Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post subject: Aww Crap!
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:14 pm 

Momma caught Blue chasing deer this morning. We can't have this so I guess I'll try putting him in with some goats and use the E-collar to persuade him to leave them alone.

Anyone have a better idea?

Post subject: Re: Aww Crap!
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:21 pm 

Breaking off of goats is definitely the way to break them from deer (I have no idea why it works) but, I would not do it until after a couple of tracks. You don't want him to end up unwilling to track or stay with the downed animal. After a couple of live tracks, he might just catch on that live deer are not his target anyway.

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:30 pm 

At my mother's house we have a terrible problem with deer. Anyone around San Antonio probably knows the neighborhood as being overrun by the big rats... Anyways, when my pups want to chase a deer, I shock the living heck out of them if they have a shock collar on. Make sure to train the "out" command when you can. If they don't have on a collar and don't respond to "out", then I'm pretty much out of luck so I resort to shouting like a moron. :))

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:21 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

As much as I dislike it, we have had to shock all of our dogs off of deer. If I dont let them get too far ahead of me when we are walking, then I can stop them by telling them 'no'. But, if the are off and running, there is no stopping them, hence the shock collar. I have Roy do it! Lucy has learned pretty much not to chase them, but if the other 2 are in pursuit, she's gonna go too. We borrowed Jimmys 2 dog collar and it has helped. Getting 2 of them at the same time has made a difference!! But, I do think that you have to catch the dog when it first takes off, or you are wasting your vocal chords, just like Rachael says. Also, you never take off after them. Make the dog come back to you. If you chase a dog while calling it, you will never catch it.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:28 pm 

What is this "Out Command" of which you speak?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:59 pm 

I use the word "out" to teach my dogs what's trash and what's not. I call them out when I see them trash when we're hunting, when I want them to quit baying and come to me in a bay pen, and when they are harassing the neighbor's cows. I guess it could be equated to "no", but it's easier for me to make "out" loud and scary. We use "no" for other bad behaviors that are not related to working.

If you're going to train with those goats, I would suggest taking Blue in there with a well-charged shock collar and teaching him the "out" command. When he goes to chase them, shock him and yell "out!" loudly. Once he gets to understand this command and you get a good handle on him, you should call him off of when you want. I think Steve was right in saying you should let him on some blood trails so he will understand that wounded deer are alright and running ones aren't.

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training