Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » The Right Match

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:35 pm 

I wouldn't expect much of a bird dog. A cur/hound mix is just that and neither one of them excel at pointing or retrieving(on average).

Try sqdog.com, http://www.coondawgs.com, coondogs.net and http://www.biggamehoundsmen.com. There are lots of good guys (and ladies) out there. There is bound to be one in your area.

They have some tricks for getting a dog to bark on tree too.

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:18 pm 

Steve, Thanks for the links! I had seen on the web a couple people talking about using their lacys as bird dogs, and I kind of hoped some of that rubbed off on Ruby. That is not the case, but I have hopes that I'll be able to work her in a way that suits her drive.

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:27 pm 

My Blue Lacy Ranger went to the Play Day Sat. & then we spent the rest of the weekend @ Inks Lake. Again, I agree they're not the dog for everyone, but to me, Ranger is perfect. Although he IS only 6 months old so anything can happen.... :)

Julie N wrote:
Bo Weavil replied to Christine's post on April 14, 2009 at 12:42am

I like you, became interested in a Blue Lacy after researching the breed online and seeing its great bio...i then realized too late, that's it all 1 bio, written by 1 person, cut and pasted to about 20 different dog sites, since they breed is rare enough that only 1 or 2 people have bothered to write a full description. I've now had my Lacy for 7 months...here's reality.

1.- Blue Lacy's are HIGHLY HIGHLY DESTRUCTIVE DOGS, even for puppies. My dog will eat any cord, shoe, comforter, you name it. It it's something fun to chew, he'll rip it to bits.

Ranger has chewed on a window sill corner, destroyed one of my son's RC helicopters (BONUS: son now puts all his toys in his room!!), and has eaten more napkins/paper towels, etc. than I can count. That's it (so far--LOL)

2.- They're stubborn as hell. If they get outside without a leash, they're stay still until you get within about a 5 feet of them, then run away for 20 yards, and repeat...

Ranger is consistently left off leash. He never 'takes off' -- even after other dogs or to greet other people.

3.- HARD TO HOUSEBREAK...my Lacy is 7 months old and still occasionally has an "accident".

Ranger occassionally has an accident too. That's why I have tile floors throughout the house. He stayed 3 days in the camper with us & waited at the door when he needed to go out

4.- BIGGER THAN ADVERTISED...I visited many Lacy breeders...most of the dogs I observed are more like females 45-55, males 55-75...be wary of puppies that strike you as "large".

Ranger weighs 42# @ 6 months. Although at the Play Day I saw many many Lacys from 35# to 60#, I would say 'most' were under 50#

5.- They are NOT that terrible fast, because they're thick, dense dogs, almost like a pitbull...muscular yes, fast no.

Well, Ranger looked pretty fast to me going after that hog in the pen. But then, what do I know?

6.- Since they're bred to bay boar and herd, they're VERY vocal dogs. They bark to get your attention, they bark if you tell them "no" out of frustration, etc.

Ranger barks much less than my Shih Tzus. He does bark ONCE if he thinks he needs something I'm eating. He doesn't bark left alone in the camper. And he did not even start to bark at the 'coon until he was encouraged to!

7.- They're jumpers...since they're use to jumping at larger animals as bayers and herders, they instinctively say hello, by jumping at people...very hard to break them of.

Very true! Ranger DOES like to jump!

8.- Don't get too in love with the idea of everyone being impressed and saying "what is THAT cool rare breed?"...because if they're the gray type, 90% of people will think its a Weimeraner, and if its a red or a tri, they'll think it's a mutt.

Or they think it's a lab or Pit mix--LOL!

9.- It doesn't particularly do any tricks well...it's not a natural retriever and is bored by it easily. It's thick body doesn't make it terrible agile, it's more of a bruiser. What it does really well, is tear things you own to pieces.

Ranger fetches, rolls over, shakes hands, brings things to me or my son, and goes to 'his' chair when we eat.

10.- All this is not from the perspective of a rookie dog owner. I've owned a boxer, a mutt, a springer, a german shorthaired pointer, and a great dane...and they were all great...make no mistake...Lacy's are out of their minds. There's a REASON this dog has been around for 150 years and it's still rare...it's because there's not many people bragging to their friends about how great of a pet they make. This dog was born to live outside in warm weather, running around all day nipping at boars, barking at them, and herding cattle...take those activities away from one? And they're just a restless wild animal looking to relieve their depression.

