Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post subject: Newbie- Where to start?
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:04 pm 

Hello all,

There is some great info on this site. Thank you for all ya'll do for the blue lacy breed. I recently got a blue lacy as a gift. My father bought a blue from a friend who had extenuating circumstances. His name is Levi. The previous owner trained him very well and blood tracked with him. He is about 2 years old, and supposedly has papers but I am still working on getting those. My father kept him for me for about 3 months, during which time he did not have very much time to work with him, so I think he's a little rusty at this point.

Though I have a bit of experience obedience training dogs- and Levi is doing pretty well in that area, I am most certainly a novice for the hunting/tracking training. I can already tell he has great instinct because all he wants to do when I take him out is let himself go where his nose takes him.

So I'm posting today to ask about steps I need to take to get him back up to par and equipment, etc. I need to acquire to reach that goal. My goal is to get him back to where the previous owner had him and hopefully even better to be able to offer a tracking service to and network with outdoors people. Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie with tips and advice.

WreckEmTech

Post Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:20 pm 

I am not a professional trainer by any means,but I can start ya down the right path. You will need a tracking collar or harness.If you decide to use a collar,get one that is at least 2" wide.The wider the better,it will cause less pressure on the dogs throat,if he pulls on the lead.Only use this collar when the dog is tracking,He will learn to associate it, with the job at hand.You will also need a tracking lead that is 25-30' long.It needs to be made of a material that will not pick up thorns or burrs,No knots or loops so it will not get hung up in the brush.Some folks use mountain climbers rope,I use a lead made by permatack.Get some blood,any blood will do.It is my experience though,that the blood from a wild game animal will entice the dog a bit more than cattle blood.I also paint clothes pins with fluorescent paint to mark my trails as I lay them.Since your dog has had some training,this tune up will hopefully be an easy one. Mark the start of your trail with one of the clothes pins,and squirt some blood on the ground.I place a few drops everytime my left foot hits the ground.Place a small treat at the end of the trail.When he finds it,Praise him highly,and I mean highly,and hand him another treat.Start off with a short trail,for his tune up 40-60 yds,and see how he does.If he runs right down it,hes not rusty.Work him once or twice a week,in different wind directions.Wind in your face,at your back,crosswinds etc.Once he has that mastered,start the 90 degree turns,and letting the trail age.I age my trails an additional 30 min/wk.Im sure I have forgotten something,but I hope this helps.

Last edited by Hard Knocks on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:34 pm 

I am new to lacys and blood tracking training also. I have a puppy so the circumstances are a little different. I read the book by John Jeaneney and would recommend that highly. I also did a lot of reading on the internet on different forums and stuff. If he already has had some training then you may just bond with him and get him to see you are the leader by continuing your obedience training. Then you may just lay a mock trail and be blown away at how well he does.

Some people use a long lead (30-40 ft) to keep ahold of the dog as he tracks and use a wide tracking collar. Some turn them loose and let them trail free but you need a gps collar or some other way to ensure you don't lose your dog.

I have noticed that folks are pretty helpful in the lacy community so bring any question or problems you have in the future here and I am sure someone will help you figure it out.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:04 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Welcome, WreckEm, glad to have you here!

You may have already done this, but if you will go back and read on the blood tracking threads and the training threads, you will get lots of info. But, please feel free to ask questions at any time. The weekends are always kinda slow around here, but people will jump in as they check in.

I used to run Lucy on a leash because we always tracked on property that I was not familiar with and sometimes even the hunter wasnt either. Lucy never barks when she found the deer, so, I just couldnt take the risk of running her off lead. I might have, had we had a GPS collar. Then, I started running her off lead when we were doing the trials and it was sure a lot easier and I was not influencing her any. She does good off lead and I know that she is working at her best ability.

Try different things, do different things and you will find your way, but as everyone always says- the nose knows!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Wreckem, welcome to the forum!

We love and recommend these leads from Lion Country Supply:

http://www.lcsupply.com/LCS-Custom-Check-Cord/productinfo/CC7/

They are cactus and thorn resistant and you can't beat the price.

You say you have some experience with basic obedience training -- that's great! You probably already know that positive reinforcement works beautifully for working dogs because they are so highly motivated to work. The more motivated the dog is, the better reward based training will work, the harder that dog will work to get the reward and the more distractions that dog will tune out to get to it.

I like working dogs on a lead. I find there are many advantages to working on a lead, especially during training. You can teach dog to correct himself early in your training, leads are safer for dog, you can work better as a team, and it helps the dog work close to the line which increases the chance that you might actually see sign to confirm that the dog is on trail.

It's really beneficial to the dog to start them on a lead so they learn line sense. It's okay for a dog to wind scent or cut corners later as long as they have established line sense first.

Of course, there are some really obvious disadvantages to working on a lead. They tangle in brush and they can slow you down if you are trying to catch a wounded deer. If my dog is having trouble finding scent, I might cut her loose so she can range out a bit to search for scent...but it all depends on the situation and other factors.

I personally don't use a harness. I don't have anything against them -- I can see where a harness might keep the dog from becoming tangled in the lead (by keeping it on his back and behind his front legs.) It seems the best harnesses that fit well and don't chafe your dog are very expensive and I just haven't found one yet that I really like.

No matter what, always be positive when you are working the dog. It has to be a game. You want to be careful not to correct or punish a dog for the wrong reasons. For example, if your dog was tracking and made a mistake, you don't want to yank him off the trail and start punishing him because he's likely to shut down on you.

Have fun!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:43 pm 

Wow,that lead from lion.country supply,is quite a.bit cheaper than a permatack lead

Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:12 pm 
NLDA Board of Directors

Welcome to the board. Lots of great information here on working with your dogs. Keep us posted on how things are going!

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training