Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post subject: prey drive excersises
 Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:29 am 

Other than playing tug of war with a hide, what are some other thing I can do, to keep my pups drive sparked?

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:37 am 

Pig same size as pup. If they get to catchy increase size of pig.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:56 am 

skrag wrote:
Pig same size as pup. If they get to catchy increase size of pig.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yup

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:09 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I will go and catch me a raccoon, and let them play with it in the trap. Once I feel like they can handle them self I will turn them loose. The tricky part is knowing if they can handle it, I've seen many dogs quit on a big boar coon.

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

Conditioning also involves exposing dogs to the sights and sounds they'll experience in the field. If you have access to a few acres that is rich with game, take walks with your pup running loose as often as possible. Shoot some small game while you're at it. You'll have a dog that's not only comfortable in the woods but eager to hunt.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hard Knocks wrote:
Other than playing tug of war with a hide, what are some other thing I can do, to keep my pups drive sparked?

One of the things I want to mention (and we will talk about this more in the upcoming seminar) is the importance of motivation in your training.

Working dog people are so interested in these highly driven, high energy breeds because they typically are so motivated to work and play that reward based training works beautifully for them. If the highly motivated dog doesn't do what I ask him to do and I withhold the reward, he clearly communicates that he wants to try again. It doesn't take as much work on your part to train a highly motivated dog.

So, we have the super intense, highly motivated dogs and then we have the dogs with no motivation. You can't make a dog with no drive have drive. It's like a trying to put a round peg in a square hole.

The dogs that I get the most questions about are the ones in between high drive and no drive; the medium-motivated dogs. These dogs show us some motivation but they aren't motivated enough to to ignore certain things in their environment...distractions that are more interesting than whatever work we're doing. Or maybe they are motivated for a little bit then they get tired and give up before the job is done.

So, if the dog doesn't seem to care much about the food reward or doesn't care enough to ignore distractions and focus on the work we want to increase the motivation...and there are ways to build it up.

You mentioned tug...I love to use tug and chase as rewards. Chase behaviors are great for developing drive as well and can be nurtured by throwing a ball or deer leg. But when playing these games, it's important to make yourself more interesting and more dynamic to a medium-motivated dog. Move and turn your body aggressively...in a way that's exciting to the dog and really makes the dog work to catch and pull the hide. It takes some practice on your part and every dog is different in what they find enjoyable.

With food rewards, if the dog isn't interested in blood or raw meat, it's ok to fast him for awhile and then add these things to their diet.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:36 pm 

Thanks for the info Courtney, its really helpful.If I had to choose a classification for Jagger, hes def high drive.He doesnt give up at a.l when it comes to tug.In fact, when Im playing tug with my BMC, he gets wired up just watching.When I let her win, Jagger will jump in, as if to say not so fast.lol If she lets her guard down for a second, hes got the hide and its off to the races.She'll drag his butt all over the pasture, but he never gives up, until I deem that playtime is over.I guess I should have said nurture his drive, instead of develop it.lol

Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Those are definitely the behaviors I would look for in a hunting or tracking prospect.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training