Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post subject: Lacies for Lions
 Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:04 pm 

I was wandering if anybody had any tips for training lacies for Mountain Lions. I've got experience with training hounds and curs for lions and have been told lacies aren't much different. But I want to learn more about the breed before I go jumping into it like I would a hound Any tips and pointers would be appreciated.

When the tailgate drops the bullshit stops.

"If some of our teenage thrill seekers really wanna go out and get a thrill let them go up into the northwest and tangle with a grizzly bear, polar bear a brown bear they'll get a thrill that will cleanse the soul" Fred Bear

Post subject: Re: Lacies for Lions
 Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:58 pm 

I don't know a darn thing about cats but when training hog dogs, Lacies prove little different than curs.

I can tell you that I'm glad to see your question. Its obvious that your intention is consistent with hunting your dogs. I respect and appreciate that.

Stick around a while and let us know how it goes. I have never heard a first hand account of a Lacy as a lion dog. One of my pups is making a bobcat dog though, the guys Trigg Hounds were not putting enough enamel in their asses and my understanding is that the Lacy rectified that situation.

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:11 pm 

well this is a good question because thats what I want my dogs to run. I havent had them under the tree yet but i cannot wait till next winter. In my experience of running hounds or more of being with houndsmen, the bobcats are much harder to catch. Ive been under alot more lions than I have bobs. It also depends if you are running dry ground or snow? Im sure on a smokin hot track they will beat everyone to the tree. That is the one reason I want to get at least two dogs goin before I turned out on a lion. If just one gets there and the tom wants to fight, that dog might be in trouble. get two of them at the bay and that cat better tree! I have a bluetick that is a fast movin dog and Sage makes him look slow.
I really wanted to run the lacys on bobs because of the tricks they will play when they hear the hounds coming. jumping trees, figure eights, hopin rocks and logs etc. I figured with the lacys silent on the track they will get there before the bob knows what to do, leaving him the only way out, up a tree. Now if he is a jumper I think these dogs are smart enough and fast enough that it just might be game over for the bob?
I have heard there is a guy in CA. that uses them on bear, and that makes sence because how fast and far a bear will run before it trees. I dont run bear so I wouldnt know about that one...lol

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:26 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I agree with Steve, I can not see much difference in training a cur and a lacy. It is hard for me to tell people about training these dogs because they have away about them. I talked to a guy in NM that said his best lion dog was a lacy, redbone cross. I will tell you that these dogs are not going to work like a hound. They are medium nose dogs at best and will "cheat" a hound by winding. I would love to have a chance to run a lion with dogs much less with a pack of lacys. What part of the country are you in? Alot of our best lion country here in TX is ROUGH making it hard to run dogs. I have turned my dog out on some bobcats down in this country only to be beat by jumping catus. Our dogs came back with so much catus in them it took hours to get it all out. Best of luck and let us know.

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:44 pm 

Thank's for the tips guy's I don;t usually get this much support since I'm only 16. And the answer to Robbys' question is I live in central Nevada and I can probly garentee the country here is rougher than there in TX. I only have one lacy but another one is in the plans.

"If some of our teenage thrill seekers really wanna go out and get a thrill let them go up into the northwest and tangle with a grizzly bear, polar bear a brown bear they'll get a thrill that will cleanse the soul" Fred Bear

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:21 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Hey catchaser!

I don't have much to add about hunting cats. I've never done it, but I'll second the guys that training a Lacy will be similar to training a cur. They're about as far from a hound as you can get. And I'd say they have a lot more brains but a little less bottom than the Catahoulas and BMCs I've hunted behind. So I'm sure it will be a very interesting experiment!

As far as being 16, anyone that is serious about their Lacys is welcome here. I know quite a few young hunters, a couple who are active on this board, who are impressively dedicated to their dogs. So please ask questions and share stories too!

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:50 pm 

Hey Cory glad you made it to the forum!
Hope what all I touched on in the email helped !!
Mike has some friend that run big cats that he has a call into to see if we can't
get you some more help! They said tho that if you have grown trained dogs already
that running your Lacy with them is key and of course introducing them to what it is you want them tracking (Lion pelt )

Good Luck & Welcome
~Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:18 pm 

So you already have one? Where did it come from, how old is it and how is it doing so far?

Steve

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:32 pm 

Yea I got him from a lady in Fallon, NV. Ive had him for about a month now and so far he's done good on all the training aids I've had him on. And compaired to when I got him he's got a lot better handle loaded in the truck by himself after the first try.

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:00 pm 

Loaded in the truck by itself? So its not a pup is it? I'm glad to hear that its doing well. How old is it and how does it stack up against a hound at this age?

Steve

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:10 pm 

No he's a year year and a half some where in there. And I've had some hounds turn on faster but not many. Part of my hound bloodline some of them don't turn on 'til there 5-6 years old I don't know about you but thats what I call pacients. But I think he'll do ok. And can you say fast I've only got one hound he can't outrun while roading.

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:25 pm 

Ya, A good lacy dogs should turn on pretty young. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=741 :D

Hounds slow maturity is the main reason that I don't run them. I don't have the patience for that. All of our dogs better be finding hogs on their own at a year old.

What kind of hounds do you have? I have never seen one move as fast as a Lacy but I have not had the privileged of hunting behind too many hounds. For that matter, I have never run behind a Running Walkers and only very few Ticks or B&T. Most of my hound experience is with Plotts.

Steve

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:31 pm 

I've got a red-tick plott cross 2yrs, a plott stevens cur cross4yrs, a really papered up redbone 3yrs and a grade redbone 5yrs that is my lead dog. DON'T EVER ASK ME TO OWN ANY KIND OF WALKER. And know a buckskin lacy.

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:23 am 

Talk to me about that Plott X Stevens Cur. How big is it? What is its style, gritt and speed like? I assume its pretty open?

Steve

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:37 am 

She's super fast and super gritty. Not very open on trail or tree but on the ground she'll make you think there's 5 dogs in there. And besides the hound head she looks alot like a lacy. And probly only 35 pounds. I wish all my dogs were her size.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training