Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post subject: Jumping.......
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:00 pm 

I have a question about breaking a pup from jumping on you. I have never had a breed I couldn't break from this. My pup is constantly jumping up on peoples legs.

I have tried the knee, I have tried swatting her, no, down, etc.

What has worked for you?

Post subject: Re: Jumping.......
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:45 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The only thing that has worked for me with Abe and Larry is for me to hold my arm in front of them to where it would hit them in the throat and give them a hard "NO" when I do that. Lucy wasnt so bad, but the other two are. Lacys can be a little hard headed and your pup is still very young. I'm sure others will tell you to get a hold of her now, while she is little, but that never worked too good for me!! LOL!!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:05 pm 

Betty..... that is how I have always done every dog I have owned. And that is what I am trying to do with Sookie......... get a handle on it when she is young.

I guess I need to take her somewhere away from home (and my Lab) to train her? Maybe the excitment of wanting to go play with him is beating me at this game?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:47 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Good luck! Ben caught on to everything so fast.......except the jumping thing. I tried everything too, the only thing I found that helped was time. Now that he is older I noticed he no longer jumps on me, he will still jump on mom and dad but really does not do it to anyone else.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:29 pm 

when the dog jumps up on you step on its back foot, when it stays down tell it good dog and show it some affection. jump=pain down=love they will catch on quick. That dog is just a pup so it will take repetition with the down command. I wouldnt go as far as steping on its back foot yet~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:45 am 

Most of my dogs jumped on me when they were little. I usually just knee them in the jaw/face and step on their back feet when they do it. Also, if they're on chains or a lead, I step on the chain to hold them down before I pet them, give them attention, or let them off. I would suggest not giving affection to the dog unless it is being calm. I let mine run their excitment off for a few minutes after I let them out of their kennels before I even acknowledge them.

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:22 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Rachael Connally wrote:
Most of my dogs jumped on me when they were little. I usually just knee them in the jaw/face and step on their back feet when they do it. Also, if they're on chains or a lead, I step on the chain to hold them down before I pet them, give them attention, or let them off. I would suggest not giving affection to the dog unless it is being calm. I let mine run their excitment off for a few minutes after I let them out of their kennels before I even acknowledge them.

This is what I would suggest, too. It works for most of our dogs. It doesn't work for Piper, though. She wants my attention more than she wants to run around. I have to be very stern with her and make her sit before I even open her gate. Then when I open it, she usually goes nuts, but before she's able to jump on me, I get her to sit again. I pet her for a few seconds, then tell her "OK", and she runs off with the other dogs.

Most people will notice when they meet Piper that her manners are lacking compared to our other dogs. She came along later, and was DJ's "experiment". He thought less 'handle' would = more 'hunt'. I'm not sure if he would say it was a success or not. I just call her "Hyper Piper". ;)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:59 am 

I do make her sit before I open the kennel. And like said above, once I do open it....... she goes on turbo!

I am going to give a few things I have been told a try and see how that goes.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:25 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

There is just something about Lacys and jumping up on you. Sadie is truly a ball buster, and just ask Steve, she has amazingly accurate aim 8-|

You have lots of good things to try, but if you know she sits on command, I'd work off that. Put her in a sit, go to open the gate. If she breaks from the sit before you give her a command, at all, shut the gate again. Have her sit until you go up to her and you say hi first. And if she does jump, back in the kennel she goes, start all over. She'll get the picture.

Sadie charged out the front door a couple weeks ago to bark at a new Papillon that lives around the corner. Fortunately she didn't do anything except look scary, but I decided we needed a new rule to make my life easier. She often goes to the front door and hits it with her paws to go out, but before I'll open it now I say "Get back." She backs up to the stairs and sits on them. Then I open the door and look out and make sure the coast is clear. If her butt moves even one centimeter before I saw "OK," the door shuts again. It only took twice for her to understand the commands, three days for it to be essentially perfect. I use that type of "If you want X you have to do Y" training a lot and it seems to work exceptionally well with Lacys.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:36 am 

Thanks for all the info guys/gals....... at least now I have a direction to go since none of my other breed tactics sem to be working.

And I thought my old pits were head strong......

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:49 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

That's why I always chuckle when people say Lacys are easy to train.

Incredibly driven to work? Absolutely. Lightening fast learners? No doubt. But naturally obedient, pliable, patient? Uh... :)) It can actually be hard to train a dog as intelligent, independent and driven as a Lacy. They will take to their work like they were born doing it. But sitting patiently while you open a gate? Way too boring, and way too easy to train the humans to go along with their agenda 8-|

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:29 pm 

Julie N wrote:
That's why I always chuckle when people say Lacys are easy to train.

Incredibly driven to work? Absolutely. Lightening fast learners? No doubt. But naturally obedient, pliable, patient? Uh... :)) It can actually be hard to train a dog as intelligent, independent and driven as a Lacy. They will take to their work like they were born doing it. But sitting patiently while you open a gate? Way too boring, and way too easy to train the humans to go along with their agenda 8-|

It is a fact that she is testing me...........

But, I like it! :D

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:00 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I dont have a great deal of training attitude in me, but my dogs are pretty good, which says something for them, I suspect. You will find that Sookie has her things that she will be great a learning not to do and others that are just more than you can ask of her! :)

Lucy was intent on herding any and everything. If she couldnt herd it, she would pull it. She was horribly mouthy and chewed on arms if she didnt get her way. She was a royal pain in the ass when she was young. Now, she is a very well behaved social dog. Each dog has its own thing and you will get Sookie figured out.

I have to keep the dogs in the house while my barn cats come in to eat. When I figure that the cats are through, I tell the dogs that we are going to go clean up the cat food. Away they go for the hall. When I get to the door, I ask them 'What do we do'? They are learning to sit when I ask them that. If they dont all sit, I tell them to sit and eventually get them all sitting, then tell them to stay while I open the door. Since there is no food in the world as good as cat food, having them stay while I hold the door open is a bit much!! But, they do it. Then, I point to one dog and let that dog go while the other 2 stay, then another dog goes, then the last one. They dont have it down pat, but we're all doing pretty good at it and I'm proud of myself and the dogs. Man, tho, when I let them go, they are hell bent to get to the cat food. When I am tired or just not in the mood, I just make them sit and let them all go at once and I just get out of the way!!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:15 pm 

Y'all mean that me scratching his eats won't make get down?

This damn dog has made me soft! :-\

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:26 am 

bboswell wrote:
Y'all mean that me scratching his eats won't make get down?

This damn dog has made me soft! :-\

Ummmmmmmm NOPE ;)

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training