Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » The Right Match

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:25 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

There was a very interesting thread on a Facebook group a few weeks ago. A couple in California found out about Lacys on the Internet and thought it was the perfect breed for them. They live in a condo and wanted to know if that was OK. They heard Lacys "have a calm temperament and are well-behaved and like the quiet." They also wanted to know, "are they sneaky? I had a Spaniel for a time and she was incredibly sneaky and unreliable!" Oh lord...

A man with a young Lacy responded. Though I don't agree with everything he said - he got taken by an unethical "approved" breeder with massive Lacys who didn't care about placing pups in the right homes and is not associated with the NLDA - I certainly found it interesting. This is not the first person I've heard that cried foul on falling for the Blue Lacy PR trap. I'm pasting his response below.

Bo Weavil replied to Christine's post on April 14, 2009 at 12:42am

I like you, became interested in a Blue Lacy after researching the breed online and seeing its great bio...i then realized too late, that's it all 1 bio, written by 1 person, cut and pasted to about 20 different dog sites, since they breed is rare enough that only 1 or 2 people have bothered to write a full description. I've now had my Lacy for 7 months...here's reality.

1.- Blue Lacy's are HIGHLY HIGHLY DESTRUCTIVE DOGS, even for puppies. My dog will eat any cord, shoe, comforter, you name it. It it's something fun to chew, he'll rip it to bits.

2.- They're stubborn as hell. If they get outside without a leash, they're stay still until you get within about a 5 feet of them, then run away for 20 yards, and repeat...

3.- HARD TO HOUSEBREAK...my Lacy is 7 months old and still occasionally has an "accident".

4.- BIGGER THAN ADVERTISED...I visited many Lacy breeders...most of the dogs I observed are more like females 45-55, males 55-75...be wary of puppies that strike you as "large".

5.- They are NOT that terrible fast, because they're thick, dense dogs, almost like a pitbull...muscular yes, fast no.

6.- Since they're bred to bay boar and herd, they're VERY vocal dogs. They bark to get your attention, they bark if you tell them "no" out of frustration, etc.

7.- They're jumpers...since they're use to jumping at larger animals as bayers and herders, they instinctively say hello, by jumping at people...very hard to break them of.

8.- Don't get too in love with the idea of everyone being impressed and saying "what is THAT cool rare breed?"...because if they're the gray type, 90% of people will think its a Weimeraner, and if its a red or a tri, they'll think it's a mutt.

9.- It doesn't particularly do any tricks well...it's not a natural retriever and is bored by it easily. It's thick body doesn't make it terrible agile, it's more of a bruiser. What it does really well, is tear things you own to pieces.

10.- All this is not from the perspective of a rookie dog owner. I've owned a boxer, a mutt, a springer, a german shorthaired pointer, and a great dane...and they were all great...make no mistake...Lacy's are out of their minds. There's a REASON this dog has been around for 150 years and it's still rare...it's because there's not many people bragging to their friends about how great of a pet they make. This dog was born to live outside in warm weather, running around all day nipping at boars, barking at them, and herding cattle...take those activities away from one? And they're just a restless wild animal looking to relieve their depression.

Think about that last paragraph. Still sound like the right dog for you? If you're interested in reading the entire thread in context, check it out on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=3 ... topic=7357.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:14 pm 

So I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I was the one who pointed them to this forum. I have a mix foxhound (walker)/ Lacy who is a year and 4 months. We took her from my mother in law when she was 8 months old because Ruby just wasn't getting along with one of the other dogs she had which has a whole long list of issues. Ruby never had ANY kind of training when we took her. I had never heard of a lacy, but had grown up around other hounds, pointers, setters, pretty much a large handful of hunting dogs which were used for the purpose which they were bread. We agreed to take Ruby and I started reading about Blue Lacy dogs. I thought I was on the path to dealing with the easiest dog ever. Ruby is soft by most standards, she submits fairly easily to people physically. Almost to a fault at times rolling over. Yet she still remains more stubborn than any other dog I've had when she wants to do something different. She knows the basics, sit, stay, down, shake, all that and then some as long as there is food for her or she is in the mood. If she gets on trail, she will pull through any choke, pinch collar or harness I put on her. Her prey drive is off the chart. Living in Massachusetts (yeah, I'm a yankee - the dog was born in Texas where my mother in law was visiting her parents) we aren't allowed to blood trail deer, there are no hogs, I live on a a decent lot for the area of a 1/2 acre but it really isn't enough for what she needs. We struggle some days getting her tired. I just keep telling myself that a tired dog makes a happy owner. At this point, I think she would benefit from some real hunting. I am going to try and get arrange a couple of hunting trips to near by states that allow blood trailing as I know she can sniff out deer. One of my first long walks with her, she started trying to pull through the lead into the woods off trail. I decided I'd follow to see what she was on track, the whole time wondering if she was backtracking. About 30-45 minutes in, there is a dead deer, bloated covered in flies and I had to pulled Ruby away.

