Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:31 am 

Well the day after Remi blood trailed that deer we went out squirrel hunting/scouting. We dropped Remi out of the jeep and immediatly new something was up! She took off with her nose on the ground yipping with excitement! We looked up as she headed to the top of a hill and saw a big deer break and run with her hot on its tail...yipping the whole time until you could barely hear her. She finally came back but obviously didn't listen to me telling her to leave it. ~X( I first off want her to be a squirrel dog and I think it is awesome that she can blood trail a deer too. My problem is her running "live" deer while squirrel hunting! Do yall think a dog is smart enough to realize that if the bell and lead are not on that they aren't supposed to chase deer?? Do you think I could shock her off of trashing on deer while squirrel hunting and still have her wanna find a deer that is shot dead or dying?? My thought is that maybe she will realize I want her to follow the blood and not the deer. I almost want to just shock her off deer and if it kills her blood trailing drive then o well. But, she is really awesome at blood trailing!! Answers appreciated...anyone? :-?

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36539866@N07/

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:08 am 

huntark03 wrote:
Do yall think a dog is smart enough to realize that if the bell and lead are not on that they aren't supposed to chase deer??

Yes it only requires constant and consistent repetition over time. By setting them up for success each time that you take her out, minimizing the potential for cross contamination by tracking on lead, while ingraining a task indicator, the positive reinforcement of success will eventually supersede the drive to chase indiscriminately. Drop her on lead, at the point of impact, with a bell or beeper, while tracking and she will eventually associate that indicator with blood trails. A regular collar just being dropped in the woods and carrying a rifle will indicate Squirrel hunting.

Quote:
Do you think I could shock her off of trashing on deer while squirrel hunting and still have her wanna find a deer that is shot dead or dying??

I hate shocking a dog off of anything, especially animals that you may want them to engage at some point. I feel like positive repetition builds much more confidence and drive. That being said, I do it when I need to, once to be exact.

Quote:
My thought is that maybe she will realize I want her to follow the blood and not the deer.

You actually want her following the deer. On tough trails, when the blood peters out, she will follow the inter-digital musk or any other bodily secretion that she can associate with the original track/animal.

All of my dogs hunt hogs, and none run live deer, but each of the will track wounded deer if needed. I don't train for it and I don't use indicators like a bell but they will follow a track that I put them on and get what ever is at the end. The only issue is if they come across a hog track, all bets are off then. But again, that is their focus and that is what I have positively reinforced through constant and consistent repetition so I really can not blame them.....

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:00 pm 

I agree with everything Steve said axcept the live deer part. Shock him off live ones. Coyotes dont chase live deer or they would be running all night long. They run across a track of a hurt deer and they will trail him up. Lacys will do the same. The only reason they run a live one is for fun, Because they know YOU will feed them latter. A good dog wont be interested in a flesh wound either. Ive watched them a long time and can read mine pretty good. Im shure Steve can tell you if one of his srike dogs leaves out ,if its going to strike a hog or going to pee on a tree.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:45 am 

My dad never used the shock collar on his dogs. He has just repeatedly made it known that they are not to chase live deer. We have some that come up in the front yard and the dogs don't pay a bit of attention to them. We have turkeys run across the yard as well, and same thing. Your dog is smart enough to learn that there is a difference between a shot deer and a live deer. Just give it time to adjust. When you first start blood trailing, it's okay for your dog to think it is supposed to be after all the deer. Just make it known. Tell them "no" and get them to realize there's a difference. Don't worry, it will all change after a while. Once they associate the smell of blood with trailing, they don't pay much attention to the deer just running around.

"Dogs show you they love you with their tails."

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:11 pm 

I am by no means an authority on this yet but I can tell you what has happened so far with my 7 mo old pup.

I had already started him on artificial blood lines when one day he sees a couple of doe cross the yard and takes off after them, my wife is hollering at him and he completely ignores her, when he did come back she spanked him with a paper and locked him up in the kennel.

This was a primary concern of mine when I got this pup so my first response was to shock him off now and shock him off hard. Well instead I asked here and reluctantly followed several peoples advise and did not introduce the collar just yet.

After that one reprimand for chasing he will still take off after a deer if he sees it run but 1 whistle and call and he will stop dead and return.

Now after being around several deer being cleaned (and him getting trimmings etc) I worried that this chase would come back, well Friday while at camp 3 doe ran across the hay field and he gave chase, I was watching the deer and not the dog as I said, "what chased them across there this time of day"? to which my dad said, your dog pretty soon! By this time he was near 200 yds from me when I whistled and yelled his name.........and he stopped in his tracks and returned. My dad was amazed and I was proud.

That was a very long winded way of saying, give your pup some time and some positive reinforcement and some reprimands and let him figure out what is good and what is bad. Again I have the experience of only 1 Lacy to go on but he has a very real desire to please and will quickly change his behavior to please.

I have laid many of his track across fresh deer trails intentionally and he has never attempted to follow a fresh trail over a blood line.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training