Think about that last paragraph. Still sound like the right dog for you? If you're interested in reading the entire thread in context, check it out on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=3 ... topic=7357.

When we went Sunday/Monday hiking @ Inks, he climbed over the cliffs with me & son, went swimming in the river, dug in the sand, and behaved himself. Several folks came over to see him in the course of the weekend. Most could NOT believe he was only 6 months old because he's so quiet and calm. Oh, he'd try to lick their faces but not being a real nuisance about it. He is a perfect camping dog.

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:44 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yes, I certainly didn't agree with everyone on that list. I think I addressed some of it, but my take on a few of the answers I thought were do to getting a dog from a poor breeder were...

4. Bigger than advertised.
If you get your dog from a breeder that is actually paying attention to the standard and trying to maintain the breed as it was created, you shouldn't get a male over 50 pounds. But too many are breeding huge Lacys and creating huge Lacys. Yet people will deny it and make excuses all day long. I have no doubt that is what this guy saw because that is what I see whenever I look at Lacys who don't come from ethical breeders.

5. They are NOT that terrible fast, because they're thick, dense dogs, almost like a pitbull...muscular yes, fast no.
Again, a well-bred Lacy should be very fast and very agile. But this big bruiser conformation is just like the size issue. People don't care what they breed as long as it is blue and has papers. And this is why we preach that will bring about the downfall of this special breed. Because if you don't select for working ability and physical prowess and proper conformation, you'll create a population of oafs being passed as a Lacys.

9. It doesn't particularly do any tricks well...it's not a natural retriever and is bored by it easily. It's thick body doesn't make it terrible agile, it's more of a bruiser. What it does really well, is tear things you own to pieces.
They do some tasks extremely well. They bay, herd and track naturally. As I stated above, a well-bred lacy is agile and fast and will excel at things like agility and fly ball. But no, they are not natural retrievers or bird dogs, and it is a huge shame people try to advertise them as such. Yes, they are very smart, and yes, they are very driven. You can teach them to retrieve if you really want to. But it is not a natural instinct and very few will ever love it the way a Lab or other retrieving breed does. Seriously, if you want a blue bird dog, get a Weimaraner and leave the Lacys to folks that can work them in appropriate ways.

As far as having the potential to be destructive and roam and jump and bark and get a bad attitude... of course! That is what frustrated working breeds do. A well-bred Lacy is a highly driven dog. They do indeed want to be baying a boar or snapping at cattle. If you don't have an outlet for them, they will be handful. You should never get this breed for its good looks. Unless you want a very active dog and can provide an appropriate job for them, this is not the breed for you.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:45 pm 

blueranger wrote:
My Blue Lacy Ranger went to the Play Day Sat. & then we spent the rest of the weekend @ Inks Lake. Again, I agree they're not the dog for everyone, but to me, Ranger is perfect. Although he IS only 6 months old so anything can happen.... :)

Julie N wrote:
Bo Weavil replied to Christine's post on April 14, 2009 at 12:42am

I like you, became interested in a Blue Lacy after researching the breed online and seeing its great bio...i then realized too late, that's it all 1 bio, written by 1 person, cut and pasted to about 20 different dog sites, since they breed is rare enough that only 1 or 2 people have bothered to write a full description. I've now had my Lacy for 7 months...here's reality.

1.- Blue Lacy's are HIGHLY HIGHLY DESTRUCTIVE DOGS, even for puppies. My dog will eat any cord, shoe, comforter, you name it. It it's something fun to chew, he'll rip it to bits.

Ranger has chewed on a window sill corner, destroyed one of my son's RC helicopters (BONUS: son now puts all his toys in his room!!), and has eaten more napkins/paper towels, etc. than I can count. That's it (so far--LOL) I can honestly say that our three, yes if left unattended for any length of time would find something to get into. But as soon as I trained the family to watch, take out and tire out our pups we didn't have many problems. MY pit pups were much worse.

