Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:47 pm 

Reading "Tracking Dogs for finding Wounded Deer" I picked up the notion that a dog that works too fast and doesn't stay directly on the line might not be challenged enough or the line is too fresh.

So I set out to challenge 5mo old Blue today.

Step 1 was to age the drag more, a lot more. He has been working lines of only an hour or two old. This one was 10 hrs

Step 2 was to insure plenty of live deer traffic in the drag area so I started the drag about 15 yards from the deer feeder in the pasture and proceeded about 75 yards though the woods and down an old creek bed.

What I didn't expect was the measured 1" of rain that fell after I made the drag. This little detail almost caused me to forget about trying it.

Well long story short Blue and I headed out into a drizzle to see if he could find his prize.

He went to my marker arrow and got a sniff and instantly started working the area,he had a hard time getting started and took off on a couple of bad lines but never went more than 20 yards or so before coming back to start again. He finally hit the correct line but was very unsure of himself, he even stopped twice and looked at me like "I don't know Dad?" Both of these time I encouraged him and maybe even helped him but he got back to work and was very slow and deliberate which I liked. In the last 1/2 of the line he got much more sure of himself but remained slow and careful and actually found his prize. :-BD

This little Dude amazes me.

As a side note, I have started using old Deer Steaks instead of liver, I leave short gaps in the drag and drip drops of blood from the bag at the checks or turns.

I encourage any comments on what I should be doing different at this stage of the game.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:12 pm 

sounds like to me your right on track, especially in the rain. next step is to get him a live track. I use deer, elk, antelope meat as the treat and only at the end of the trail. also a thawed deer hide at the end for a reward and play toy with you and him. Just give him alot of praize at the end to let him know what a good job he did. another thing you might find handy is the deli style ketchup or mustard bottles to lay your blood trail, they have them at almost any store and you can refreeze the blood while still in the bottle. just remeber he is young and sometimes the attention span isnt that great but he sounds like he is right on track. I almost forgot, these dogs seem to use the wind and scent trail. sage will work both sides not staying in the center of the track. I believe this is normal for this breed.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:41 pm 

One of mine will air sent a lot, the other will almost walk into trees if I drip blood on them. :)) He trails with his nose down and eyes to the ground. He is very methodical on a cold line. I think it has a lot to do with training. I let Copper go off lead a lot and he air scents more than Flint who trained mostly on lead. Putting little rewards along the trail every once in awhile will help keep them close as well. They learn to look for them on the blood line, if that's what you want. Then slowly take them away as it gets instilled that you are happy with their method.

John's book is a great resource to have, I can't add much to what you will learn from it. It sounds to me like you are on the right track. Use the book somewhat as a general guide and adjust to fit your situation. These dogs are smart, it's hard to keep them challenged for long. Keep it fun and exciting, with new twist along to keep him thinking, and you will be fine.

Most might think I'm exaggerating, but watch how you mark the trail. I used flagging tape tied to clothes pins, till I noticed one of mine looking for them. I was laying a trail, came to an old woods road and turned down it for 40-50 yds and marked where I went in the woods with my marker. Well along we come the next day Flint trails up to the road, walks to the middle, looks up the road, then down the road, he spotted that flag and made a b-line for it. Checked under it to find the scent and away we went. :)) I could have kicked him right in the rump, if I hadn't have been kinda proud. :)) You will run out of challenge long before they run out of smarts.

Most of all have fun and enjoy training, because it will be over way to soon.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:34 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

everything sounds good, one thing on your fist live track, when you come to the dead deer, tease him with it so he becomes agressive towards the deer and barks and bites it. He will eventually chew into it, what will normally happen is they eat at the flank till it tears or go at the butt hole and start chewing until they tear it and start snacking on the M&M morsels and some meat. You want them to do this so when they do come up on a deer and you are 500 yards away, they stay with it to snack or chew on until you get there.

Jerryg

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:04 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Brent,

Hey, sounds like you got a good pup!! I totally agree with what everyone has said and as everyone here knows, I am not a professional. But, since Blue is out of Lucy, I will tell you how she works. Blue may or may not work that way, but this is Lucy.

Lucy wind scented a lot as a youngster and she still does now. Sometimes she never puts her nose to the ground and I will think that she has gotten on to something else. Then, I will see a drop of blood. Lucy has a good nose and knows how to use it. She loves to blood trail. Now, where she differs from what Jerry says and, am not saying he's wrong, I'm very sure he knows what he is talking about. You can put out all the treats in the world as Chad and Scott say, and she will not eat them. Lucy only wants to blood trail. She never eats the treats. She could care less about how much you shake the deer hide or whether its a real deer. Once she finds it, she wants to go on and find more. I have tried all kinds of things to make her get excited about finding the deer, but she could care less. The only time that she got excited about finding a deer was when we had Robs dog, Ben along. Then, Lucy was not going to let him have it! But, as far as eating parts of it, it isnt going to happen with Lucy.

I cant tell you how happy I am to hear that you are working Blue and really preparing him for trailing for you!! You and your boys and Blue have a lot of fun ahead of you!! I dearly love to see Lucy trailing and it is one of the most exciting things that I know of!!

Good Luck and we're looking forward to pics this season!!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:03 pm 

I gave up on treats along the trail. A treat is not much fun when you get it in your mouth only to find out it is covered in fire ants!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:26 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Ouch! Poor Blue!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:28 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yeah, fire ants would be a deterant, that's for sure!! I left a piece of liver out at the end of a trail one time. When we got to the end, the liver was gone. Dont know whether the donkeys took it or what, but it was gone!! Maybe a coon snuck in while we were letting the trail age a bit. At any rate, it was gone. Leaving treats out for the dogs sometimes doesnt work out like you plan!!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training