Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post subject: how far
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:19 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Roy started running the dogs along with him on the 4-wheeler while he was retired. He would run them up to the gate and then let them just meander back. I have been taking the boys with me to the mailbox, which is 3 miles.

The first time I let them run part way and then made them ride with me on the more public part of the road. Today, they ran most of the way. I let them choose the speed. At first, they run full speed and pretty much stay on the road. As they begin to get tired, I slow down and let them just mosey at their own speed. Of course, this also means that they run back and forth across the road and may run after something, etc. At the gate, there is a water trough and Larry cools off in it and Abe just gets a drink. They rode from the gate to the mailbox with me, then on the way home, they just did a nice slow lope. We stopped again at the water trough and then chased some cows, just to prove they could, and then we came on home.

So, the reason I am posting this is that I have a question for all of you hog hunters, or any one else who runs their dogs. How far would it be safe to run a lacy, considering that they are in good condition and the weather is not too hot? I would say that the dogs ran about 5 1/2 miles today and seem to have a lot more umph to go, altho I wouldnt run them anymore today. They never just walked any. I let them stand in the shade for a minute or two, but then they took off on their own. When they were running just easy, I was doing between 5 and 10 mph.

I worry some because I have a nephew who runs in marathons. He ran in the Chicago Marathon a few years back and people were allowed to have their dogs to run with them. However, some dogs died, so they dont allow dogs in the marathon anymore. So, I would hate to think that I ran my dogs and wasnt aware that they were worn out!! I think that Brian Treadwell said that his dogs can run cattle around 12 miles. I'm just curious to hear what some of you others run your dogs at.

Thanks,
Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Re: how far
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:07 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Ms. Betty,

On most hog hunts, our dogs run over 15 miles within 2 or 3 hours (and that's in rough terrain). I think they'll let you know when they're tired.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:54 am 

There is a doggy odometer on our GPS tracking equipment and it tracks the overall distance that each dog traveled during any given hunt. The longest that I have seen one go was 27mi in one long hunt and right at 50mi for a weekend. Ill tell you right now, that was pushing it and my dogs didn't walk right for a couple of days afterward.

The average hunt is probably in the 15mi range.

I dont really know how that relates to your question except to say that the dogs should have no issue what so ever with a 6mi run.

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:49 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Thanks, ya'll. I figured that they were ok on the 6 miles. They didnt really look tired and were still loping along and I wasnt pushing them, they were doing that on their own. Had they started lolly-gaggin' I would have stopped and let them ride with me. Abe thinks that he can fly, so when he rides with me, I have him sitting in front of me and I have to hold onto his collar, or he is GONE!! Even for a Lacy, he thinks he is indestructable and he has double springs on his feet!!!

I just am a big sissy about maybe doing something bad for my dogs! :-D

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:23 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Unless we go 20 miles or so, Sadie is as spry as a spring chicken after the hunt!

Now that I've seen the distance they cover on the GPS, I don't feel so bad about not being able to wear her out on my own. I would take her on 4 miles hikes, then I worked up to 10 mile bike rides, and nothing made a dent 8-| Now that I see the incredible endurance Lacys have, I'm not surprised I had such a difficult time. These days, I don't even try to wear her out, I just try to take the crazy edge off during the week and pray we make it to the weekend.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:03 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I know, they dont wear down. Roy would take them for a run in the morning, play ball with them in the afternoon, then we all would go for a walk in the evening. Then, Roy might play ball with them for a while as I would be fixing supper. He would come in and say 'I think I have worn the dogs down so that they wont be so hyper while we are watching t.v.' WRONG!! They would still beg him to play with him after supper. They get real active after supper and Abe just cant be ignored!! He will take a toy and put it in Roys lap. If Roy doesnt throw it, Abe will lightly bite at his hand, kinda taking his hand and putting it on the toy! They just never cease to amaze me. Even when they appear to be worn down and resting, the slightest noise or movement will have them up and going again.

Apartments and the like have to be hell on the dog and the owner alike!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:12 pm 

Our dogs ran a little over 15 miles this morning..and you can't tell
Mrs. Betty I don't think you're gonna hurt them ;)

~Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training