Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:29 am 

Julie,

Let's hear all about it!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36539866@N07/

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:18 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Oh no, you remembered!

Flyball was definitely an interesting experience for Sadie. It was very loud, a little chaotic, and a lot of the exercises we did required a helper. So Sadie was a tad edgy from the noise. And then this 250 pound man comes over to help us with our driving exercise, and before I could tell him to be careful, he enthusiastically grabbed her stomach and she hunkered down into defensive mode giving him the touch-me-again-and-you-die stare #-o

Fortunately she got over it by the end of class. She did really well with the ball coordination exercises. And for the last driving exercise, a girl about my size that was very gentle held Sadie while I ran out and she did really well. So well that she actually passed me and kept driving to the end of the mat :ymapplause: I know she has the potential, everyone commented that she has the speed and drive to kick butt, I'll just have to see if she is mentally OK with strangers goosing her every week /:) She is doing so well in agility, I want to make that the top priority, and flyball will just be a bonus if she can handle it.

Chris, most of the exercises we did you can start right now with a young dog. One of the trainers had a 5-month-old pup that was already hitting Xs, driving down the mat on command, catching the ball off the wall, etc. We're supposed to get an email going over all the exercises we can practice at home, so I'll post those up when I get them.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:39 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Speaking of the devil, I just got our homework email. Phew, this woman can type :)) I'm just copying and pasting this, so if you have any questions, let me know, I can try to explain the exercises a little better.

Dogz Rule Homework Assignments

1. Build drive with your dog. You need to become the biggest, most interesting, fun squeaky toy your dog has ever seen. Have someone hold your dog and you get all excited in his face, have his favorite toy, tease him and then run away. Be stupid...squeal and have fun.

The person holding the dog should be high energy also. They should be holding the dog and saying ready, ready, ( in sort of a low growling voice, not mean, just like I'm gonna get that toy not you) Then when the dog is pulling to chase the one running away you say "go" and just let them run. When the dog catches you you should be even more excited and run him back to the holder and do it all over again. Only do this exercise three to four times as you will lose drive and therefore your dog will lose drive.

2. Tug drive. If your dog likes to tug build on that. Just make sure you start and end the session. You should have a special tug that just comes out for flyball. It should not be used for anything else. You should hide it in different places in the house and you should tease your dog. I'm gonna get your tug...where is it...Then when you find it and pull it out make a big deal of it. Throw it around (without letting the dog have it), catch it and run away. The dog by this time should be curious if not down right obnoxious about getting the tug from you. Let him have it when he is really excited and do push pull. Let him have it then push him away, if you start getting a good tug from him go with it. tug tug tug. Pick him off the floor, well maybe not Henri Ha! Then make sure you have a release word like "out" or "give" and you stop the game. You always stop the game. Then you hide the tug til next time.

Again remember to always quit with your dog wanting more. Do not continue to play the game if the dog is bored. It is your job to keep it high drive, fun, and interesting. If the dog is not interested finish with something that is high drive that the dog does like like the chase game.

3. Eye ball coordination. Remember to start slow with this. Throw the ball low and underhanded...when your dog is catching 9 out of 10 move to the wall.

Again keep the ball between your waist and shoulders as far as how high to throw it. No real high loopy throws. You want a good stiff bounce off that wall.

Again you want good percentile results before you move to throwing the ball direct to their face. New people we will go over this with you next week.

4. Clicker train. First you have to do what we call "load the clicker" You just have some high priority treats and during the day or evening time you Click and treat, click and treat, click and treat.

You want the dog to be so accustomed to getting a treat when he hears a click that he comes looking for you. Then you start adding a command. Sit...when the dogs behind hits the ground you click and treat, down...when the dog is truely all the way down you click and treat. Now he learns when I do it right I hear a click and when I hear a click I get a treat. Once you have a good click and treat going work on

5. X marks the spot. I will send the link to a good you tube for this exercise. Basically tho you want to teach your dog to hit the X on the wall on command. A good command is "hit it". Here is the link just copy and paste it into your address box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fda69BoY ... annel_page

