Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » The Right Match

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:28 pm 

Hi All,
Two and a half months ago I found a stray dog in Donna, TX. I adopted her and brought her back to Austin. When I took her in she was at the brink of death. She had severe demadex mange, Erlichia, no platelets, internal bleeding and was malnourished. Over the past month she has shown tremendous improvement and is now starting to look and behave like a dog.

About a month ago, one of the vet techs at the hospital that I take her too informed me that my dog is a blue lacy and they are pretty sure she is a pure breed. Check out the attached.

Upon doing more research on her breed I learned that she is an amazing animal that is capable of so much. In the past month that she has been active I take her on at least 3.5h walks/hikes mostly off-leash. She will find all kinds of animals and will chase deer if she spots them. Great sniffer- I hide treats around the house and ask her to seek them and she usually finds it in five minutes or less. I have tried to the best of my ability to train her in basic obedience and she gets it for the most part but sometimes she is quite stubborn. I haven't been able to find a personal trainer who is familiar with her breed or how to train them.

The biggest question I face though is whether I can provide her with the life she has been bred to live if indeed she is a pure lacy. I live in the city and recently had to move from a house into an apartment due to unavoidable personal circumstances. She has adjusted well so far. In the next few months I am looking to move into a house with a backyard to give her the space she needs. Also, I will enroll her in obedience, agility, trieball and other such activities that attempt to come close to what she would have done in another life. However, I don't know if I should invest all that energy if where she needs to be at the end of the day is on a ranch.

I am very attached to the dog naturally and have invested a lot of emotional energy in her. She has a very sweet demeanor and is sharp. But I also don't want to deprive her what is right for her.

I am looking to this forum to help guide and advice me as I find myself in a dilemma. She is still on one set of antibiotics and will be for the next six mons or so according to her internal medicine vet. I don't know if anyone would be willing to take on that responsibility if I find that giving her away is the best thing for her.

Looking forward to your responses!
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413433398.034077.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413433398.034077.jpg [ 232.23 KiB | Viewed 2250 times ]
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413433358.967126.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413433358.967126.jpg [ 221.94 KiB | Viewed 2250 times ]
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413433331.968051.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413433331.968051.jpg [ 220.27 KiB | Viewed 2250 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:50 am 
Site Admin

First of all...welcome! And thank you for saving a homeless dog in need.

You've obviously done your research. Good job! Owning a high drive dog can be a challenge but I think if you love her and she is good companion for you, you both will be fine. Some Lacys are more adaptable than others and can adjust to just about any lifestyle.

Stick your plan to provide her with plenty of exercise and stimulating activities. If she starts developing behavioral problems like aggression or anxiety, it might be time to reevaluate your situation.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:09 am 

Thank you Courtney for your response! I greatly appreciate it! I will continue to try my best to keep her active. Do NLDA have any events in Austin? Do you have recommendations of any other activities I can put her in? Are there any lay groups in Austin?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:10 am 

Also, is she a lacy? Just need confirmation from another expert.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

Our annual Working Dog event is in Burnet in the Spring, so not too far from Austin. I think it will be the second weekend in April. We always have a great time and all breeds are welcome.

I think basic obedience and scent detection are good places to start. Basic obedience is a challenging activity for a dog and a great outlet. If your trainer uses reward based training methods, where the dog works to access a reward, that's even better.

I'm not totally confident your dog is a Lacy...at least not a purebred Lacy. She is definitely blue and her head is the right shape but her hair seems really long and her ears are a bit long. Also, she doesn't have any white markings anywhere. Most Lacys carry white spotting and have a little bit of white somewhere on their chest, neck, or toes. I've only seen 2 or 3 Lacys that had no white at all. So, while it's possible, it is rare. How big is she - height and weight?

I would say your dog could be a Lacy but I can't be sure. It can be really hard to tell because a lot of Lacys don't even look like Lacys!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:38 am 

Thanks for your quick reply! I will definitely check out the event in April. Will more info become available on the NLDA website closer to that time?

I will definitely talk to the trainer and hopefully she can help guide me on the rewards based training or I may come back to you for more help.

My dog is currently at 40pounds and growing. She has a few white hairs near her mouth. I'm guessing if she isn't a purebreed than she had some lacy in her.

I try to think dog first and then breed but after having read so much about lacy's I think my approach has to be breed first then dog.

If you have any more advice would really appreciate it. Thank you again for the help! :)

Board index » General » The Right Match