I know I've been ranting a bit, I could talk forever about my dog. She's changed my life. She's been a thorn in my side if I don't give her enough stimulation. She has made me lose 20 pounds that really needed to be lost only because I need to keep her active. She's a part of the family. I just hope I can find her a job that suits her best. This board and your posts have been extremely helpful in working through some of the problems we've had with Ruby.

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:12 am 

Welcome aboard glad you joined. I am going to have to go to FB and check the group out, I haven;t figured it all out.
You have a double dose of hard, but yes a Lacy is a all around dog, but they can be a all around pain in the but. I had to replace siding on my house, not because they chewed the edges but because we had a huge hole. We have a guy Chris that when he lived up north he used a treadmill, Chris will have to tell you what he did. It was a way to make him a happy owner and wear out Roush. I am glad to see you are doing all you can to work your dog, and the wight loss I have not found that to happen to me yet. I think I might need to talk to mine about that.

Stick around and share your experiences and stories.

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:32 am 

Welcome aboard. I would like to know where these 55 to 75lb. lacys came from. :-? If you find out please P.M. me. Thanks Jim.

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:48 am 

welcome to the fourm, I cannot agree with alot of what Bo said on his reply. It looks like the dog is making games out of the obedience that is trying to be tought.
55+ pounds, thick, not fast, pit like and not agile, and very destructive? Sounds like he must have a cross???? or I must have two diffrent dogs :-\ I have my dogs inside alot, where i have alot of game mounts etc. 2 full sized tom turkeys fighting on a coffie table and my dogs wont touch them. I have horns with skulls on the floor, not touched! I understand living in a condo would drive the dog nuts, as it would myself....
wonder where this dog came from?
I understand that all dogs are diffrent, as we are all diffrent. all of my dogs have diffrent personalities, the heelers included...lol Point is they all like doing diffrent things and we need to find out what our dogs like to do.
oh and my male lacy will retreive all dang day if i dont hide his kong....I do agree if you live in a confined space and cannot take the dog out for exercise you dont need this breed. They need a job, a good sized yard and a dominate owner.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:53 am 

Jonathan, If some how you can get ahold of some blood from some kind of wild game and freeze it you can make you own trails and work ruby. I think I did a post on the training that i use on this fourm somewhere in training? Let me know if I can help.
Chad

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:10 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

So glad to see you on here Jonathan! It sounds like you are doing some great work with Ruby. Using a treadmill like Chris and Roush did is a really god suggestion for people in the North or East Coast. Though they still need time outside for mental stimulation, the treadmill can really give you an edge with the physical energy, especially in the winter. And Chad's suggestion of laying mock trails just to train her is a really good one. That way she'll know what to do if you go on a hunting trip. And have you thought about agility or fly ball or something? I'm not sure how much she acts like a hound, they certainly don't have the handle or a Lacy, but it could be a fun thing to do once a week to mix up your schedule. Sadie loves agility.

And as Shannon said, feel free to post! Even though Ruby is a cross, it sounds like plenty of the Lacy came through, so maybe we can help out. And I'd love to see pictures, I'm really curious as to what she looks like.