2.- They're stubborn as hell. If they get outside without a leash, they're stay still until you get within about a 5 feet of them, then run away for 20 yards, and repeat...

Ranger is consistently left off leash. He never 'takes off' -- even after other dogs or to greet other people. I taught our pups to come early on. There were occasions were they didn't want to but with a lot of praise and treats I did not have any problems training them to come to me. I have been able to control my dogs by voice alone. The exception being Frontline fleaspray time.. Otis can sense it before I get the jug; Amos is just plain complacent and obedient and comes anyway.

3.- HARD TO HOUSEBREAK...my Lacy is 7 months old and still occasionally has an "accident".

Ranger occassionally has an accident too. That's why I have tile floors throughout the house. He stayed 3 days in the camper with us & waited at the door when he needed to go out I had very few problems with them. They house broke earlier than my other dogs. I too camp, and they are great companions. No accidents, no barking, no problems and that's saying alot when you are camping.

4.- BIGGER THAN ADVERTISED...I visited many Lacy breeders...most of the dogs I observed are more like females 45-55, males 55-75...be wary of puppies that strike you as "large". Baze is 47; Otis 48 and Amos is 52

Ranger weighs 42# @ 6 months. Although at the Play Day I saw many many Lacys from 35# to 60#, I would say 'most' were under 50#. All three of these guys are fast and agile. Amos is just a little taller, other than that he looks trimmer than the Baze or Otis

5.- They are NOT that terrible fast, because they're thick, dense dogs, almost like a pitbull...muscular yes, fast no.

Well, Ranger looked pretty fast to me going after that hog in the pen. But then, what do I know? My dogs are very fast and are not dense. They look like Lacys are supposed to look, IMO.

6.- Since they're bred to bay boar and herd, they're VERY vocal dogs. They bark to get your attention, they bark if you tell them "no" out of frustration, etc.

Ranger barks much less than my Shih Tzus. He does bark ONCE if he thinks he needs something I'm eating. He doesn't bark left alone in the camper. And he did not even start to bark at the 'coon until he was encouraged to! Baze is a terrible barker at anything outside when he is in the house. Not so much out. He's socialized to death. Amos and Otis bark when there is something to bark about. I pay attention. They are much more likely to low growl at something than bark. I watch their actions like alerting for snakes or whatever is odd.

7.- They're jumpers...since they're use to jumping at larger animals as bayers and herders, they instinctively say hello, by jumping at people...very hard to break them of.

Very true! Ranger DOES like to jump! Baze jumped flat footed over my horse stall which is 5 ft. when I asked him to. Amos and Otis have never tried to jump over their kennel our property fence which are 4 ft; I don't ask so I'm hoping that they don''t connect the dots. although I do ask them to jump over my truck tail gate to load up.

8.- Don't get too in love with the idea of everyone being impressed and saying "what is THAT cool rare breed?"...because if they're the gray type, 90% of people will think its a Weimeraner, and if its a red or a tri, they'll think it's a mutt.

Or they think it's a lab or Pit mix--LOL! same here.

9.- It doesn't particularly do any tricks well...it's not a natural retriever and is bored by it easily. It's thick body doesn't make it terrible agile, it's more of a bruiser. What it does really well, is tear things you own to pieces.

Ranger fetches, rolls over, shakes hands, brings things to me or my son, and goes to 'his' chair when we eat. OMG...Amos will retrieve all dang day...no kidding. Baze and Otis could care less. They are more interested in stopping Amos from returning to me with his sticks.

10.- All this is not from the perspective of a rookie dog owner. I've owned a boxer, a mutt, a springer, a german shorthaired pointer, and a great dane...and they were all great...make no mistake...Lacy's are out of their minds. There's a REASON this dog has been around for 150 years and it's still rare...it's because there's not many people bragging to their friends about how great of a pet they make. This dog was born to live outside in warm weather, running around all day nipping at boars, barking at them, and herding cattle...take those activities away from one? And they're just a restless wild animal looking to relieve their depression.

Think about that last paragraph. Still sound like the right dog for you? If you're interested in reading the entire thread in context, check it out on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=3 ... topic=7357.

