Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post subject: Range
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:31 pm 

well my pup is getting bigger everyday. and getting apersonality about her. I have a Dogo\AB pup thats about 3 months older than her and three times her size, but she can woop his but in a second. Man reason i am posting is im curiouse on how far yalls Lacy's ranged out? i have done all the reading on them. Just want to hear it from some real people that hunt them. (If you can understand that). Thanks again for all the help.

Post subject: Re: Range
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:48 pm 

Depends on the dog and what you consider range. Just to be clear, my definition of "range" is the distance that a dog will go searching for a track. The distance that a dog will go AFTER a track is located; I call bottom.

My dogs range anywhere from short, hunting in sight out to 200 yards until track is struck, to strong medium range, usually not seen and looping between 300yards and a half mile every time.

Every one of my dogs has bottom. I have no use for a dog with no bottom. Once they are on a hog or viable track, they better stay on it no matter how far it goes.

Each dog, even within the breed, is different but looking at the parents range (and other accolades) should give you a an idea of the pups potential.

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:47 pm 

Most I have seen are short range which work good for the smaller ranches around here. I have seen very few that are solid med range but most are what I would call short range. Just like any dog breed, it just depends on the blood. Where did you pup come from?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:49 pm 

Steve

thanks for the info, Yes that is what i mean about range. And i know that everydog is different. just trying to get an idea. thanks again.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:53 pm 

msavoy wrote:
Most I have seen are short range which work good for the smaller ranches around here. I have seen very few that are solid med range but most are what I would call short range. Just like any dog breed, it just depends on the blood. Where did you pup come from?

Agreed. Far more Lacy dogs (and most cur breeds too) are short range. Only a small percentage of them are solid medium range dogs. I have never seen a true long range Lacy Dog.

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:29 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Agreed, the majority are short range and a few are medium range.

Which makes sense if you think of the job they were created for. If you went to round up a bunch of free range hogs, you'd want to get your own pigs, not the neighbor's. A long range hound might run on to the neighboring ranch and that would have been a waste of your time and effort. I think that is the reason they have a warm nose as well. It seems logical that the fresher the track, the closer the hogs are. They're not cold nose hounds that will follow a half-day old track.

And for modern hog hunting, I think shorter range dogs with hotter noses are what you want these days, unless you like picking up collars from trigger happy ranchers.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:58 pm 

Julie,
I was thinking the same thing...... I couldnt put into words though.

I agree about the short range dogs, but I think it also depends on the style you hunt. I dont like to road my dogs anymore. I want them to hunt. A med range dog is what I am looking for. I want to cast them out.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:08 pm 

Julie I agree with you ;)

Trapper is a solid medium range Lacy.
Ox and Jagd are working towards that, and all three have bottom.

Now Ellie & Heidi are short range. Abby is short right now but she has only been in the woods a hand full of times. Ellie is all stick-to-it and Heidi had a gritty bottom before her injury and surgery.

After watching Mimzy I have a feeling she will be Trappers female counter part. Bear, only time will tell as he is 6 months old and has not been in the woods yet.

~Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:17 am 

Just about the only way we hunt is casting our dogs out and walking behind them. I just really like a dog that stays busy. weather it be short or med. range. but i was just wandering what the Average range of a lacy was. Yea i dont care to much about long range dogs. For those of you who hunt around east texas im sure you know Jonnie Lucas and his dogs hunt. They seem to get you more in Trouble :)). But they are some good dogs. Thanks for all the info guys

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:33 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I can almost guarantee you that Glory won't have anywhere NEAR the range of Johnnie's dogs. To me, that's a good thing, but everyone has their own preference. Most people would rather hunt hogs than dogs. ;) I agree with everyone else that most Lacys are short range, and a few are medium range.

Our dog Sunny (Glory's aunt) was turning into a good medium range dog, but I'm afraid I've stunted her range a little. The last place we lived didn't have a fenced yard, so when the dogs were out of their kennels, I had to watch them and I would call them back when they got close to being out of sight. After living there for a few months, her hunting range started dropping off. We're in a new place now and we've put up a turn-out area so we don't have to call them back. I'm hoping she'll eventually be back to her old self.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:24 pm 

Amber

I totally agree about hunting Hogs instead of dogs. Dont want mine to be like his at all.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working