Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:47 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sorry, Ron. Will still be hoping and praying that things work out for you. When you are older, the same thing still goes on! Had to get my car fixed- cost a bunch. Now, the water well is very iffy. We do have running water after 6 days, but looks like we will need a new well dug.

I really hope that you get well and get the pup!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:55 pm 

Thank ya, and good luck with your water supply problem.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:10 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Thanks!

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:36 pm 

good news guys/girls. I am a proud owner of a blue lacy :D , his name is traveler born valentines day this year. (i told you the next good post was a pic)

its been worth the pain I have been through to own one.

let me tell you last night no sleep maybe 1.5hrs of sleep got game room cleaned up which we had to take trash out, this morning, its been a long day and i was nearly dying form cant stand it syndrome.

I had to pick him up and carry him to the truck. then same with unloading, treats didnt help out any getting down but he was able to walk after the treat.

he came home around 5:30pm. got flee dipped (i dont think it helped any) and shampoo. he thought you take me to a new place and do this to me.

after eating and running around in the game room, he is asleep next to my chair and his crate.

tomorrow he will be going to the vet and make sure he has all shots and getting flee medicine, (can yall recommend some (prefer cheap but very effective) and going to get him fixed, i got no use in a breeder pup although a bmc and a blue lacy might be cool. (at what age is it bad to get them fixed?)

yall were right about this i have my hands full with him, now who whats to see some pictures :D

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:45 pm 

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:18 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Ah, he's a good looking boy! So glad that you got him!

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:48 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Looking good, glad everything worked out.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:35 am 

Thank ya. He is a handful right now.

He is a great boy we are going to the vet later on to get some flee meds

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:22 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

You asked about the flea meds and all of that, but I was too tired to answer all of that last night. I'm not an expert on all of that as I use very little of that kind of stuff. The vet will probably have Advantix and Frontline, which are both pretty expensive. The Advantix actually repels fleas and ticks, so the dog must emit the poison. Which will keep the fleas and ticks off of the dog and keep them from biting. Frontline only kills the bug after it has bitten the dog. So, the dog can still get bitten and possibly get disease from the bites. I'm not much of a fear monger, so I not pushing the fact that the dog will get disease from a bite, just that it could. These products are pretty expensive, some where around $30 to $40 dollars. But, if a dog is infested, they are good products. I dont know much about the others but there is some info on the Dr. Dog forum. If I were going to use that kind of product, I would stay with one that has been in use for a good long time.

I cant offer much on the neutering stuff. The guys who run males, like to keep them in tact as they are still producing the sex hormones that give them more drive, etc. But, that is a big responsibility if you are where there are females close. I would not get him neutered any earlier than 6 months, but I usually tell people to wait until they are around 18 months. There is a lot of controversy on all of this, so you can research it and make up your own mind, taking into consideration your situation. Also, if he turns out to be a bang up good dog, if he has been neutered, then that line is dead in the water. Maybe some of the others will give you some input on what they do. My boys are still in tact, but we dont live close to ANY other dogs. An unneuterd male is a big responsibility.

Be careful on the vaccines. Dont just give him a bucket load of them. Parvo and Distemper will probably be on the list and for someone who isnt well versed on diseases and dogs will feel a lot better with at least those 2 vaccines. He is too young, in my opinion to get the rabies shot, but I dont know what the age recommendation is in Texas. Some states require it that young, which makes me sick. Traveler doesnt look at all sick,, but if he was to get sick and you took him to the vet and the vet says that he needs boosters, then you should tell the vet that you dont want him vaccinated while he is sick. It says right on the label on the vial of vaccines, ' do not vaccinate a sick animal'. So, remember that.

I use very little on my dogs because a raw fed dog is a healthy dog and if you are able to raw feed, you will see that he doesnt need much. However, if he came from a breeder and had lots of fleas on him, it is apparent that he is in need of some extra help. Blue Dawn dishwashing soap will kill fleas on the spot, so when you need to bathe him and he has fleas, Dawn is good.

The vet will probably also want you to get a heart worm product and again I dont know the names or costs of them, but if you live in part of the state where there are a lot of mosquitoes you might want to get some heart worm preventative. As you learn more about poisons and alternatives to those chemicals, then you can get away from some of the bad stuff. The fewer chemicals that you use on Traveler, the better off both of you will be.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:22 pm 

Congrats Ron20. Good looking pup you've got there!!!! Very bright eyed boy you got there!

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:27 pm 

thank yall both, cherypal, i was attracted to my boys eyes when i first saw him.

betty, i was able to get him to the vet this morning, he is a healthy boy, he had rabies, i forget the other one, and a flu shot.

the flee pill was comfortis, he said he had no problems with the stuff, but i dont see it effective, he still itches at the flees, i dont see them on him, but they are there. maybe k9 anvantix something that repels and kills.

we have already decided to get him fixed, since he will be hard to control around a female (I cant find out what his drive is yet so dont know how he would be).

he is scared of cats and kittens (i dont want him to attack them since they are grandma's), he will bark at them but he will jump around on the lead.

i try working on commands, some multiple if we are playing with the tennis ball.

he is disruptive when i am trying to eat, so i keep the commands for the crate different kennel=reward, puppy prison gets shoved in there. he does cry then he will sleep. when he is in there for what ever reason, i did leave him out while we slept, he did good for that hr and a half until he started scratching flees. which woke me up (-|

we went on a small walk, 2 tenths of a mile. i did find out he hates the leash while over at another house and chews it=getting him self popped and no. he is getting better about being around me.

i did find out he loves the vet, and he loves people

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:10 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sounds like y'all are doing good.

