Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:26 pm 

:D This might sound silly to ask but did any one you have trouble training your dogs to sit and stay? :)) Rudy will sit and shake but I have tried several times to get him to learn stay and we are getting no where with it. So I am open to any suggestions. This would help us so much! He would be allowed in the house more often if he could do that! Thanks, Laura

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:45 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I make sure to use hand signals with the command I want them to do. When I want them to "stay", I start by telling them to "sit". Then I will tell them to "stay" with my hand up in a stop type hand signal and take a step back. Don't try to hold him in "stay" more then a second after you take a step back. Then call him to you, again "come" should be a different hand signal then sit, stay, ect. Treats help! Once he is starting to stay for a second increase the steps back and keep telling him stay and using your hand signals and walking back slowly.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:32 am 

Could not have said it better!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:18 am 

Thanks! That is what I have read in the dog training books. I guess I will have to just keep trying over and over again. He just doesn't want to stay there even if I start to take a little step back. He gets up and comes to me wanting the treat after all he sat! (He will sit down on his own now in front of me when he thinks that he might be getting something! He will even put his paw up in the air!) I will update you all later. I will try a couple a times today and keep at it this week.
We are walking once a day now. He has a new easy walk harness. It has really cut down on the pulling. He is doing well with that. Still some pulling but much better. If he pulls too much one way, I stop and turn the other way. When he doesn't want to come, (which has only happened a few times) I just keep walking and pull on the harness and he comes. So it is going better! Thanks again!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:34 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Learning to 'stay' is a bit more difficult than some of the other things, such as 'sit', 'shake', etc. As you said, just stay with it and he will 'get it' at some point. Once he has 'stay' at a short distance, then it takes a while for him to understand 'stay' when you are further away. When he does not 'stay', just take him back and have him sit, and start all over. It kinda goes against their grain, so to speak, as they want to go with you. But, Rudy will get it, sooner or later. Lacys are smart dogs, but they can be hard headed, so just stay with it and always let him know that you are stronger willed than him and that he has to do what you want!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:56 pm 

Well, we have made some progress on the sit stay. I started using this with his feeding times which were 3 times a day. (2 times day starting this week.) I make him sit and I say stay several times with my hand up as I lay the food dish down near him. He has learned to stay until I release my hand and say okay come! Then he eats! We did it today with biscuits several times! (Boy! Did he love that!) Now to work on stepping away a little and hoping he starts to understand that. :D

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:59 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Congratulations Bill........these are smart hounds, hard headed as well so keep up the good work

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:24 pm 

Thanks but I am actually Laura even tho' I used my hubby and mine's name in my handle name here! BUT thanks for the support! I am now working on time length to increase before I release him to the food or treat. I am not going to wait long but just try to increase the time he has to wait. Then hopefully add a little distance. I tried that today and he tries to follow me and the treat! He is so funny!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:05 pm 

I've trained Shoes by teaching him when I feed him. I make him sit, or down, and then I will set his food bowl down. I know it's heck on him since he LOVES his food. I don't give him any other command to stay or wait because I want him to stay EVERY time I tell him to sit or down. He has to wait for me to say "OK" to go to his bowl and eat. If he gets up or moves, I put him in the same position and place he was and give the sit or down command again. He's fairly good with staying on sit, but still iffy on staying while down.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:03 am 

This is something we are working on with Sam too. He does really well when it comes to eating time ... but our major problem is getting him to sit and stay when the front door gets opened or the gate. He's improving and we have to do the sit, hand out stop position stay... slowly but surely we're getting there. Stick with it Laura you're doing great!

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:51 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

We have a gate that we go thru sometimes on our walks. The dogs have to sit and stay until I tell them 'ok'. If Lucy has already sat, but one of the others havent and I have to keep telling them to sit, Lucy will lay down! Here they are sitting, waiting to go thru the gate.

Attachments:
IMG_1783 1.jpg
IMG_1783 1.jpg [ 79.72 KiB | Viewed 2107 times ]

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training