Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:46 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Court, it's on, I'll keep you posted. I can also try to get more blood. Well, I try to get Steve or Will to get more blood.

What is the surgery for? I hope it's nothing serious. Get well soon and let us know if you need any help.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:53 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Courtney,
Hunting has been awful here at our place. It is finally looking up, tho, I think. We have seen a couple of good bucks when walking the past few days. And, Roy said that the feeder that he shot the doe at yesterday had tracks all over it. Plus, he saw a nine point at the same feeder, so hopefully its gonna pick up. We have never had so few deer coming to the feeders. We have one feeder that is knee deep in corn. Even the coons arent eating the corn!! Last year when I would go walking, I could count on the dogs or me scaring up deer in at least 3 areas. This year, we can walk the entire length of our walk and not see anything!! Hopefully, now that it is getting cold, it will pick up! I'm glad to hear that its not just us!!

Hope that your surgery goes ok!! Let us know.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

It been that way at our lease near Fredericksburg too. I suspect it's due to a combination of things: we had an exceptionally dry summer, we didn't feed between March and August because of the high cost of corn, the landowner overgrazed this year and the pasture is nothing but rocks and bare dirt (the deer have no cover,) and to top it all off, we had a good acorn crop. We think our resident deer herd branched out to neighboring ranches over the summer and hasn't had a reason to come back.

Now the ranch where I worked has had a great year. Despite a good acorn crop, deer were hitting feeders pretty regularly and once the rut kicked in, big bucks were visible eveywhere. Of course that property has enjoyed a very low deer density, tight buck to doe ratio, very light hunting pressure, and timely rains.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training