Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:59 pm 

I live in a small town and have a open yard. I understand about a bigger dog they are hyper which is good for me, i need to start walking and have been wanting a dog that i can take places then i will do more with him when he will obey me, may take him dove hunting this year when he will obey me without the lead being attached to him.

My friend owns one ( and she goes every where with him and i have enjoyed walking her while he is busy messing around, i already have a little 6 yr old mix he is grandma's boy and doesn't do much so a pack walk is in order from what i was reading.

Now about the dog. he is 3 months old loves being outside going to be crated (i have a small crate he may not can stretch out or stand up which is good since he is used to using the bathroom in a kennel), the breeder has taken good care of him and gave him a name that fits him well Tralver. great name since he will be going with me.

now i understand that lacys are bonded to one owner, how will this affect me with him being used to the breeder at this age?

Now I got some tricks planed out the basics, then speak, be quiet (for when people are talking) then shake hands (greeting people) fetch (mostly for dove season) , bring water (not sure if this is possible)

thank yall and sorry for the long reading material. I will have more questions when i get the dog. the grandma is going out of town this weekend. so it might be next Monday i hope

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:04 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Ron,

I dont think that you will see too much of a problem. I know of many of these dogs that have changed homes with little or no problem. The pup will bond with you. You may not see it right at first, but you will become aware of it over time.

I have a dog that I had to bottle feed. I had to feed him every 2 hours or so for 3 weeks. When he got old enough to start eating, he drank his water from a baby bottle that sat by my husbands chair. When he wanted a drink, he would jump up in Roy's lap and look at the bottle. I dont know if it was that, or just something unknown to humans, but he bonded with Roy. He likes me and is always happy with me, but it is obvious that he loves Roy the most. You just never know!!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:10 pm 

Sounds like you will be ok. Best of luck I hope all goes well!

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:10 pm 

Thank yall both. I am excited about next week. I have a good game plan. With training.

Walk twice a day then learning a new basic command every week.

Now how would I train it to grab a bottle water or is that possible with a lacy? I am not sure if thats in a training book or not witch I will be getting

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:19 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

:)) :)) I have trained my dog Larry to find my shoes, but havent figured out how to teach him to bring them to me!!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:25 pm 

Sounds like a good deal all the way around! Congrats!

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:45 pm 

It has to possible to get the dog to fetch water. Some of them beer commercials have the dog doing all kinds of great things, lol

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:00 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

My grandpa's dog (Australian Shepard) was trained to jump into the back of his truck (over the tailgate), open the cooler, and get either a "pop" or a beer for my grandpa. It was pretty cool.

If you want him to get something out of the refrigerator, you'll just need to tie a dishtowel to the handle so he has something to grab onto. Teaching him that trick might actually be helpful in your "real" retriever work by teaching him to have a soft mouth.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:28 pm 

thank y'all. i had my grandma call the breeder in town to let him know we want the pup still. (he didn't answer so we left voice mail)

i keep cases of water on the floor. so he doesnt have to shut the fridge (he might leave the thing open)

my old boss had a German breed dog (its really hard to even try to type) he is a all around dog that took over 100 years to get correct. he has taught it to bring his shoes.

job list= i am going to teach him how to retrieve dove. (will teach him on the lead first so i hope he gets the soft bite down so he don't tear up the dove) i know there not exactly bread for that kind of work buts its a job.
then blood trail for hunting going to start him out from deer blind and let him run to it, then go form there. that's why i need him to learn quite command. (i do make kill shots so it will be hard to make a poor shot i know there is blood that i can use but where is the fun in that for the dog (no reward)

some other neat things.
greet=shake
good bye=put paw up in the air.
say hi=speak once. (once he learns speak)

i am wondering if he will be ok after hunting season i will have to increase my walking distance i think. reason being i dont hog hunt hardly any (if i do we use a ranger and a .243.)

thank yall. i wish next week would hurry up and get here. then again i got stuff to take care of for the boy.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:09 pm 

Sounds like you have solid plans of keeping your pup working. :)

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:53 pm 

thank ya, we will keep each other moving and working.

my grandma says that he will tear up stuff and go to the bathroom in the house while i am on the computer or watching tv. i understand as puppies but not at x year of age. so i will keep him in where i am located. and disciplined when needed

and i understand about crating. so he will be near me.

then when i am gone to where i cant take him. he will be in a big size pen with a top on it (under a tree) i think to keep him from trying to get out i will put a thin layer of concrete in there maybe 1" thick it will also make clean up easier. i think a good size is 20x20x7 feet.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:55 pm 

AmberLowMiddleton wrote:
My grandpa's dog (Australian Shepard) was trained to jump into the back of his truck (over the tailgate), open the cooler, and get either a "pop" or a beer for my grandpa. It was pretty cool.

If you want him to get something out of the refrigerator, you'll just need to tie a dishtowel to the handle so he has something to grab onto. Teaching him that trick might actually be helpful in your "real" retriever work by teaching him to have a soft mouth.

now how did he know the difference between a pop and a beer. i assume one cooler not 2 right? Or cans for pop and beer in bottles

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:42 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

One cooler, all cans. He either knew the difference between the colors of the cans or the scent.

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:35 pm 

AmberLowMiddleton wrote:
One cooler, all cans. He either knew the difference between the colors of the cans or the scent.

Now that is one smart dog.

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:03 pm 

just wanted to say that i may or may not be getting the dog this week :YMPRAY: :(( . since i have had the worst pain ever yesterday while my grandma was out of town for 6hrs (2 hr drive), so i was rushed to the ER when she got home which is 30 min away. turns out it was kidney stones up (had since i was 14) am almost 20. close by the entrance of the bottom part of the kidney. they gave me some pain meds. and thats about it. all i needed was a pain shot and iv fluids (from tossing my cookies and couldnt keep even a little water down since the pain was a 10 (1-10) and i was ready to go. but they had to run all these test to figure out what it is.

i hope the breeder understands. i told him this week sometime and this happens which took most of my money away for the visit.

just wanted to let yall know. i am doing ok so far only a 2 right now. Hope i dont have to pass it (those hurt) i guess cokes, and energy drinks and very little water arnt good at an a young age now i am drinking one energy drink when needed and a lot of water, now its B12 pills (when needed) and water.

i wonder if drinking that doctor pepper saturday night caused all this?

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training