Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:15 pm 

Well, Rudy has bonded to me. He has come a long way and still needs to go a long way but he is coming along! Do any of you have to remind your Lacys not to growl on walks or in your yard? He doesn't do it often. BUT tonight, he started barking and growling out of the blue on our walk down a new street. Of course, I didn't see anyone or anything. He must have! He barked and moved to put himself in front of me and his hair was standing up on the back of his neck , shoulders, and tail area. I said okay to him twice. I waited and then I patted him and said okay (in a calm voice) that's enough and walked on. He seemed to calm down quickly and he followed me and obeyed! This has happened on more than one time. (Not just on walks.) It hasn't been very frequently and he isn't constantly barking but I have noticed his protectiveness of me at times. It is very comforting and I appreciate it. He has never barked at someone long that I have welcomed into my home or presence. It's just the normal someone I don't know is here possible stranger alert bark. My other dog did this to a point but Rudy seems more prone to it. He is so loving and kind to me. (I am in trouble here guys! I may be wanting to keep a crazy Lacy puppy!) Thanks for any stories of insight anyone can give me on Lacy protectiveness. Thanks! Laura

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:44 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Lacys are VERY protective of their people an property..my female is the "watchdog" of the yard an will let me know when there is anything coming any were close to the yard..Ive known some that are more protective then mine maybe some others will chime in.. :D

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:24 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Very protective as long as you can call him out and he stops its fine. They are bay dogs and they love to bark at things.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:12 pm 

Yep, my 5 month old pup is that way. She barks at everything that moves, LOL.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:54 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yep, they are protective! Abe is really Roys dog, but he will bark at Roy when Abe is in my lap and Roy approaches! :))

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:20 pm 

Betty L. wrote:
Yep, they are protective! Abe is really Roys dog, but he will bark at Roy when Abe is in my lap and Roy approaches! :))

Betty!!! :)) (LOL!!!) Not that I will compare a Great Lacy Dog with a Pomerian ( I know it's spelled wrong!) but my friend had one years ago. Akia was her name. Even tho' she was my friend's dog she would "defend anyone approaching a sleeping person! If she was sleeping with my friend, me, or even her kids, and someone approached us she would growl and bark! I even saw her enter a room and jump on to where the sleeping human was and bark at everyone else! She was a riot!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:09 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yeppers, everyone is telling you the facts.......these hounds love their family and not much else.....I think they tolerate the rest of the world...JMO

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:20 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Jackson was going crazy a few nights back. We couldn't figure out what was going on. He was barking like crazy and running to the back fence. Wouldn't settle inside. The next day someone asked us what was the deal with the kids playing hide and go seek at night last night. I guess they must of figured to stay away.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:38 am 

Rudy was going crazy the other night and it was a very small baby raccoon! He is so funny! We haven't seen it since but he was going crazy a few nights before that so we figured it was the little raccoon then too! Last night, we must have had an owl in the front yard because Rudy and I were in the back yard and I heard it. (It was very close!) Both times it whooed Rudy barked and growled a little! I just took him in after that! I laughed! (Can't have a dog barking at 10 pm in my neighborhood.) Laura

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:07 pm 

One of mine is very protective.... Leave him on the front patio and he won't let another living soul near my door. Same goes for in the car/truck..... If somebody tries to stick a hand thru the car or get close he's lunging for them.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:28 pm 

my buddy's 5 year old blue, which is a blue lacy. she is crazy of course my friend is pretty crazy as well. if she hasn't seen me in a while she will go crazy doesn't try to bark aggressive towards me. but plays bark.

some more barking issues is the truck somebody was near the truck (we were at a red light) homeless person walks by. i would think she draw blood by the way she sounded then the command was given and she let a slight growl out. another one we took my truck, so he got the gate well i said speak and she started growling and barking crazy at him when i drove by him. (she does speak but not like that by the way)

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:30 pm 

Yup I have to chime in and get on the band wagon on this ... Sam is pretty protective of me at times. Specially when it's just me and him in the car, and a few times at the Working Field Day I had to stop him before it got loud (I like that I can usually hear his growl at the first grrr). He seems to mind my "Enough & Off" commands for the most part in public .... now at home with the other pups ... not so much does he listen ... mama has to stand Alpha and make everyone stand down. :ymdevil: Belle is the same way with Shane ... once in awhile the two like to play "my human!" ... but we don't ever let it get to a serious debate ... otherwise it's kennel time-out.

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:08 pm 

Shoes is very protective of my wife, but not so much of me, but I think that's because I've always played protective of him while walking him. I make sure I'm between him and any other people or dogs. When we take him off lead in the field, he will not wander more than about 10 feet from my wife if she's alone. If I'm with him or we are both with him, he will go ahead maybe 50 feet, which I think is him seeing me as the protector so he doesn't have to stay as close to guard Kristen.

In the house, he will bark if he hears a noise that is unusual, and most times will go check it out before barking. The hardest part is getting him to shut up once it's started :D

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training