When we went Sunday/Monday hiking @ Inks, he climbed over the cliffs with me & son, went swimming in the river, dug in the sand, and behaved himself. Several folks came over to see him in the course of the weekend. Most could NOT believe he was only 6 months old because he's so quiet and calm. Oh, he'd try to lick their faces but not being a real nuisance about it. He is a perfect camping dog.
I'm right with you on this one. I take my dogs everywhere with me; they still aren't particularly dog friendly which I think is mostly protectiveness and me not taking and having the opportunity to get them out around other dogs(Baze is not this way). my dogs have been on canoe trips with no problems

[color=#FF00BF]
I can honestly say that Lacy's are very very active but this hasn't been a problem for us. Don't you think that a lot of these people just don't know how to properly train and raise an athletic dog?? I'm sorry but this blogger sounds like he got a dud or more likely, he himself was a dud. Almost every thing he's said is so not like my dogs. I think he was looking for the magically trained pup without putting the time and energy into him JMO.
I don't consider a few negative bloggers or dogs found in shelters to be indicative of the integrity of Lacy breeders. This is going to happen has more and more dogs are bred.
What is the saying about don't let a few bad apples ruin the whole batch??

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:45 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Amos Moses wrote:
I can honestly say that Lacy's are very very active but this hasn't been a problem for us. Don't you think that a lot of these people just don't know how to properly train and raise an athletic dog?? I'm sorry but this blogger sounds like he got a dud or more likely, he himself was a dud. Almost every thing he's said is so not like my dogs. I think he was looking for the magically trained pup without putting the time and energy into him JMO.

Yup, agreed. I do think he got his dog from a bad breeder. The physical description alone - heavy, bulky, uncoordinated - is indicative of a poorly bred Lacy. Right now, being on a list of "approved" breeders just means you signed a code of ethics and sent in your dues. It does not mean you are producing good Lacys. Prospective owners need to do their research! If you go to see dogs and they are all too big and clumsy or they are aggressive or whatever, you shouldn't get a pup from that breeder, no matter who they are or aren't associated with.

I think the point about being ignorant on training and raising a working breed is even more important. Lacys have definitely been marketed as perfectly trained pets. And yes, I do mean trained, a breeder once claimed her puppies were born housebroken, which is ridiculous. So I'm not surprised there are still new owners shocked by how challenging a Lacy can be.

But we're getting an increasing amount of diverse information about Lacys online. You can find phone numbers and email addresses for experienced breeders and ask them questions. If people do their due diligence, they will know what to expect. And if breeders do their due diligence on buyers, we'll hear a lot less stories like this one.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:59 am 

We had a gentleman call and say he was worried because he kept seeing all these cute pictures all over the internet and he wasn't seeing any working pictures until he got to our site, so I guess the proof is in the pudding. He wasn't looking for a dog sitting driving the car he was looking for a dog working cows, or hogs. I can not wait to see the rest of the pictures.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:48 pm 

My honest opinion about my lacy is that while he's not speedy, he does get the job done when he wants to. He never was a speedy dog..he has had to slow down quite a bit since his front leg was broken when he got hit by a car years ago.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:51 pm 

There is a reason why our Kennels ONLY place pups in working homes..
For a year now I have had a full waiting list, and have yet to breed a litter to meet that "demand"
Why? Because we are still weeding through that waiting list finding the very best working homes while discarding the pretenders. That is not meant to offend anyone or sound rude BUT if buyers are not going to do their part in educating themselves on what a working breed needs (here is a hint..a JOB..usually one the breed was designed for ;) ) then it falls on we the breeders to be more assertive in our placement as well as our reasons for breeding.
It's a matter of supply & demand...if there is not a demand for your breed at the moment..then don't breed your dogs. That is pretty simple.And by demand I mean job market.
If you have ranchers & hunters crawling out of the wood works NEEDING a Lacy for a JOB..then you start the process of breeding a litter, and do so, without neglecting or compromising your over all goal for your lines and breeding program.
THAT alone would cut down on some of this negative feed back on the breed and prevent these types of stories from occurring as often as what we are seeing them crop up now..

IMHO
~Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:47 pm 

I just came across this and I'm steady laughing my butt off.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:57 pm 

my dogs do well in the cold, were house broken in a matter of days and are great working dogs and great house dogs

Board index » General » The Right Match