Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post subject: cattle work
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:25 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Lucy got in a little cattle work yesterday. Roy and I drove to the mailbox, and of course, the dogs all have to go with us. A ways down the road, we saw a cow that was in the road. We went on to the mailbox, then when we came back down the road, Roy got out with Lucy and worked on getting the cow back over the fence. The fences there are pretty old and not so good, so he figured that they could get the cow to jump back over the fence. Roy sent Lucy out to get the cow and Lucy worked just like she should, getting the cow back to Roy, who was standing by the lowest spot in the fence. Between Roy standing where he was and Lucy working the cow, that cow did just what Roy wanted her to do. She proceeded to jump the fence and get back where she belonged. Its always fun to watch Lucy work. It wasnt a big deal, but having her there made it much easier for Roy to get the cow back over the fence. And, Lucy had some fun!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Re: cattle work
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:02 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

thats great

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:24 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

That is awesome Betty! Getting a cow back over a fence at a certain spot like that isn't easy. Lucy does such a good job of being an all-around ranch dog for you and Roy.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:08 pm 

Hey Betty,
That's a really good job where a good Lacy can help out. I have wheat or hay growing most times of the year (at least when it rains) that I don't need my cows in. Of course that's where thay want to be though. I can sometimes just go to the back porch and open the dog gate and send them out on their own. Usually they have them run out before I could even get there myself. But then there's always a hole in the fence that needs attention at that time too. LOL. Always something fun to do when running a cattle operation!!!!!! NOT.
Jimbo

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:30 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yeah, Jimbo, those fences are a pain!! Our neighbor used to lease his land out to a guy that ran Brangus cattle. He didnt take care of his cows, just bred them, sold the calves, bred them again. Didnt spend any money on feed when it didnt rain, that sort of rancher. I would go out to feed my cattle and the next thing I knew, I was feeding his cattle too. His cows could jump a fence in nothing flat! The only thing was, they never jumped it back!!! Then, it would take him 2 or 3 days to get out here and take them all back home again. Our fences are pretty old in some places and if they didnt jump them clear, then they tore them up! He made me so very mad!! We finally got the neighbor to quit leasing to him!!! We have another guy that leases it now and dont have a bit of trouble with his cattle. In fact,we did get a calf out of his Charlois bull. The bull visited, then went back home!!! Cant beat that!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:30 am 

Betty,
I share over a mile of fence with a neighbor just like that. He runs cows but doesn't fix fences. It's aggravating to say the least!!
Jimbo

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:36 am 

Here's another attemp at picture posting.... Rose and T on a cow.
Jimbo

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:42 am 

Another snap shot of Rose. The top pic is of a cow my dad calls "dog killer" she's one mean old gal!!!!
Jimbo

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:03 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Nice pictures, Jimbo! I bet those two make your job a lot easier!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:45 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Great pictures!! Send more!!

Do the dogs ever get close to the horns? I only have one cow with horns and she will always threaten with them! She's never really tried very hard to catch a dog with the horns tho.

We have a dangerous, crazy cow also. She scares the wits out of me at times!! She just doesnt have a bit of sense and once she gets stirred up, you really have to watch her. She ran over Robby on the 3 wheeler one day. If Rob hadnt have jumped off, the cow would have taken off his head!! If she has a calf with her, she's even worse. We really should ship her off to market!! Would make life easier around here!!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:20 pm 

Sweeeeeeeeeeet pics! You gotta love a Working Lacy .... :-BD

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:52 pm 

Thanks Y'all. Yeah, they sure do get in between those clown stabbers sometimes. It's interesting to see just how those cows know exactly where those horn tips are and how they try to hook with them. The dogs work in and out of those tips like crazy. Sometimes it's a bit scary to watch, hehe. Knock on wood neither of them have been hooked but both have been kicked a glancing blow or two. Once "T" (YBMC) tried to help me load one down the chute and stuck her head in between the pipes to bite one that was balking pretty bad. She came within a couple inches of getting kicked and in that tight space it would have broken her neck I'm sure if the old girl had connected with that kick. Scared the crap out of me but it did get the cow to jump on up in the trailer. I'm a lot more careful about that now!!
I have a bunch of ear tagging that I've been putting off (got to blame it on RIAN last weekend!!!). I'll try and get soome better pics maybe this weekend to share.
Jimbo and Rattlesnake Rose

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:06 pm 

hehe, been so long since I seen rain I forgot how to even spell it...
Jimbo

Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:40 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Awesome pictures Jimbo! I love the one where you can see Rose head on. I know from experience it isn't easy getting those cattle dog pics!

Do you usually ride or use a four wheeler to work your cattle? Or do those two dogs just do it all while you sit on the porch? :)) That's really not as far-fetched as it sounds. Helen Gibbs told us a story about her husband going to pick up a load of cattle. When he got to the ranch, there wasn't a cow in sight, and he was a little annoyed. Then the rancher sent out two Lacys. Not only did they bring the cows in, they loaded them in the trailer without a lick of help. I love those stories!

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:22 pm 

Usually I am either on one mule or the other. I have one with wheels and one with hooves. Usually I am just waiting at the gate I want them pushed through. It's funny how the cows learn pretty quick that they are going to have dog troubles if they are out of the herd. That brings them together and then as a herd they learn that they are stil going to have dog troubles until they get to where I'm at. Once the cattle are dog broke it gets a lot easier and it doesn't take long to get them dog broke either. Once we start roping and branding or ear tagging or whatever (calf fries) I usualy don't let the dogs help. My working pens are small and have several sorting gated lanes and pens so the cattle are easy to sort and such at that point. I can work about 75 head at a time. If I can figure out a way to do it from my recliner..... I'd give it a try, hehe.
Jimbo

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working