Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post subject: jumps out of truck???
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:43 pm 

harley jumps out of my truck i have never had a dog do this she jumped out the window the other day to play with a chihuahua ,jumped out when i ran upstairs to lock the door is there anything yall know i can do to ? she does jump in the truck its a dodge 2500 with 6in lift and 37s so she is not scared of it

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:42 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

What I would do is to never let Harley in or out of your truck without your having given a release command. Cannon's is "ding", and he has to sit outside the car door and wait until I give that command before he gets in. Likewise, he has to sit in the car (with the door open) as long as I want, only getting out when he hears the 'ding'. It gets so they wouldn't even -think- about leaving the vehicle without being given that release. Comes in handy when I need to get out to open a gate or something.

Another thing that would help would be to work on an extended stay, both in and out of the truck. Probably actually easier with him in the truck to start. Gradually increase your distance and the length of the stay, with him in the truck. Work it so you both release him when you are away from the truck, and also walk all the way back to him before you release him. You'll be able to get the distance to be pretty far, and work up to being out of sight.

All this is easiest with a clicker, but I trained this with Cannon before I started doing any clicker training, and it didn't take long.

Having a good "wait until released" is wonderful. The toughest one for Cannon is when I have him sitting and put a food pouch out 40 or 50 feet (part of the agility training), having him wait until I get back and then release him before he goes and gets the pouch. It's hard for him to wait for the release after I get back to him. He knows it's coming right away, and it's hard to stay put.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:39 am 

Our dogs ride in dog boxes or on a "chain gang" in the back of the truck so we don't have that problem
BUT when they first started riding Mike would always tell them to stay even though they couldn't get out. That repetition has them to where they can ride freely in the back of the truck and they keep their behinds in it until they are told they can get out.
Of course it helps that they associate the tuck with hunting/work so they WANT to be in the truck..
You can let our Lacys and our Pits out and you can count on them going straight to the truck bed and loading up or standing in front of the dog box waiting for the door to be opened.

~Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:15 am 

Chula jumped out of a truck once and the storms of shouting and screaming people scared her half to death enough so that she turned right around and jumped into the bed of the truck from the ground without the tailgate down! :))

It's the best idea to use a command word to let dogs out of trucks. I try to make my dogs listen to me before they do just about anything -- eat, load up, get out, whatever. I always tie the young dogs who don't have experience riding in a truck. You can use a regular leash and tie it to one of the little holes in the truck -- just make sure that they do not have enough slack to jump off the side... When you get ready to let them out, use whatever command word you want to use and let them out and praise them a little for listening to you. They should pick up fast on the command. :)

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:49 pm 

I had an Aussie that I thought would never learn 8-| she loved jumping out of the truck going down the road..never when we were going real fast, she was to smart for that!
She would tuck and roll and go investigate whatever caught her attention..

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training