Some dogs really have allergic reactions to flea bites and that will take a while to go away. I would go ahead and bathe him in the Dawn. Keep him soaped up for a while. Between that and the Comfortis, maybe that will stop the scratching some. If that doesnt help get some Fish Oil capsules and try that. Dry skin can make a dog scratch, just like fleas will. You can get fish oil capsules most anywhere, just make sure that they dont have soy in them. Walgreens used to have a good brand.

I picked up a pup from a breeder and the pup was absolutely covered in fleas. I took him and put him in the sink, up to his little nose and bathed him with a castile soap. The water should have drowned the fleas and the soap killed them. He still had a few fleas on him after that. I was at my sisters house and was scared to death that I was going to infest her house with fleas! The next day I combed him with a flea comb and then sprayed him with Adams flea spray. He still scratched forever after all of that!

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:53 pm 

He is doing good today he went to sleep around 11:30 pm and slept till 7. He did scratch, which i was hoping he wouldn't cry wanting out.

he is having some behavior issues mainly minding me I understand that he is a puppy and I couldn't walk him since my truck was down so he was getting into trouble, He will get my shoes and bites them, I tell him no, he still does it, a lot harsher no, if that don't work, bop on the head or on him, and leave it. don't allow him to roam the house with out a leash, he still doesn't mind on the leash while in the house then outside same for on a walk if he sees a cat I have to pull him which I don't want to do that is about maybe 4 times a day a lot better then day one. One more issue he tries to play with my 6 year old which he has bad hips from jumping and some other things so I use the above phrase, this time it was a grab on the skin with force (I didn't want to but my buddy comes first traveler wants to be friends but buddy doesn't want any part of it)
(this is for the underlined part) I do hate using the third step, it hurts me also, and pulling on the leash i will use the above method but i pull on him after he gets moving he is fine. (can yall help me figure out a better way of training him with his hardheadness)

now for some good info, he is minding me well I will make him sit while I put the leash on and same with it off, loading up is still troubling unloading he has it down unless he is scared. he is great about being in the truck to my knowledge i found him asleep in the driver seat when i go to places (depending on what i have to do i will run the truck, just for him haven't tried anything longer then 5min)

we did walk .7 tenths and he seems to do alright i been trying to work with him on sticking on one side or the other (need advice). now he is asleep next to me on the floor. then another walk, maybe a jog for me when i get ready to leave

Betty thank you for the advice I enjoy reading the useful info, I will have to try the dish soap when we get back then fish oil later on, how would I go about the fish oil put it in a piece of meat? I have never heard of it on a dog before. i will look at the doctor dog section here in a bit see what else i can find to give him.

another thing, i want to use him for tracking (not interested in baying pigs, as I have seen what they can do to a dog). (Maybe when he gets about 6 months), but, I am scared that i could lose him if I go out to my buddy's place (I might be able to use his tracking collar) (I cant work with him in town since we got cats and I don't know how he would act off the leash towards the cats)

I wont be able to answer any post leaving around 5:30 today (I can try but my phone doesn't want to help me) since we will be going to my dads for the weekend (good for socializing), its fathers day and funny thing is he doesn't know about my baby boy, he has a dog part pit and lab. sweet as can be (he is great around a baby and rough with a adult while playing, so my just for safe measure my boy will be on a leash until we all know he will do fine.

Sorry for the long post just writing about our day.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:16 pm 

well the visit didnt go well wasted gas for nothing, long story short my dads dog comes around i let him sniff then figured its ok (since the other dog wasnt showing any teeth or barking) then all (insert cuss word here) broke loose when he got down on the ground, my boy got bit on the shoulder and peed all over me. then he peed in the house (his real home) he didn't show signs of wanting outside and he is potty trained. now he is asleep in his cage (i used the term puppy prison for doing something really bad no treats and he gets put in there) instead of bed time (i use treats to get him in)

i guess its my fault in the first place i wanted to surprise my dad but he didn't seem to care that i got a dog. I don't feel bad for nothing else that happened (mainly me and dad fighting with words which made me leave), but my boy (which he is my pride and joy and i don't like it when people talk bad about him or family.

i feel sorry for my boy i never intended on it to happen (could have been worse) he is trying to learn his new master and a new home and i do this to him (some owner i am :(( ), i am not going into the rest of the story (going to be a late night for me (-| ) .

night guys and girls.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:30 am 

Ron dont get down on yourself dogs are good about overlooking our mistakes. Just make sure he knows your his buddy and you got his back.Thats a good looking dog you got good luck

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training