeast infection. Her foster mom thought she was a wonderful dog. She even got along with her cat. Given firm parameters re: toy/food possessiveness and who is dominant in pack, she did very well. I have owned 11 dogs in my life, mostly rescued Labs, but also had a loving Bouvier for many years, so I am applying those same principles. My pack currently consists of 2 male labs and a female Mini Schnauzer. The Mini is the pack leader I believe. She is a very stable and confident dog who does not need to yap or growl. She just is confident. She does not seem scared of the Lacy.

I guess I gave scared myself watching the Lacys go after hogs and reading stories on line about how they can shake a small dog to death. I wanted a gentle, family dog, that I can train as a therapy dog. Our new dog Josie is very sweet and smart. She wants very much to please. She is also possessive and has a very stubborn streak too. Definitely trainable . She clearly sees me as alpha and tends to be submissive ( rolls over). I think I yelled "no" too loudly when she was standing up counter surfing and when she snapped at the Mini Schnauzer over a treat.

So bottom line, I have contacted a trainer, so my anxiety doesn't mess her up. I just want to know some positive, non-violent, experiences people have had with their Lacys around small dogs, in service work training, etc. . Am I asking her to be something she is not?

I have also included pictures. Is she a Lacy?

Your help is most appreciated.
Thank you,
Denise

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 30.03 KiB | Viewed 1181 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 45.85 KiB | Viewed 1181 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 31.01 KiB | Viewed 1181 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:34 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Welcome Denise!
I am going to say by looking at the pics your dog is not a lacy. :(

I will tell you my dogs seem to do alright around smaller dogs. My mother-in-law has Winnie dogs and her dogs and mine run and play when we go and visit. That's not to say I fully trust them when the do play, but so far everything has been fine. We also recently picked up a kitten! Now I know my dogs will kill cats but they seem to know that they are not to eat this one. I don't know if they can tell it's still a baby or what, but that cat chews on them and they just look at me like "what did you do?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:58 pm 

Thank you Robbie. I am encouraged by your feedback.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:56 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Denise,

I agree with Robby, your dog is not Lacy. May have some in it, but not a full blooded one for sure.

As far as the problem with your dog, I would say more food aggression than anything- or maybe being scared and reacting towards the mini. At any rate, you are on the right track by contacting a trainer.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » General » The Right Match