Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:18 pm 

Got another newbie question...and I know Chris Frank uses the treadmill some with his dog...so maybe he can help...?

Ever since my wife and I moved into our new house Remi has gone from loving the treadmill and asking to get on it...always wanting to go faster and faster to barely staying on...she lets her back feet almost slip off even going at a 1.5 or 2. I've tried to make it more exciting...used treats...I don't know why she has lost her drive....

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36539866@N07/

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:37 pm 

Hang a steak off the front.. I have no idea, but I am curious how you got her to stay on to beging with. I can barely stay on.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:07 pm 

Now long has the change been effective? If I remember correctly, she is young. Is she just hitting her first heat?

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:40 pm 

Ive tried to get sage to get on mine but once it gets goin he will just jump on then off. I use a lazer pointer out in the yard and both of them will chase the heck out of it! It wears them out! I keep it just in front of them and then they both try to run it down and keep it cornered, then i will run it up a tree let them rest for a bit and then back down the tree and around the yard. Try it, its alot of laughs.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:14 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The move could definitely be affecting her. She might snap out of it once she settles in. How long ago did you move?

I know Sadie had protest moments when we were walking on a leash around the same neighborhood every day for exercise. That's part of the problem with Lacys, they are so smart that you need to keep them entertained. Exercise alone isn't enough, and if it is repetitive, they'll get bored. Which is why it's so great you are getting her jobs to do, cause it sounds like she's gonna need it!

Is there a reason you can't walk her outside? Maybe switching it up, so she only does the treadmill once a week or so, would make it more exciting. Make her want it again and the running on the treadmill might make things fun again.

But I hope Chris jumps in, because I know he'll have the best advice.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:50 am 

Steve,

No, I had her fixed at 6 months because I had no intention of breeding her.

Julie,

We moved in a month and a week ago today. I wonder if it has something to do with her being fixed...because it kinda coincides with that too? We go on a 3-4 mile walk usually morning and night weather permiting. It has been cold and rainy recently so I went back to putting her on the treadmill. That is generally the only time I use it unless I wake up too late or usually on Church mornings. I'm actually waiting for her to get a little closer to a year so we can start running beside the bike. We also have a network of trails all over Maumelle with two lakes and other fun stuff so I'm always taking a different route on our walks.

I can speed her up temporarily with excitement and treats but it doesn't last for long...

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:22 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Chris,

I know Chris F hasnt been on the forum much lately, so I sent him an email. Hopefully, he will get the email and perhaps have some helpful ideas for you. Maybe you should try teaching Remi to walk on the treadmill with her front paws on the handles like Chris F. did!! That should keep her busy for a while!!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:27 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I was just thinking, again. I know thats bad sometimes! But, if you have any shed antlers, you could try training her to find those. I dont know if you would have a place to hide them on your walks, or just in the yard, but it would work on the prey drive a bit, I would think. Just a thought.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:43 pm 

my thinking is maybe she is in a new place with alot of new things to explore. guess i should have said that in the other post, but ive found mine sure do like variety. i use a ball, a disc, the laser pointer, 4 wheeler, antlers, etc. On the antler training i always started them off with those as their first toys. i have them laying all over and they love to chew them. then you can use them as a fetch game then as a hide and go seek game. Then when the deer are sheding their antlers she will just hunt them up. i love it when a pup brings me back shed horn...If she isnt sure about them or if you cant find a fresh one i drill a small hole half way through and stuff it with some sausage. then they will take intrest:-)

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:54 pm 

Chris,

That’s great that you have Remi on a treadmill. Please be patient with me because I tend to blab on!!! Just a brief background on why I put Roush on the treadmill. He has tons of energy and when I lived in Ohio there was no way I was walking 3 miles in 20 degree slushy weather. I still use the treadmill even though Texas has offered me the ability to be outside with Roush just about every day. It’s a great tool if you have a lazy day or don’t have time for some reason. Plus it’s mental and physical exercise.

I am not sure how often you had Remi on it before this started but she could be bored with it, new environment can bring new routines, habits, and behaviors. Remi could feel like she is being forced to be on it even if it’s not your intention. For right now I would stay away from the treadmill if you can. Maybe just wait a couple of weeks and try other activities with her; walking, running, fetch, training, bike rides.

If you have to use the treadmill now or if you wait a couple of weeks you are going to have to build up her interest. Short sessions on it for now, good amount of praise, and make it fun! Talk to her while she is on it and kind of get her pumped up or excited. Don’t leave her side and if possible run/walk right next her on the treadmill. I would also keep the speed low and just have her at a good walking pace for right now. Roush lost interest in it so I just didn’t use the treadmill for about 2 months. Dogs love to run but when they run outside they control how fast and how far. On a treadmill we control how fast and how long. I never let Roush run on it for a long period. I do more sprints for him. I know he loves to run but he has no control of stopping it like he does outside. Remi could relate the treadmill as a scary thing because of running on it too much or some other reason. So reintroducing the “fun” in a treadmill should work.

Another thing I learned is that although a treadmill is great for dogs in so many ways you have to remember that it will build their stamina so fast. During the first winter Roush was on the treadmill I kept him on it for about 45 to 60 minutes sometimes longer. I would always do a warm up and a cool down while gradually increasing the speed and letting him do some sprints on it. Ohio sucks in the winter so he was on it every day for a while. He was tired when he was done but his stamina was building up like crazy. So I decreased his use of the treadmill that way I could get away with 3-4 mile walks every day and not 8-10 mile walks every day. If you vary Remi's exercise she shouldn't lose interest in any forms of exercise. I have videos of Roush on the treadmill that shows his body language and how much fun he is having but I don’t think I can post a video on the forum?

I hope I helped. If not or if you have more questions just ask!

Chris

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:03 pm 

Well...my work has cracked down on internet use so I haven't been able to read and respond as much as I'd like to on posts.

Chris,

Thanks for your input man! I will try to keep her off of it for a while. I've been a little under the weather recently and have been tempted to use it but have refrained. It seems that this flyball training is wearing her out pretty good. I am about to try and get her use to walking beside the bike so we can start doing that together but I'm a little nervous about starting that too young with growth plates and all...I was thinking 10 months to a year???

Thank you to everyone on this board...everyone is so kind and helpful...it's nice because some forums aren't a thing like this one!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:08 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yup, Chris has excellent suggestions as always, and he's really learned to think like a Lacy. I mean that in a good way, promise ;)

I'm glad to hear the flyball is working out for you! Really, I'm so excited to see a Lacy do that, because I know from watching Sadie that they have all the right moves, but I think we'll end up concentrating on agility. What exercises are you doing and how often do you practice?

Also, with the bike, you could start with the basic right now. It's always best to spend a few weeks just getting them acclimated to running next to you, staying away from the wheels and listening to your commands. Sadie got to the point that she could see the front wheel turning and would go in the right direction automatically. In an attempt to get her under control, I was doing several miles once or twice a week starting at 9 months. But you could go around the block a few times starting much younger than that.

And I'm glad you like it over here, it's great to have you!

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:13 am 

Chris,

We are glad you are here. Don't get in trouble at work... Keep us posted when you get a free minute!

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training