Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:37 am 

Thank ya. He is doing better despite the sleepless night he didn't go to bed until 1:30

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:27 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sorry that your visit didnt go well. Like Ron said, dogs are very forgiving and it wasnt your fault anyway.

To answer your question about the fish oils- many dogs will just eat the fish oils straight. My dogs wont, so for one dog who gulps food- just wrap the pill in soft bread, something along that line and it goes right down. Abe and Lucy have to smell what ever I give them and wont take it when they smell something different. So, I open their mouths and very quickly cram it way down the throat, holding the head up so that they swallow it. Doesnt always work right, but I can get it down sooner or later!!

Lacys can be very hard headed. You just always have to let him know that you are boss. I'm not a trainer of any sort, so cant help you there, just know that you have to always be firm with him. He will grow out of some of that, but it may take a while!! LOL!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:36 am 

sorry for the late reply but been too tired the past couple of days using the computer, and have to watch him constantly. and the cell phone doesnt want to post anything.

i noticed he chews on his tail and legs and anything he can get a hold of (body part wise) he does it constantly. he is eating a good kibble and his coat is nice and smooth. i might try the fish oil next time i go out of town. i did notice some scratch marks on his belly near his hind legs not recent which leads me to believe that he has skin problems. His nip is better its still there and he licks it constantly.

your right about lacys being hardheaded he knows I am the boss but always try his limits even when i am watching him or eating, he gets in trouble about 5 times a day, and puppy prison rarely after no, leave it, banging on the chair, telling him to come here while shaking the treat container doesn't work i use those commands in that order. He hasn't got a wire yet. Its mostly after lunch on the short walks, its too hot during the day for a mile walk for us so 6 tenths of a mile. and i do train him he is getting better at lay down but still wants the treat. and sit he wont do it first try but have to tap his lower back at the base of the tail if i dont have a treat/food handy. (overall he is getting better)

he is pretty smart he understands drop it well, since he will eat pecan shells grass clippings, etc doing a walk. he will find things to get into and bring them to me.(Not sure if dogs can eat those pecan shells.) he knows when i grab the leash he sits 60% of the time and 90% of time to take it off.

He hates being in his crate but once he is in, its lights out. he loves the new crate (the old one blew out of the bed) and i got one form my dad that night (things are well between us and what happened is in the past).

also when he gets older and my buddy gets some time i am going to work with him off the leash, and set up a blood trail.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:54 am 

well he is getting better, he still chews on things but so far he getting better i can leave him in the game room, for several minutes while i get ready or fix breakfast and he will be laying in front of the door (some times i find paper or my sandal).

he pretty much sleeps through out the day, after a walk/run.

i use the term nap time instead of puppy prison (he does make me mad but he is a puppy and doesnt understand) i have to toss a treat to get him in his crate (he still wont go in there on command, good news is he doesnt wine hardly when in there).

i love my lacy and he is getting used to me, i am enjoying every minute with him and looking forward to hunting with him this year.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:49 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

So glad that you are enjoying him. It will get better and better, til he is a great dog to be proud of!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training