Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post subject: Re: Bay Pen Traning
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:10 pm 

Julie and Betty,

You are correct. I'm starting to think it was maturation process. I can tell you that I've run across some people who have cur dogs and have decided to give them up because some of them apparently become dog aggressive and prefer to be the only dog on the property. So far that hasn't happened with my dog which is a good thing. As for being laid back, Amber and DJ can certainly attest to that. They have met him in person. My only problem with him is he still loves to chew on stuff in the house...esp kids' toys because some of them resemble the chew toys he used to have in the past so..that's the only thing he needs to work on. Other than that, he's a chill dog in the house. I do notice he is more chill when he gets daily exercise though. I consider myself lucky! :))

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:19 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Misb did you mean camo don't do it or were you talking to someone else ? If it was directed to me I understand your concerns and truly respect You and Mike because of your experince with hogs and Lacy dogs . I read a post a while back that you comment about getting more people with Lacys getting more involved with bay pens . Reading that I thought that I would get some good advise here and some help other than don't do it . I understand that is good advise because of the danger involved for the dogs but I guess I expected more. Like where and how to get started rather than just being turned away. I do not want you or anyone else to take this the wrong way you guys are great I just want to know how and where to start. Thanks again :)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:56 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Camo, Mis was saying don't just rush in and throw a dog in a pen, not don't use a pen period. I think all our comments boil down to being careful and doing it the right way. We've all seen people flippantly dismiss bay pens, throw hogs and dogs together without a clue as to what they're doing, and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

If you are really interested in getting involved with competitive baying, that is awesome. Lacys definitely need more representation at bay competitions, there is no reason they can't beat out the Cats and BMCs and mutts. It does take a lot of dedication and training though. I've been to more bay competitions this year than anyone else, mainly because I like taking pictures, and Sadie still doesn't place. She is completely capable of doing well, I just haven't had the time to get her jamming by herself in a pen for 2 minutes. And part of me feels a little guilty about letting down the breed down in public. But it has certainly taught me to respect the art and science of a good bay pen dog.

That's why Gilbert and Mr. Mason really are great places to start, they understand what it takes to make a bay pen dog, plus they are professionals who put safety first. I bet Gilbert will let you show the dogs a hog if you make it to Bremond this weekend, and if I make it out there, Sadie loves showing pups the ropes. Mike certainly knows what he's doing too, but I'm guessing his 30-day residential training program is more than what you want at the moment.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:03 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Thanks Julie I am very intrested in the bay pen and hope that I get a chance to meet you next time you are there. I understand what every one is saying and thank everyone for there imformation . I will talk to Gilbert this weekend and see what we can help me with if he dosen't get rained out again .What is Mikes 30 day Program ? Thanks again for the help hope to meet you .

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:20 am 

Our 30 day program varies from dog to dog but in a nut shell its lots of pen time at just the right time, starting with small pigs and working up until the dog can handle our biggest boar with agility, smarts and consistency. All the other stuff in between is letting the dog remember it is in fact a dog and allowing it to feed its natural prey drive. Some dogs need more nurturing in that area to bring out their inner predator.
There are a lot of things in between each pen session that go into it as well that are my little secrets ;)

The BIGGEST component is the dog being able to trust the handler training him/her..as the trainer you have to have no fear of the hogs, complete confidence..and the dogs take their cue from you.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training