Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post subject: Re: Tree question
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:26 pm 

Dont worry about your Lacys being open on track. I have never seen a good blooded Lacy open on track even when ran with dogs that were open. I donot belive that you can train a dog to be open or silent on track. It is what they were born with. J.M.H.O.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:48 pm 

jim b wrote:
Dont worry about your Lacys being open on track. I have never seen a good blooded Lacy open on track even when ran with dogs that were open. I donot belive that you can train a dog to be open or silent on track. It is what they were born with. J.M.H.O.

Jimmy,
I know I havent been around dogs near as long as you BUT....... I have to disagree with that statment and have facts to back it up. Just this morning. I went and hunted with a hunting buddy of mine. We both have bellymates out of a linebred cur line(old line). The guy we got them from is also someone we hunt with. ALL dogs are 100% silent. Buddy from this morning runs semi open dogs. By semi, I mean they will yelp here and there on hot tracks. His pup is semi-open. He learned it from the older dogs. These dogs are 8mths.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:55 pm 

Semi open is one thing but FULL OPEN like a hound is another. A lot of dogs will yelp a little on a hot track but that is not open. And as i said i have NEVER seen a GOOD BLOODED LACY open on track. If it is crossed with something else it might open.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:47 pm 

I agree Jimmy, you can hunt a silent hound all his life with open dogs, and he's not going to change. I don't have the expirience with Lacys but if any breed I have hunted didn't open, locate, or what ever they weren't going to learn it from another dog, it had to be there to start with.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:01 pm 

Maybe this link will explain the title points better.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/Rule ... fromUKCand

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:32 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Rebecca, I say go for it :-BD I know Albert Pina used to occasionally run his Lacys on coons, but I haven't heard any stories about it, and I'd love to hear some! It is obvious your dogs have the drive to hunt and the tendency to tree. And since they have an owner that likes to hunt too, you should head for the woods, no doubt about it.

The only reason people worry about open or closed mouthed with hogs is that they will run for miles with an open mouthed dog. Unlike coons or cats or bears that will climb a tree, hogs will just keep going, and most people don't want to or aren't allowed to run for miles to catch a pig. That is the reason most cur breeds are silent, they were selectively bred to have that trait for the game they hunt. I don't think you'd ever get a Lacy to bawl like a hound, but even if they did start to peep on track, it doesn't matter. If you don't want to run hogs, there is nothing to worry about. Just go out and have fun with those dogs!

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:07 pm 

Julie,
You and Steve will have to come over for a hunt one day. I use to think the samething about dogs that mouth on track. I personaly dont want my dogs to.......but we have caught alot of hogs behind dogs that do. If they have the speed..........

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:14 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Last year I spent a very long night listening to a Plott mix bark on track. We'd think they were bayed up and try to run in, but then the "bay" would move. She just kept barking and the pig kept going. When they finally got it stopped it was 50 pounds. /:)

I loved hearing the Walkers at the last Bremond bay, aptly named High Bawl and Train, but that only lasted 2 minutes. Are all your new dogs open on track?

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:59 pm 

I like the idea of trapping the coons first but we've had very little success lately. They are tearing up my friends corn patch and actually throwing husks all over the ground, under the trees and even on top of the live traps. He's usiing sardines and peanut butter mixed as bait. yum.. I guess that just doesn't compete against fresh tender corn ears.
I just remembered that way back in the day we use to run fox with hounds just to listen to them bark and run.. Called it a race?? Never did anything other than ride around the woods listening for dogs; can't remember what the objective was other that that. I don't think it was to actually kill the fox. July and walker crosses were used if I recall correctly--that's been 33 yrs ago!
Amos will yip a little when he first starts running when he's real excited. Other than that all of them are quiet. It makes sense to be quiet it you want to get close and not give whatever you after too much warning.
Appreciate the tips. If anyone has a better coon trap bait please let me know. Oh, tried honey buns too.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:07 pm 

Julie,

Like I said. Speed. The dogs arnt full open. Two will give some mouth when they strike the track. We have had more problems with bays breaking here latly. Seems that we might not be the only ones running the woods around here anymore at a few of our spots.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:17 pm 

Wasn't this a treeing thread?? Savoy you and your ADHD :))

Rebecca try a can of tuna!! that or canned cat food. Thats what we baited ours out with and it works.

Can't hardly blame them for wanting that yummy corn :)) Do you have a roll cage?
Sure works good for training after you catch the coon.

~Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:14 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

You have to have the trap set just right too. I think that makes as big of difference as the bait. We couldnt catch anything, for a while, then we changed the way we were setting the trap and now we catch them. I'm sure that Jimmy will offer some help!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:08 pm 

Try to keep it as sent free as possible, and I'd get away from that food rich environment a little ways. I'm sure the real trappers can help ya out with this.

The roll cage is a good idea. Let the coon run in it also to lay a trail then at a convenient spot walk up hook a rope on it and pull it up a tree. then after they track and tree you can let it down for them to bay. When you get that down take a trip to that corn field one night. Good game rich environment to start them.
I used to do this with coon feeders. A lot of times I'd ease in there with a pup and the bucket would still be swinging. :))

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:10 pm 

Sorry. Got side tracked.

I say go for a hunt. Even if the dog picks up barking on track it wont matter much anyways. Have fun and take pics!!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:32 pm 

Back a couple years ago when we were training Copper (My red bone) we caught some coons (with tuna & a cage trap) then when we got them home Mike put one in the roll cage and then the other in this bigger pen under my Primrose Jasmine.

I have pics somewhere of him baying the roll cage in the tree but can't find them right now..did find this one tho of him finding the coon in the ground cage..

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training