Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post subject: "Correction Area"
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:20 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

During Lamar's demo at the expo, he explained how humans' "correction area" is our backside, and for dogs, it's the back of their neck. I meant to ask him a few questions about that, but I never got a chance. Mis and Julie, I know y'all are familiar with his training methods. How does he correct at the back of the neck? A pinch collar or some other way?

Post subject: Re: "Correction Area"
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:51 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sorry I'm so slow on this Amber, SXSW started and I have guests in town and I haven't had a moment to breath since the Expo!

The correction area theory is why those trainers like using the pinch collar. A pinch works differently than a chokes. Chokes put pressure on the windpipe, literally cutting of the air supply and pinching the skin to get a result. Pinch collars put an even pressure around the neck, very similar to what I'd imagine a momma dog or wolf does to her young. I've put Sadie's pinch on my thigh and that was indeed the sensation, a sort of even bite-like pressure.

You'll notice both trainers stressed working on leash, and that is why. They focus on rewarding in moderation (praise, treats, tug) good behavior while precisely and properly punishing (pinch collar) bad behavior. Of course you need the leash attached to a collar to do that. But I think the combo of rewards and punishment is what Sadie needed. She certainly didn't need punishment for learning obedience, that was 100% positive reinforcement and IMO her commands like come, sit, down and stay are excellent. But for behavior she did need a boundary set. I could reward the good behavior, she sorta got that, but it was until she had proper corrections for unacceptable behavior that I saw a difference in that area.

I do want to point out that a collar correction is very different from a boot in the ass. Having a tool that corrects the inappropriate behavior exactly at the moment it occurs is an effective way of stopping that behavior. There is a very clear connection in the dogs mind, and I think the way a pinch works gets the point across with less force because it is working in their natural correction area. Smacking a dog, which is more what humans do to their children, isn't very precise and we can't explain the context. You can tell a kid they are getting spanked for running in the street, but unless you smacked a dog at the exact second they do something, you've lost the context for correction.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training