Jimmy, the physical description and saying they were slow confused me too me. But yes, the dog is papered /:) The man went down a list of approved breeders when doing his research. The one he picked swore it would make the registry's standard, but you've seen his dogs before, and you know his favorite pair throws lots of huge pups. We've had countless discussions about why it is important to keep them compact, because when they get that big, they lose the speed and agility that makes them a Lacy. But apparently that doesn't matter if they are registered 8-|

So I thought his post was a.) very telling about the complete lack of planning and research so many put into breeding their registered dogs and b.) still very insightful at the end. To me, that last paragraph says so much, and probably explains why he is so frustrated with his dog's personality. "This dog was born to live outside in warm weather, running around all day nipping at boars, barking at them, and herding cattle...take those activities away from one? And they're just a restless wild animal looking to relieve their depression." When you don't give a Lacy a job, it's very possible you'll deal with the destruction, the jumping, the barking, etc. Because yes, they are frustrated and depressed and looking for a way to deal with all those instincts and drive you're suppressing. But you don't have to take my word for it, though I do have first-hand experienced with how bad a Lacy can get without a job, just read how this person describes their pet Lacy.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:37 pm 

I watch quietly several sites (forums and social networking sites) that pertain to Lacy Dogs.
My reason for watching quietly is so I do not influence what is being said or how it's being said...

What I am seeing (As is Julie) is some disgruntle owners. People who truly thought when they got their Lacy Dog it would be as advertised in so many places..
Instinctive, hard working, needs little to no training, ideal family pet...great all around dog.

What is missing besides reality from that advertisement is a definition of what an
"All Around Dog" or "All Around Ranch Dog" actually means. When first tagged that it was by Ranchers who had these dogs for work purposes on the ranch..finding & moving hogs, cattle, keeping coyotes and other predators away from the live stock, poachers off of private ranch land ect. They were awesome all around WORKING dogs.
At the end of the day did they pile up on the porch for a well deserved scratch behind the ears? Absolutely. Did those ranchers love their Lacy Dog? Absolutely.
Did they keep one if it didn't work ? NO (based on asking real life ranchers that use their Lacys for ALL AROUND RANCH WORK)

Lacy Dogs are gaining a reputation for being either lazy workers (pets) or aggressive pets (lack of a job when the dog WANTS even Yearns to work)

This all comes back to the breeders.
As a breeder myself, I want desperately for this breed to get the respect if deserves as a serious contender among working breeds. What I am seeing is that we have our work cut out for us. Beyond the NLDA and other Lacy Associations is a big wide world online discussing this breed...maybe it's time some of the breeders started looking outside of their comfort zones and seeing just what is being said of our beloved breed...it's sad.

~Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:59 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I am totally with you on this, Mis. I HATE to see the lacy breed being run down. It's almost like someone is running down my own children. It just hurts.

The only way that it is going to change is thru change itself. Breeders must be conscientious when breeding and truthful and totally upfront when selling those pups.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:15 pm 

A thought for Johnathan,
With that cross, you may have one heck of a coon or squirrel dog on your hands.

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:30 pm 

Johnathan, Steves' idea is great and up there in Mass. it shouldn't be that hard to find guys that would let you throw her in with their bobcat dogs to learn a little bit.

When the tailgate drops the bullshit stops.

"If some of our teenage thrill seekers really wanna go out and get a thrill let them go up into the northwest and tangle with a grizzly bear, polar bear a brown bear they'll get a thrill that will cleanse the soul" Fred Bear

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:40 pm 

Thanks for the welcome. I've been a little apprehensive about posting as she is a mix. She has a lot of quirks that I see discussed here. here are some pictures.

The idea of getting her in with some bobcats might just work. I'll have to ask around to the clubs to see if anyone has some expirience working thier dogs.
Ruby watching the squirrels from the couch at my parents

We went hiking this weekend for 10 miles. About 4 miles in her nose went into the air and she started pawing at this tree, about 40 ft up was a decent size coon that was rolling over trying to hide a bit better Image

Ruby at the beach Image

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:47 pm 

Great looking Dog..and obviously wanting to work ! :)) Love the "tree" picture!
Given the cross that is not a surprise !!

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:55 pm 

Looks like a tree dog to me...... Id bet there are some coon and squirrel hunters in your area. They shouldn't be too hard to locate.

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:22 pm 

She really wants anything that will go up the tree. Teaching her to alert once she's done it is a different story. She did catch 2 garter snakes in the back yard the other day and was extremely proud that she had kept them from going anywhere. Started barking just to get me to come over.
I do a bit of bird hunting, quail and pheasant mostly, and while she doesn't really handle as well as a bird dog. She thinks she can catch the bird instead of working as a team. I'm going to talk to a few people and see what I can drum up in terms of hunting buddies for coons and squirrels.

Board index » General » The Right Match