I know this is a lot of info but all of these exercises are or should be fun times for you and your dog. If they are not going that way quit. Do not continue if you are bored and not into it or if it is not going right and you are frustrated. Keep it upbeat and fun or wait til we can help you. Flyball should be a fun fun way to spend time with your dog. It builds such a great bond. I have had dogs all my life but the bond I have with my flyball dog (and my flyball team mates) is the strongest and most re-warding.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:37 pm 

That sounds awesome...congrats on the success to both of you!!! :-D :ymapplause:

I'll see what I can do about mastering some of those training exercises until I can get her enrolled in classes. Thanks for the tips!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:59 am 

Julie N wrote:
Speaking of the devil, I just got our homework email. Phew, this woman can type :)) I'm just copying and pasting this, so if you have any questions, let me know, I can try to explain the exercises a little better.

Dogz Rule Homework Assignments

1. Build drive with your dog. You need to become the biggest, most interesting, fun squeaky toy your dog has ever seen. Have someone hold your dog and you get all excited in his face, have his favorite toy, tease him and then run away. Be stupid...squeal and have fun.

The person holding the dog should be high energy also. They should be holding the dog and saying ready, ready, ( in sort of a low growling voice, not mean, just like I'm gonna get that toy not you) Then when the dog is pulling to chase the one running away you say "go" and just let them run. When the dog catches you you should be even more excited and run him back to the holder and do it all over again. Only do this exercise three to four times as you will lose drive and therefore your dog will lose drive.

2. Tug drive. If your dog likes to tug build on that. Just make sure you start and end the session. You should have a special tug that just comes out for flyball. It should not be used for anything else. You should hide it in different places in the house and you should tease your dog. I'm gonna get your tug...where is it...Then when you find it and pull it out make a big deal of it. Throw it around (without letting the dog have it), catch it and run away. The dog by this time should be curious if not down right obnoxious about getting the tug from you. Let him have it when he is really excited and do push pull. Let him have it then push him away, if you start getting a good tug from him go with it. tug tug tug. Pick him off the floor, well maybe not Henri Ha! Then make sure you have a release word like "out" or "give" and you stop the game. You always stop the game. Then you hide the tug til next time.

Again remember to always quit with your dog wanting more. Do not continue to play the game if the dog is bored. It is your job to keep it high drive, fun, and interesting. If the dog is not interested finish with something that is high drive that the dog does like like the chase game.

3. Eye ball coordination. Remember to start slow with this. Throw the ball low and underhanded...when your dog is catching 9 out of 10 move to the wall.

Again keep the ball between your waist and shoulders as far as how high to throw it. No real high loopy throws. You want a good stiff bounce off that wall.

Again you want good percentile results before you move to throwing the ball direct to their face. New people we will go over this with you next week.

4. Clicker train. First you have to do what we call "load the clicker" You just have some high priority treats and during the day or evening time you Click and treat, click and treat, click and treat.

You want the dog to be so accustomed to getting a treat when he hears a click that he comes looking for you. Then you start adding a command. Sit...when the dogs behind hits the ground you click and treat, down...when the dog is truely all the way down you click and treat. Now he learns when I do it right I hear a click and when I hear a click I get a treat. Once you have a good click and treat going work on

5. X marks the spot. I will send the link to a good you tube for this exercise. Basically tho you want to teach your dog to hit the X on the wall on command. A good command is "hit it". Here is the link just copy and paste it into your address box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fda69BoY ... annel_page

I know this is a lot of info but all of these exercises are or should be fun times for you and your dog. If they are not going that way quit. Do not continue if you are bored and not into it or if it is not going right and you are frustrated. Keep it upbeat and fun or wait til we can help you. Flyball should be a fun fun way to spend time with your dog. It builds such a great bond. I have had dogs all my life but the bond I have with my flyball dog (and my flyball team mates) is the strongest and most re-warding.

Julie,

So on this X marks the spot thing, is she supposed to touch it with her paws or she doesn't get a treat or just get close?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:16 pm 

I wish we had thought of Flyball when Ellie was younger..she is so fast !

Do you think instead of a ball we could start a "Fly-Pig" event? :))
I bet ALL my Lacy dogs would wanna play then!
Good Job Sadie & Julie! :-BD

~Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training